Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Bug Reports

View Poll Results: What should poor 73kn0p#463 do?
Reinstall WinAmp 3, its your best hope... 1 33.33%
Remove WinAmp 3, reinstall WinAmp 2! 0 0%
Try whatever Tech Support tells you and keep working with them until you either fix the problem or explode in a firey ball of death. 1 33.33%
Throw poor Timmy down a well and set a trap for Lassie, then sell both to hungry families in third world countries. 2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th October 2002, 06:36   #1
Teknophage

Angry Wanna hear the most irritating sound imaginable?

INSTALL WINAMP3

... then proceed to let it play for awhile with MIDIs, MODs, ScreamTracker files and MP3's all mixed together.

This is what I have a problem with: When utilizing WinAmp to play these file types in random and cross-fading, without internationalization (the horrid little beast it is, is in shackles), for more than fifteen minutes or sometimes even an hour or so... my audio will suddenly begin sounding like a once living corpse being dragged by steel chains from the back of a speeding Ford F-150 down the street from the right stereo channel. The left sounds perfectly clear, but much quieter when this happens.

Now first, I thought it was cross-fading. I turned it off. The problem returned. I then thought it was the random. I turned that off too. Problem still there. I even went as far as to remove ALL ScreamTracker, MOD and MIDIs from my playlist... Once again, the problem returned. So what gives?

Here's the wild kicker, after WinAmp3 does this weird corpse dragging, I close it and the problem remains with every single sound that comes from my sound card with the exception for maybe CD-Audio (haven't tried yet) and Microphone. So I'm assuming it to be a DirectX issue. The problem goes away after a restart.

I've verified I have the latest sound drivers from Creative Labs for the Creative Live!, which I've never had a problem with using other games and audio programs (including the last WinAmp 2 version before 3) and surely am I running XP and have been for awhile before 3 came out without anything remotely like this problem ever happening.

I'm really stumped on what to do. I'm at my last try: Reinstalling WinAmp 3. If the problem returns, I'll let you know for sure, but if this is a known issue, then lemme know if I'm just wasting my time with it. If it does come back after a reinstall, I'm going back to the last WinAmp 2 version. I'm tired of suddenly hearing Outlook's happy little menu slide sound turn into a sliding corpse across gravel and into a mailbox before speeding away with all my MP3s sounding similar.
Old 23rd October 2002, 19:01   #2
Teknophage

Exclamation EUREKA! I have the answer!

The problem has been identified better:

In playing any MIDI, even after reinstall, I have found that WinAmp leaves DirectMusic open for some reason. In leaving it open, it's probably a crash within WinAmp's use of DirectMusic to play MIDI. I've had directed output to my Soundblaster Live!'s Synth A port, and have switched it now back to the Microsoft MIDI mapper. Let's see if this makes a difference. I've also changed, just on a whim, my default DirectSound from the "Primary Driver" to my SoundBlaster directly. I'm thinking this might be an obscure error with WinAmp and not something common.

Reasoning behind the finger-pointing: I can play MIDI just fine from any other application with loads of MP3's for hours (Such as Media Player... ick...) and have nothing remotely similar happen as I do with WinAmp. I'm absolutely positive it isn't driver, DirectX or Microsoft related because of this. I've played MIDI, MOD, etc... with MP3's thrown in using several other multimedia players and still no similar corpse dragging sounds erupt.

Therefore, it most certainly is a WinAmp problem and it does have to do with either DirectSound or DirectMusic (DirectMusic is DirectX 8's MIDI sequencer). The reinstallation and subsequent recurrance of the problem proved that it isn't going to be easily resolved. I'm hoping my present changes to the settings will result in at least a temporary solution to the problem as I'm trying to avoid DirectSound/MIDI conflicts by forcing WinAmp to use BOTH DirectSound and DirectMusic, but to know the difference between the two. Maybe DirectX doesn't know WinAmp wants to play one through DirectSound and the other through regular device MIDI, so it's trying to play the MIDI through both device MIDI and DirectMusic, causing the crash?

Here's to hoping the solution is merely to associate the different playback methods by telling DirectX to play through only DirectX and to ignore playing directly to the Device...

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Bug Reports