Old 16th May 2000, 05:05   #1
Jointski

I am trying to put together a weekend-only broadcast and need advice on what kind of computer, sound card, etc. I should purchase (do I need a Pentium processor or can I use a AMD Athlon processor for winamp/shoutcast?). My computer experience is minimal but I do know something about musical equipment, sound processing and I can mix my ass of. Please e-mail me at jointski@iwon.com
Old 16th May 2000, 06:00   #2
Tom

Well your connection is the most important thing, if you don't already have I would look into dsl or cable, as for the computer I am sure several of us would recommend a system but could we have a little more info (i.e. price range, are you going to build it or get a premade system, is this the only use it will serve?)

And BTW it shouldn't matter between an Athlon or a PIII both should work with shoutcast.

Tom
http://players.shoutclub.net
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2000, 03:47   #3
Jointski

Thanks Tom for responding to my question. I just checked with Bell Atlantic and through Inforspeed I can get DSL and through Cablevision I can also use a cable modem. I am leaning towards DSL. As far as purchasing the computer, by budget is $2,000.00 and it will be used primarily for streaming music onto the net. I am versed on publishing payments but I just need to know what sound card works best and the amount of processing power that I need and RAM. My setup consist of 2 Technics 1200 MKII turntables, a UREI mixer, a Mackie 1604 16-track board and about 6,000 records. Does my connection decide how many people can hear my broadcast and if it does how many can listen using DSL?
Old 19th May 2000, 20:11   #4
Tom

Okay let's get the easy stuff out of the way first. Your connection, personally I perfer dsl over cable but the reason you need a high bandwith connection is for two reasons:
1st) People will connect to your computer to listen, however there are services like live365.com that will act as a relay for you as well, that way you can support more listeners than what you have bandwidth.
2nd) If you want to broadcast at anything above 24kpbs (somewhere around there) then a 56K will not cut it even for one listener.
As for how many listeners you can support it depends on your connection speed (it varies with dsl) and the bitrate you broadcast at, oh yeah and make sure to get a static IP address it will make life much more simple.

As for a processor, shoutcast and winamp are not very taxing on the system so you do not need the latest greatest in order for it to work. I would get a PIII in the 600 - 700 MHz range (as your budget allows). For RAM I would get at least 128 MB but don't exceed 256 MB (once again as your budget allows). And for the all important sound card I think the Sound Blaster Live Platnium would suit you well. Here is the link: http://www.soundblaster.com/products...m/features.asp you might want to check if it has the hookups you need.
Well there are my two cents, I hope others will give there thoughts as well.

Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions