Old 8th January 2004, 19:51   #1
cootetom

Winamp 6

My wish is Winamp 6 although winamp 5 is still the best player available i'm not pleased with the move from winamp 3 to 5. Perhaps if you had a winamp 4 then the progression would have gone a bit better. There is so much that winamp 3 had but for some reason has been ditched in 5, yet those functions were popular and used often eg Winamp3 style queuing (play next), Why has it gone?

So my wish would be a Winamp 5 but this time include everything that was good from all the earlier versions. It would be like the ultimate winamp.
Old 8th January 2004, 19:52   #2
blast7

please search the forums as all of your questions have been answered in other threads.
Old 8th January 2004, 23:15   #3
Dipso

cootetom, You are very uninformed my friend, read through the forums and be enlightened.

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Old 8th January 2004, 23:58   #4
blast7

can you get your llama avatar to headbang any faster? maybe while holding a "horns up"? That would rule! :-)
Old 9th January 2004, 00:53   #5
cootetom

Guess what i have searched the forum and have read a lot of post's on this. The way i see it is the more people that demand something the more chance there is of getting it.

If a forum like this is cluttered with a lot of posts about the same thing then don't you think it should be taken into account as a lot of people want it.

Oh and if ur on about the queueing feature and the so called solution i have downloaded the plugin and it does not do the job.
Old 9th January 2004, 00:54   #6
DrO

what's the problem with the plugin?

-daz
Old 9th January 2004, 01:16   #7
cootetom

Ok sorry after reading that over again i realized it sounds like i'm saying the plugin doesn't work. The plugin works fine but what i mean is it should have been included in winamp from the start. Good job Dr0 for picking up the pieces.

Straying from my point here a bit now. Forget the fact that i mentioned the queue feature, there are a lot more features besides that that would make an ultimate winamp. An ultimate winamp 6.
Old 9th January 2004, 01:37   #8
Dipso

The problem with the post is that it sounds like you expected those features to be included in winamp 5.

Especially since you used the wording "removed"

The fact is,(and the reason for our replies) that nothing was removed from winamp as winamp 2.x and winamp3 are two completely seperate programs with two diferent core architectures.

Winamp 5 is a continuation of the 2.x core, not the winamp3 core (which now is the wasabi player core)

So you see, nothing has been removed in winamp 5, its just not been implemented (yet). Bringing functionality from winamp3 over to the new winamp 5 has been the intention of nullsoft from the very beginning of winamp 5, starting with the media library and the wasabi skin engine, and they will probably continue to bring functions and features over to winamp 5.

Also if you have a look at the wishlist sticky you will see that many of your features are already on the officiall wishlist and has therefore been brought to the attention of the developers allready.

Old 9th January 2004, 09:01   #9
Sandos

Lets just hope they don't bring all the features of WA3 over... That was exactly why WA3 was crap...its features were largly useless IMHO

WA5 is the 'sweet spot' in between the two, lets hope they don't bloat out WA5 like 3...

*hopes*
Old 9th January 2004, 15:40   #10
Ikarus7

this is the only post where i'm gonna comment on all the winamp3 topic.
when winamp3 was out, i thought : oh my god, they killed the philosophy of winamp, they killed the damn thing.
when winamp 5 came out, i thought : resurrection of a legend.
Old 9th January 2004, 16:18   #11
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

JTFE was going to be bundled with 5.01 up to at least 5 minutes prior to build, at which point, DrO was franticly trying to fix last minute bugs. maybe it'll be bundled in a later version. maybe not.

Old 9th January 2004, 17:15   #12
Dipso

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandos
Lets just hope they don't bring all the features of WA3 over... That was exactly why WA3 was crap...its features were largly useless IMHO

WA5 is the 'sweet spot' in between the two, lets hope they don't bloat out WA5 like 3...

*hopes*
I don't think the problem was the Features of winamp3 as much as the exectution.

The program was released to early, and as such had bugs and flaws. On top of that it operated diferently because it lacked funtions and features present in winamp2 (also due to an early release)

It did have many nice features however, some of which are mentioned here.

Just because a program has a lot of functionality doesn't make it bloat. All of the added functions will most likely (like the modern skin and the library) be plugins that are optional to install.

If you want a small download you can always get the lite version.

Old 9th January 2004, 17:53   #13
blast7

I liked WA3 personally.... I thought it added alot of features that were the reason I switched from WA2.x to WMP9..... granted it was released too early (pushed out by AOL is what I heard) and was somewhat slow (I have a fast machine so I didn't really notice) and crashed occasionally but for what it was I was happy w/ it.
Old 11th January 2004, 22:34   #14
tad0

i only miss one thing from w.3x

that is the poppler/sidecar that thing was damn useful.

oh yea and my favorite winamp 3 skin, ocrana, doesn't work quite right in 5, you can't see the thinger icons for some reason. But the thinger still works so it is no big deal.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist