Old 2nd December 2004, 20:39   #1
GIjoe2

Hosting Of A Webserver

Hey, I recently found a way to host my files off a website, who is willing to host them for free. Is there a way I can stream my radio of of that website, to set up a server running off the site, instead of my home computer, but stil being able to toy with it at home. This would also requre a sort fo redirecting of the files in winamp, am i correct? Thank you for your time, and be sure to visit us at www.bas-nr.tk thank you.
GIjoe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2004, 20:53   #2
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

Live365 does that kind of stuff -- http://www.Live365.com/ -- but I think you gotta pay to play.
djSpinnerCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2004, 20:56   #3
GIjoe2

Hmm, Maybe I didnt clarify enough. What I want to do is control the server off of my computer, but have the files hosted at a web address. I'm not sure of the possibilities but im wondering if there is a way to stream the radio off the site aswell, making it a dedicated server.

I wanna thank you DjSpinnerCee Aswell, as you have been around these forums whenever i am in need of help, thank you.
Old 2nd December 2004, 21:08   #4
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

You're asking a lot -- to move remote files to your couputer [to play them] takes bandwidth -- assuming you mapped a remote drive that could be used for WinAMP to play -- Internet disk space is expensive, never free, just like bandwidth.

The most cost effective way to put disk space on the internet is to use your own gear -- do you understand what I mean? -- MP3 files are typically large -- no one is gonna let you host the kind of remote disk space and bandwidth you need to be able to pull remote files across the internet for free.

Maybe the "why" would be more helpful ... there may be a more "creative" solution to your issue. What are you really trying to do?
Old 2nd December 2004, 21:40   #5
GIjoe2

What I want to know is that is there a way to have winamp play a file off the web as a link. www.whatever.com/123/ABC/Lovesong.mp3
I am assuming this would give me more bandwith because its being taken off somone elses computer. Im not completely sure this is possible, but dont worry about the file storage and such, assume I have all the space I would need. If you would be so kind as to tell me how I would go about setting this up I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 2nd December 2004, 21:56   #6
djSpinnerCee
Forum King

I assume you could create a playlist containing only http file links, but I don't know if the WinAMP DSP would re-sample them and stream them to your DNAS.

The "form" of a playlist will accept and allow hard disk references [c:\mp3s\filename.mp3] just the same as web based references [http://www.whatever.com/123/ABC/Lovesong.mp3] -- The WinAMP GUI inferface may not help you though -- you would have to manually create the .m3u or ,pls with a text editor, then load it in WinAMP. This is because WinAMP treats them differently. You may have to use "Soundcard input" to make it all happen.

If you're careful, it could work, but the bandwidth to download high bitrate files to be resampled and sent out needs to be bulletproof ... You are adding an additional chance for underrun at the source that isn't present when a playlist contains only local files.
Old 3rd December 2004, 01:30   #7
GIjoe2

Hmm, according to the add-file-url it seems possible so maybe ill test that and see where it goes from there.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support