Old 13th September 2001, 00:43   #1
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
FAO admin: What the members want

Hiya hey everybody,

I think it's time for some valueable additions to the notorious Winamp.com forums.

1st suggestion: A private forum for experienced members.
I seriously believe that many advanced members would be fond of a private forum for more in-depth discussions. The forums are really lacking such a place for experienced posters that basically deal with technical discussions, in my humble opinion. Also, with the strongly increasing number of members lately, more and more rather stupid posts come up that can actually being answered by either using the forums search or posting in the General Technical Support and Newbie Tech Support forums. Talking about those two forums: I think that newbies have enough space to talk and learn. It has come to a point that experienced members need some space as well to discuss and chat on "their" level. Access to such a private forum for "Elite Members" should be limited to valueable members only, meaning not more than 20 or 30 members total.

2nd suggestion: Better user titles.
I personally, as well as many other members - regular posters and new users - would love to have a newer / better selection of user titles than the current ones. I think Junior Member, Senior Member, Major Dude, Forum King sound pretty unoriginal. Lately, some of you might have noticed that "llama - enabled " - titles (such as llama apprentice, super llama and so on) came up temporarily, just for a couple of days, which many people actually found very cool and refreshing. Forum members would love to have maybe funnier titles that change often, like once a week or so. I personally think that this would add freshness to the forums than the "standard" and permanent standard titles can ever provide.

I would not be surprised if numerous members as well as some moderators share the same wishes with me. Those two suggestions would noticeable enhance the forum experience, in my humble opinion.

Many moderators already agree with those two additions already, this is to tell the admin power what people actually want.

Thank you for reading this, I hope this will get some feedback .

Peace.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2001, 00:56   #2
Bop
Forum King

about your first suggestion; i think that would be a horrible idea, 1st because of the number you mentioned, i think that there are some really interesting people here, who would consider themselves experienced members and might not be included in the list (who would make the list anyways?)--> i've been here since december 2000 and have tried to post very descriminantly- but i doubt that i would be chosen. I, like, anybody else here wants to participate in serious threads and would be shut out from that opportunity. 2nd, people would flood the forums requesting to be in that elite forum. it would cause a lot of problems. plus its not really fair-> to pick a few people and essentially say they are better than the rest. be patient and understanding with the new folks; they're not all bad.

ßoþL¡©¡†¥
Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2001, 01:00   #3
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Llama Titles, Yes or No, Vote here.
http://64.12.38.241/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59878

Last edited by Wildrose-Wally; 13th September 2001 at 01:18.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2001, 01:01   #4
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

no no no what budgie wants... im not saying your ideas are bad (truthfully i didnt read them) but i honestly think that you arent qualified to speak for everyone. if your gonna speak for someone you should ask what they want you to say first.

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2001, 01:04   #5
PabUK
Major Dude

No to 1, yes to 2.

Like Boplicity said, there are too many problems with your first idea. How do you chose exactly who gets in? Who is to say who deserves that privledge out of the many thousands of members here? Everyone would want in, and any decent conversations would probably get repeated out in the open forums anyway so that everyone can express their opinion, as it should be.

In support of aggressive sex with llamas, and freedom from the obligation to explain.
Pawhosting.com | Pawsoft.com | Pawdesign.com | PabUK.com
PabUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2001, 01:05   #6
Budgie
Major Dude

It's not about flooding the forums about requests to be added to such a forum. The members of such an "Elite" private forum would be picked by moderators who think are valueable to be chosen. Silently, not public!

Experienced members, especially Tech Freaks, need space to talk about in-depth stuff, without being interfered by stupid & lame posts. There ain't space for people who are very frequent posters in the tech support forumsm, who are NO mods. And, you have to admit, there is no such a place available yet. Experienced Tech Freaks want some dedicated space to talk freely without being interfered by lamers and newbies, adding confusion and frustration. For newbie tech concerns, we have the Newbie Tech Support Forum .

There already is a Newbie Tech Forum, so why not adding a private Elite Tech Discussion forum only for a small, dedicated number of valueable members?

Also, there's a similar area only accessible for the mods and admins, as you probably know, so why not adding such an area for non-mods, but valueable members?

My $0.02.

Peace.

Old 13th September 2001, 01:07   #7
steady puffin'

NO.......and NO
steady puffin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2001, 01:10   #8
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
Aye on both counts.

The smiley slot machine! | Quotable Blog
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2001, 01:10   #9
WolfieD

its like a backstage for members, also.
Old 13th September 2001, 01:12   #10
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Omit Name
no no no what budgie wants... im not saying your ideas are bad (truthfully i didnt read them) but i honestly think that you arent qualified to speak for everyone. if your gonna speak for someone you should ask what they want you to say first.
Then why the heck do you post here if you did not even read my suggestions?! That's what I would call being a LAMER.

Also, I am not speaking for everyone, I just bring up suggestions that - besides my humble self - many other valueable members think are worth it and actually overdue.

Peace.

Old 13th September 2001, 01:15   #11
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

dude?!?! calm... i posted what i did after reading the title of this thread "what the members would like" and wasnt even really referencing what you said at all.

Old 13th September 2001, 01:15   #12
steady puffin'

stop saying 'peace'
Old 13th September 2001, 01:19   #13
Budgie
Major Dude

Also, what I can see already, is that basically the experienced members, such as griffin and WolfieD, both joined quite a long time ago in 2000, support the suggestions I made.

Now look at the newly joined members, all joined very lately, such as Omit Name and steady puffin', who actually just arrived here, say that these suggestions are bad. People like you should just stay here in the Gen Dis forums, that's what they are good for .

That's why I say experienced members need such a private forum, like a backstage area for valueable members, just as WolfieD said ...

Peace, still. I say Peace as much as I want

Old 13th September 2001, 01:23   #14
Budgie
Major Dude

I also never said that we should have Llama titles - I said we should have funnier, refreshing titles that change like once a week or so: Dynamic titles. And that does not imply Llama titles only!

Do you newbie members actually read posts that are longer than five lines?!

Peace.

Old 13th September 2001, 01:23   #15
steady puffin'

ok no.. dude, its really annoying. either make it into your sig or don't say it at all. its not like we're all thugged out hippy whiggers over here.
Old 13th September 2001, 01:24   #16
PabUK
Major Dude

Well I didn't just arrive here and I disagreed with your suggestion so are you going to come up with an excuse for that? I think you have to let people have their opinions rather than trying to speak for them.

In support of aggressive sex with llamas, and freedom from the obligation to explain.
Old 13th September 2001, 01:25   #17
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
dude?!?! calm... i posted what i did after reading the title of this thread "what the members would like" and wasnt even really referencing what you said at all.
Then why do you post at all if you just read the subject?

That is exactly what I mean with experienced members need a private forum, away from stupid posts.

Peace.

Old 13th September 2001, 01:25   #18
steady puffin'

why dont you make a poll or two to see who wants your ideas?
Old 13th September 2001, 01:26   #19
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

Quote:
the ideas arent that bad budgie im not trying to contest you i just wanted to make the point that your not a liable voice for this comunity not because your a bad member or anything but because you didnt ask if that was what all the members wanted. i put it there just in case someone thought you did honestly

peace ???

Old 13th September 2001, 01:29   #20
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by steady puffin'
ok no.. dude, its really annoying. either make it into your sig or don't say it at all. its not like we're all thugged out hippy whiggers over here.
- What kind of weird attitudes do you have, pal?

Peace = Have a nice day. Is anything wrong with that? I don't think so.

@PsyPab: What are you talking about? Excuse? What? Dude, you obviously did not follow stuff that happened backstage recently, did you?

Peace.

Old 13th September 2001, 01:30   #21
Revrick

i'm new so I would be excused from said elite status by default and so to would all new members. this would be an unfair and inexcusable error of judgement by winamp.com some members may have been around the system longer than others and opted not to be in the forums or like me just never found a reason to submit here. does this disqualify me because someone chooses you over me as you seem to be more proactive on discussions here. either way it doesnt affect me at all but i do think if it were created it just shuffles more animosity towards people that are considered peers. i think that secrecy breeds ignorance and hate. i don't think either of which belong in forums at all.

as for your title suggestion i believe the titles as a whole and the post counting thing to have a very discrimating effect amongst members. as shown above someone from dec 2000 had 380 post yet a newer member had 2000 etc and by default people think the one with less is not as proactive etc. the titles are a two way street that can backfire for some. i saw someone with a title of major dud while a bit funny it was contemptable that someone would give out a title like that. everytime you single people out more people begin to breed alliances and disagreements. drawing lines in the sand so to speak. i would say get rid of post counting, titles, and make as much available to the members of all forums as possible so that the decisions of the forums and things happening can be seen by all.
Revrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2001, 01:33   #22
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
why dont you make a poll or two to see who wants your ideas?
A): Because people are sick of polls.
B): Did you actually read my very first post in this thread? I said Many moderators already agree with those two additions already, this is to tell the admin power what people actually want. Why don't you all not read
this thread?!?

Peace.

Old 13th September 2001, 01:35   #23
steady puffin'

hey budgie, i'm saying that u saying peace is really gotten pretty annoying. and your name is from a kids show that my brother watches.
Old 13th September 2001, 01:35   #24
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally posted by Revrick
i'm new so..... i saw someone with a title of major dud while a bit funny it was contemptable that someone would give out a title like that.
You are new, and don't know the story behind this title. It's a long one, and if you knew it you would not find it contentable I think. Start reading some of the older threads in the skinlovers forum and you might find out what I am talking about.

Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2001, 01:35   #25
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

peace = good. for sig, in general, or common closing phrase alike.

missy signs off "-missy" all the time and shes cool as hell

practice peace and be more peacefull

Old 13th September 2001, 01:35   #26
chiquita chad
Forum King

budgie... you're suggesting a forums for ppl who frequent the tech forums, have been registered for a long while, and have a vlauable voice on all matters... so this narrows it down to you, sawg, neorenegade, and DJEgg... face it, the forums for "elite" members aint gonna fly

and i registered before you did

Artist Track
chiquita chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2001, 01:37   #27
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Revrick
as for your title suggestion i believe the titles as a whole and the post counting thing to have a very discrimating effect amongst members. as shown above someone from dec 2000 had 380 post yet a newer member had 2000 etc and by default people think the one with less is not as proactive etc. the titles are a two way street that can backfire for some. i saw someone with a title of major dud while a bit funny it was contemptable that someone would give out a title like that. everytime you single people out more people begin to breed alliances and disagreements. drawing lines in the sand so to speak. i would say get rid of post counting, titles, and make as much available to the members of all forums as possible so that the decisions of the forums and things happening can be seen by all. [/B]
That's another reason I vote for more funnier, refreshing and dynamic titles, that change once a week or so.

Please, read my first post thoroughly before you post. That applies to everybody

Peace.

Old 13th September 2001, 01:37   #28
steady puffin'

who sais people are sick of polls? no they;re not. i might as well make a poll asking if people are sick of polls? if they were then polls wouldnt be a feature in this forum.

Peace
Old 13th September 2001, 01:38   #29
PabUK
Major Dude

I am aware of the stuff that has been happening around here, what has that got to do with what I said?

Old 13th September 2001, 01:44   #30
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by chiquita chad
budgie... you're suggesting a forums for ppl who frequent the tech forums, have been registered for a long while, and have a vlauable voice on all matters... so this narrows it down to you, sawg, neorenegade, and DJEgg... face it, the forums for "elite" members aint gonna fly
Wrong. You all don't understand. I never said that the only people for such a forum would be sawg, NeoRenegade, DJ Egg and myself. I said that it should be kept small, still, to approx. ~20 - 30 members, frequent posters, mainly Tech Support Freaks, from all Tech Forums, including Bug Reports and Plugin Tech Support. And that is quite a lot already. Including PP and other very valuable developers.

@ steady puffin': You know what, you are seriously starting to piss me off. First, you said NO without giving reasons, which is very stupid at all. If you post stuff like that, then please don't post at all. Referring to usernames: Your name does not sound good either, sounds wannabe-ghetto. Have you ever been in a real ghetto? I guess not. Ignorant. Grow up.
If you don't like me saying Peace, then, ah well, I don't give a damn .

Peace.

Old 13th September 2001, 01:47   #31
steady puffin'

k, i said No cause i disagreed with ur ideas. ok?

...and maybe i am wanna-be ghetto and no, i've never been in ghetto, what are u gonna accuse me for being wanna-be? every body is a wanna-be in their own ways.

Peace
Old 13th September 2001, 01:48   #32
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by PsyPab
Well I didn't just arrive here and I disagreed with your suggestion so are you going to come up with an excuse for that? I think you have to let people have their opinions rather than trying to speak for them.
All I did was bring up some suggestions, anything wrong with that? I don't think so. Actually, those two suggestions have already been checked with the mods earlier, and the vast majority agreed.

Peace.

Old 13th September 2001, 01:49   #33
PabUK
Major Dude

But would you explain what a group of 20-30 tech support freaks would want to talk about on their own? Tech support issues? Hardly. So what? And if you are that desperate why not just create your own forum somewhere else and only invite all this elite members to it, what would the difference be?

Old 13th September 2001, 01:54   #34
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
k, i said No cause i disagreed with ur ideas. ok?

...and maybe i am wanna-be ghetto and no, i've never been in ghetto, what are u gonna accuse me for being wanna-be? every body is a wanna-be in their own ways.

Peace
Buddy, discussion is about giving reasons, and all you said is NO, which is basically useless, as no reasons are given . Alrite, I of course see that you disaree with my suggestions, which is actually clear as you are a new member and basically never posted in any of the Tech Forums. Yet nevertheless, taking part in a discussion without giving reasons for saying yes or no is just ... USELESS.

Peace. And what is wrong with my username? If you don't like it, well, I don't give a damn either. I was saying that before you talk garbage about other people's usernames, look at your own username first and then judge.

Old 13th September 2001, 01:55   #35
steady puffin'

i agree with Psy. plus making such a forum would make all the other members wona get in and they;d get all jealous.
Old 13th September 2001, 01:57   #36
chiquita chad
Forum King

all you want is a forum that you're a part of and everyone else isnt. show me the post where the majority of the ppl agreed with your ideas, if it exists, ill shut up...

btw, i think its damn hilarious that you call yourself a freak... kinda shows waht kina person u are and what kinda self esteem you have towards yourself

Artist Track
Old 13th September 2001, 01:59   #37
steady puffin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Budgie

Buddy, discussion is about giving reasons, and all you said is NO, which is basically useless, as no reasons are given . Alrite, I of course see that you disaree with my suggestions, which is actually clear as you are a new member and basically never posted in any of the Tech Forums. Yet nevertheless, taking part in a discussion without giving reasons for saying yes or no is just ... USELESS.

Peace. And what is wrong with my username? If you don't like it, well, I don't give a damn either. I was saying that before you talk garbage about other people's usernames, look at your own username first and then judge.

wow!!! so ur puting words in my mouth now huh?/ im talking garabe? where;d u hear that? why dont u RE-READ my post. and are you saying i cant say NO anymore? the forums have gone really corrupt because people tell other people what they CANT do.

Peace
Old 13th September 2001, 01:59   #38
Budgie
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by PsyPab
But would you explain what a group of 20-30 tech support freaks would want to talk about on their own? Tech support issues? Hardly. So what? And if you are that desperate why not just create your own forum somewhere else and only invite all this elite members to it, what would the difference be?
Members of the private forums would talk about in-depth discussions, of course mainly exchange experience with each other, making the existing Tech Support Forums even better.
Unfortunately, talking about stuff like that in the "open" forums is hardly possible without confused newbies or lamers interfering, posting either stupid stuff or concerns that would belong to the usual Tech Support Forums instead.

Peace.

Old 13th September 2001, 02:01   #39
PabUK
Major Dude

In that case I already solved your problem in the post you quoted - get your own private forum and admin it so you chose who is a member or not and that way you can have those little discussions you so badly crave.

Old 13th September 2001, 02:02   #40
chiquita chad
Forum King

it aint happening.

sounds more like a plan for selective breeding

Artist Track
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions