Old 17th September 2003, 03:32   #1
UltraZelda64

ASAPI or no ASAPI?

I have Windows XP Professional, and haven't used ASAPI as my CD reading method for years (since I upgraded from 9x). I was on a site earlier that says that even on NT/XP, ASAPI is the recommended method for ripping CDs. I don't have ASAPI installed (a pain trying to find a newer version without file conflicts). Is there really a difference in quality when ripping audio? Or what? What I do know, though, is that it's just an alternate way of reading CDs. But is it anything major? A site I was at earlier made me wonder, a site that explains the best ways to use EAC. I use EAC, and so far haven't noticed any problems with my files without the ASAPI files.
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2003, 06:30   #2
net-cruizer

I've been wondering the same thing for quite some time too.
I don't have ASAPI installed, and I use Winamp to rip, and it rips awsome copys. Although it does take 3 minutes to rip a song, for me anyways, which sucks. I could download at least 10 songs with K++ in that ammount of time, lol.
Lately I did install the newest version of ASAPI to see if there was a difference, but ended up not being able to rip anymore, so I uninstalled it.
So basicly, I've been wondering if it is important or better, etc. etc. Or if it's better without it.
net-cruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2003, 19:41   #3
UltraZelda64

"So basicly, I've been wondering if it is important or better, etc. etc. Or if it's better without it."

Yep, same here. I've always used CDex or EAC in secure mode, with what I think are the best options, and just now wonder if ASAPI really is any better since I read that page.
Old 18th September 2003, 01:13   #4
TypicalSloan

I was wondering that very same thing today.

My question is does it matter if the aspi u use is somewhat old? I just used the one from nero5 cause i couldnt get any of the newer ones to work.
TypicalSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2003, 02:15   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The Adaptec ASPI layer should only be installed on Win9x/ME systems, not on Win2k/XP.
On Win2k/XP, you can place the wnaspi32.dll file in the System32 dir
and tell the relevant program to use it instead of the Native WinNT SPTI Library (eg. in CDex options, uncheck "Use Native WinNT Library").
afaik, Winamp will use wnaspi32.dll by default if present.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2003, 23:51   #6
UltraZelda64

Okay, thanks. I've had the ASAPI install file for a long time now, never really used it, and I'll probably just delete it.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion