Old 24th January 2001, 13:03   #1
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

During the past night, several "hooligans" invaded the forums and, in essence, spammed and flooded the Gen. Discussion forum with several post containing questionable pictures, comments, and taunts. While the forums are very much free speech based, the excess use of oversized pictures and derogatory comments were a bit too much. In the interest of all our beloved members, much of this material was edited and, in a couple of cases, users were temporarily banned until it is thought that they can conduct themselves in a useful manner. Our sincerest apologies to all who were offended by these peoples' offerings to our forums. Please know that the last thing any of us moderators want to do is refuse anyone access and free speech in these forums. I have been an active Winamp forum user since June 2000 due to the fact that I can share humor and knowledge here without the threat of being censored and am more than happy to say that each and everyone of you are allowed the same. Last evening was the first mass flooding of hateful propaganda I have witnessed here and hopefully the last. If it does happen again, please bear with us as we try to resolve the situation to the best of our abilities.
Thank you,
Chev
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2001, 13:18   #2
jns
Forum King

I have full understanding of the hell it must be to go through someone bitching around that much, although I didn't see any of that stuff myself, I know what idiots can do and how annoying they can become. Keep up the good work.

jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2001, 13:39   #3
СÐÜ

Send a message via ICQ to СÐÜ Send a message via AIM to СÐÜ Send a message via Yahoo to СÐÜ
ÎÒµ¹¡«
>£º£©
СÐÜ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2001, 13:41   #4
grzydj

Misinformation my friend, just another word for propaganda, you are all owned by AOL.

For great justice!
Old 24th January 2001, 13:44   #5
jns
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by СÐÜ
ÎÒµ¹¡«
>£º£©
Hmm.. how come I don't understand a single word of this?

jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2001, 13:57   #6
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Just for info, grzydj is also a regular of the SA web site who caused all this mess.
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2001, 14:09   #7
Indyrod
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by jns
Quote:
Originally posted by СÐÜ
ÎÒµ¹¡«
>£º£©
Hmm.. how come I don't understand a single word of this?
I just interpreted it. Took a while, but here is what I found. It means, "I am an asshole, please don't tell Mommy". pretty interesting huh?
Indyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2001, 14:10   #8
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

The guy said in another thread that he was Chinese.
Old 24th January 2001, 14:12   #9
Indyrod
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Twilightseer
Just for info, grzydj is also a regular of the SA web site who caused all this mess.
What is the SA web site? ("Super Assholes" or something). How about a link, I have some friends that want to visit it.
Indyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2001, 14:12   #10
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Moronese is often misinterpreted as Chinese
Old 24th January 2001, 14:12   #11
whoredog

Quote:

true dat. damn hooligans. i can't believe some of the things they posted. hurt my feelings.

big meanies.

why dont you go back to SA like the filthy dogs you are!!!
Old 24th January 2001, 14:19   #12
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Just for those who wonder, I've removed the post by Whoredog because it was a scam (false link leading to one of the pictures which these fucks like so much).
Btw, Whoredog, the party's over for you
Old 24th January 2001, 14:19   #13
whoredog

so...you just called chinese people morons...and we're the ones spreading propaganda?

that's weird.
Old 24th January 2001, 14:25   #14
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
...in a couple of cases, users were temporarily banned until it is thought that they can conduct themselves in a useful manner.
The only thing I can't understand is the 'temporary' part of this. everybody hates spammers, and it's widely known that it is forbidden here, so if they can't use the forums in a responsible manner then they shouldn't be here at all. I'm all for freedom of speech or whatever, but there are places for derogatory comments and questionable pictures.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2001, 14:34   #15
whoredog2

Quote:
Just for those who wonder, I've removed the post by Whoredog because it was a scam (false link leading to one of the pictures which these fucks like so much).
Btw, Whoredog, the party's over for you
I WAS TEACHING!!! the actual link (words...not hidden link) was a link to SA. and i was actually posting exactly this but you banned me.

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
...in a couple of cases, users were temporarily banned until it is thought that they can conduct themselves in a useful manner.
does this mean my other is un-banned? i'm running out of hotmail accounts trying to explain myself.

don't hate me. i was being nice the first time. the only reason i even came back was to explain myself. kinda. although i don't know why i did that.
Old 24th January 2001, 14:36   #16
monkeu

Quote:
Originally posted by whoredog
so...you just called chinese people morons...and we're the ones spreading propaganda?

that's weird.
ZIING!

ARGH ITS MORE HATEFUL PROPAGANDA!!

you all know how much bullshit that little rant up the top is don't you? we posted mainly in one thread that was about SA anyway, all we posted was random images (there WERE one or two disgusting ones, granted, but they were by far the minority, and were deleted by us as soon as we realised someone was posting them... Twilightseer here can tell you that, he / she is reading our board) we then posted random images in a few more threads, and all of a sudden we're spreading "hateful propaganda" and "mass flooding"?! grow the fuck up. if you WANT to see hateful propaganda and mass flooding just tell us, otherwise stop making out that we burnt down your houses and we raped all your children, when in reality all we did was make a prank call or two (blah blah blah i don't care how crap my analogies are).

thats all.
Old 24th January 2001, 14:38   #17
whoredog2

Quote:
Originally posted by monkeu
Quote:

that's weird.
ZIING!
is that extra I for extra zing perchance?
Old 24th January 2001, 14:44   #18
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

whoredog 1 or 2; I don't give a fuck.
My mistake. Now, you're banned for good

Monkeu,
Same thing for you if you don't go back to your home sweet home.
Old 24th January 2001, 14:52   #19
monkeu

Quote:
whoredog 1 or 2; I don't give a fuck.
My mistake. Now, you're banned for good

Monkeu,
Same thing for you if you don't go back to your home sweet home.
uh-huh, so in other words you know that i'm right, and you choose to threaten me with your power rather than admit defeat? if i AM right with this theory, your response to this message will be to simply ignore what i'm saying once again and ban me...

so go on, prove me wrong.
Old 24th January 2001, 14:57   #20
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

I don't have anything to prove. You guys proved who you actually were. You've posted repulsive pictures, given false links to lure the Winamp forum people (and then pretended you didn't do it). You wanna play these kind of games ? Fine, do it on your own fucking website. The people who come to these forums don't give a fuck about your stuff. No one here asked for it. And then, you guys start flooding our boards with your shit. This justifies the fact that these threads were deleted/locked and some of you banned.

[Edited by Twilightseer on 01-24-2001 at 11:34 AM]
Old 24th January 2001, 15:32   #21
monkeu

thank you, i'm honestly both surprised and impressed.
Old 24th January 2001, 16:05   #22
monkeu

oh and like i said, i didn't exactly deny doing anything bad. i said we DID post one or two pics that were disgusting, but we honestly did get rid of them as soon as we saw someone had posted them, and we never brought up the subject of links, so i don't know how you can claim i denied it. i was just trying to point out how grossly exaggerated that little rant was... i mean COME ON - "mass flooding" of "hateful propaganda"?! get off your fucking high horse and wake up to reality.
Old 24th January 2001, 16:13   #23
rm'
Banned

Bullshit. What were those 60 or so posts of crap in ONE thread that I had to clean up last night? And those countless other threads I had to sanitize from your shit? Please, we're not as stupid as you think.

There is obviously method to your madness, and we are going to put a stop to it. Face it; you are not wanted. Crawl back into your hole.
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2001, 16:20   #24
SwiftKick

Can't we all just get along? How about a little mansteak to patch things up between us?

SwiftKick
Old 24th January 2001, 16:31   #25
monkeu

Quote:
Originally posted by Radioactive Man
Bullshit. What were those 60 or so posts of crap in ONE thread that I had to clean up last night? And those countless other threads I had to sanitize from your shit? Please, we're not as stupid as you think.

There is obviously method to your madness, and we are going to put a stop to it. Face it; you are not wanted. Crawl back into your hole.
a certain admin can't read:

Quote:
you all know how much bullshit that little rant up the top is don't you? we posted mainly in one thread that was about SA anyway, all we posted was random images (there WERE one or two disgusting ones, granted, but they were by far the minority, and were deleted by us as soon as we realised someone was posting them... Twilightseer here can tell you that, he / she is reading our board) we then posted random images in a few more threads, and all of a sudden we're spreading "hateful propaganda" and "mass flooding"?! grow the fuck up. if you WANT to see hateful propaganda and mass flooding just tell us, otherwise stop making out that we burnt down your houses and we raped all your children, when in reality all we did was make a prank call or two (blah blah blah i don't care how crap my analogies are).
i already said that we HAD posted a lot of random images in that one thread, and some in other threads too, smart man...

and as for "Please, we're not as stupid as you think."... ROOFLE, looks like you just proved yourself wrong.
Old 24th January 2001, 16:34   #26
rm'
Banned

Quote:

Ha ha ha! I'm not going to even bother...
Old 24th January 2001, 16:38   #27
monkeu

Quote:
Quote:

Ha ha ha! I'm not going to even bother...
sorry, a certain moderator can't read.

why am i not surprised that you decided to use a simple and irrelevant error as an exuse to not answer any of my points?

you could have just posted "yes i am stupid and you proved me wrong monkeu" instead you know... but i guess you really ARE as stupid as i think.
Old 24th January 2001, 16:58   #28
rm'
Banned

Quote:
You wanna play these kind of games ? Fine, do it on your own fucking website.
That's it, really. See, the thing is, the vast majority of forum users see your 'work' as pure, utter, useless bullshit. Maybe you don't see it as spam, but we do. Obviously, unwanted crap to waste user bandwidth in retaliation of a few remarks to regard of your site is, "hateful". It appears that we have a hypocrite here, folks. The SA blokes are berating us for infringing on their "freedom of speech", yet when a few of our members express dislike for the works of SA, they mount a coordinated attack on the general forum using populace.

As for my admin comment, that was perfectly relevant. You made a personal attack on me, therefore, I felt the need to respond in like kind. Just incase you ever decide to pursue a Ph.D, let me tell you that personal attacks are flaws in logic, and are considered nonvalid to an argument.
Old 24th January 2001, 17:06   #29
SwiftKick

Quote:
...they mount a coordinated attack on the general forum using populace.
This is far from a coordinated effort. If you want to experience the full-fledged, visually-assraping horror that is an SA forum invasion, just ask.

SwiftKick
Old 24th January 2001, 17:11   #30
rm'
Banned

Not coordinated? What was all that talk in your own forums then? I don't doubt your skill and potential to do evil, or "humour", as you call it, but what you did is surely enough to get anyone to beg you to stop.

And I didn't say invasion, I said attack.
Old 24th January 2001, 17:30   #31
monkeu

okay first up:
Quote:
1. Crawl back into your hole.

2. It appears that we have a hypocrite here, folks.

3. As for my admin comment, that was perfectly relevant. You made a personal attack on me, therefore, I felt the need to respond in like kind. Just incase you ever decide to pursue a Ph.D, let me tell you that personal attacks are flaws in logic, and are considered nonvalid to an argument.
NEWFLASH: hypocrite calls someone else a hypocrite! much laughter ensues!

Quote:
Quote:
You wanna play these kind of games ? Fine, do it on your own fucking website.
That's it, really. See, the thing is, the vast majority of forum users see your 'work' as pure, utter, useless bullshit. Maybe you don't see it as spam, but we do. Obviously, unwanted crap to waste user bandwidth in retaliation of a few remarks to regard of your site is, "hateful". It appears that we have a hypocrite here, folks. The SA blokes are berating us for infringing on their "freedom of speech", yet when a few of our members express dislike for the works of SA, they mount a coordinated attack on the general forum using populace.

As for my admin comment, that was perfectly relevant. You made a personal attack on me, therefore, I felt the need to respond in like kind. Just incase you ever decide to pursue a Ph.D, let me tell you that personal attacks are flaws in logic, and are considered nonvalid to an argument.
surprisingly enough (ROOFLE), you seem to have missed the entire point. i admit that we did post a lot of random pics, and that we were purely here to confuse rather than contribute - though i thought i'd made that pretty clear 5 or 6 times in this thread already. my problem is NOT with you accusing us of coming here to stir up some trouble, its with mr ElChevelle completely exaggerating everything we did. we were being hateful? thats fucking absurd. this has been one of the nicest "attacks" on a forum for quite some time. we didn't come here because anyone said anything bad about SA, we came here because we were mentioned, and we thought we'd have some fun. it was all very light-hearted, the GREAT majority was kept in the thread that was about us, and all but one or two of the pics were G-rated. despite this you and mr ElChevelle claim that we were "hateful"? we were infringing on someone elses freedom of speech - by posting some innocent random pictures? we were "mass flooding" "hateful propaganda"?! FFS, like i've said a few times now - wake up to reality. they're some of the biggest and most bullshit exaggerations i've seen in a while... i mean fuck, i'd hate to see what you guys would be claiming if we really DID attack your forums.

so in conclusion: you're a hypocrite, you seem to have problems understanding both basic english and simple concepts, and ElChevelle and yourself are so full of shit that it isn't funny.
Old 24th January 2001, 18:22   #32
MamiyaOtaru
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to MamiyaOtaru Send a message via AIM to MamiyaOtaru Send a message via Yahoo to MamiyaOtaru
You know, even if you find that stuff everyday and normal, I think it's some utter shit and don't care to see it. There was a lot of it in one thread, but there were other threads. Unnecessary. Mass flooding? If not mass, it was at least flooding, you have to know that already is enough to piss people off. Shitty pics, and links to shitty pics disguised as winamp visualizations, it's not the end of the world, but people don't wanna see it. Deal with it.
"nice attack?" sounds like "student athlete"- an oxymoron. Anyway, if ya'll are really as fun loving and not evil as you claim and it was all a joke then there shouldn't be a problem for the joke to end, end everyone to calm down

@ the joke: haha- now let's get over it
MamiyaOtaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2001, 18:41   #33
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
IMHO, it's not even the content that bothers me. I don't care if it's a picture of your cat, flooding is flooding. I agree with MamiyaOtaru in that it can't be considered as "Mass Flooding", but it's still a pain in the ass. These forums are here for a reason, to host discussions that are in some way related to Winamp. And as for it being a 'nice attack' - if you were actually any good at what you do, then you'd probably consider flooding the forums as childish. I can pretty much guarantee that there are people out there reading this that can genuinely hack, and if they wished cause a huge amount of problems for all of us here at Winamp. They don't flood the forums with pictures to get their kicks - it isn't worth their while. What you all did was rediculous, it was easily remedied, and all it did was piss off every moderator and administrator here, that had to clean up that shit.

What I can't understand though, is that even then you were given a chance, according to ElChevelle you were temporarily barred from the server. Yet you all still pushed and pushed, pissing more and more people off when instead you should have said 'point taken - it won't happen again'. If it was just a 'nice attack' that was misinterpreted then you should have no problems in backing down.

[Edited by ethan_h on 01-24-2001 at 02:57 PM]

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2001, 18:54   #34
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:

that's weird.
I called Chinese people Morons? You need schoolin' if you misinterpreted that.
Old 24th January 2001, 19:02   #35
rm'
Banned

This was definetly mass flooding. During the time that I was busy deleting posts, every post from the middle of the first page of the General Discussions forum to the top post was made by one, of your posse. And every thread already mentioned had a picture that was at least 500 pixels tall. True, not all of them were obscene, but that is not the point. You, willfully, continued behaviour which you knew was forbidden and "wrong". That, my friend, is called flooding. Now if I call an act of flooding, flooding, could you kindly explain how that is an exaggeration?
Old 24th January 2001, 19:11   #36
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

Send a message via AIM to fish
I agree. this is ridiculous. flooding the forums makes for less entertaining reading and fills the database with more crap then there already is

eh, heh.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2001, 19:12   #37
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

In any case, I have but one question:
What did the people of the Winamp forums do to bring on such a childish flooding in the first place?
Was it that no one was impressed with the link to the SA page that was posted here a couple days ago? If so, that is a pathetic excuse in itself.

I suppose we are in for more banning exercizes once school has been dismissed for the day today, unless they are just late risers after pounding 40 Oz. malt liquor after a hard day of dropout job searching.
Old 24th January 2001, 19:13   #38
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

I think it was just to jack up their post count...

eh, heh.
Old 24th January 2001, 19:27   #39
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

I wasn't here last night...

can somebody give a rough description of the pics?

eh, heh.
Old 24th January 2001, 19:31   #40
rm'
Banned

http://www.geocities.com/sa_pics/
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions