Old 12th May 2007, 16:40   #1
xorion73x
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4
Winamp Pro... with Ads?

I don't remember this happening before, but I am unable to uninstall Dashboard or Now Playing without hunting down the dll and forcibly removing it.

Even still, there are advertisements on the Online Services page.. I have been able to remove everything down to just the couple Shoutcast things I want, but the Ads are still there.

I payed for a Pro version, I dont want Ads.


WinampPro 5.34, reg key entered.
Windows Vista Business
xorion73x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 16:53   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 9,907
i hate it aswell, but its part of the core plugins.

in reality the winamp pro price only pays for licencing fees for mp3 encoding and burning ripping support. aol gets the tab for all the other licencing costs in which are paid for with the ads that you see.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 16:54   #3
xorion73x
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4
Right... was this moved out of Technical because it's working as intended?

Seriously.. tell me that a paid for Pro version doesn't include advertisements..
xorion73x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 16:58   #4
xorion73x
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally posted by Rocker
i hate it aswell, but its part of the core plugins.

in reality the winamp pro price only pays for licencing fees for mp3 encoding and burning ripping support. aol gets the tab for all the other licencing costs in which are paid for with the ads that you see.


Righto... was a good run, I'm going to miss Winamp.. Back when AOL shoved their grubby paws into it I had decided to try to be optimistic... I should have known better.




though.. is there a version out that has what I payed for, and not all the other crap?
xorion73x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 17:19   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,823
We all hate the ads. Nothing new there.

You paid for Ripping & Burning at full speed, and MP3 & High-Bitrate AACPlus Encoding. That is all the cost of the Pro license covers. Nowhere does it say that Pro covers anything else, or removes any serverside ads.

You can remove Dashboard (ml_dash.dll) and Now Playing (ml_nowplaying.dll) via:
Winamp > Prefs > Plugins > Media Library > (highlight plugin) > Uninstall.

Make sure the Media Library window is closed first.

For SC Radio & TV, see here (read full thread first).

And if it's any consolation, I agree with you wholeheartedly, there should be no ads if you've purchased Pro. But alas, there is.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 21:48   #6
sylance
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9
Well shoot... I thought I might move off of iTunes and over to Winamp... and then upgrade to Pro to get rid of all the ads. I guess not. Why would I want a player that has ads all over the place?

I worked really hard to sort out my iPod, ratings and playcounts but this is something I can't live with. I guess it's goodbye to Winamp.
sylance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 22:32   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,823
Yes, but where does it say that there'll be no serverside ads with the free Online Services when you purchase a Winamp Pro license?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 01:21   #8
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 6,122
Quote:
Originally posted by sylance
I guess it's goodbye to Winamp.
Oh, please don't go. I miss you already.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 18:47   #9
PsycoGeek
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 17
Yes... it's bye bye to winamp for me as well. If they think they have the market so well corned on media players that they can start shoving ads in my face, they had better guess again.

I have been looking into MediaMonkey, VLC, and Songbird. Also looking at Ubuntu for an OS, and it's multimedia offerings.
PsycoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 19:23   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,823
I don't understand....

There's no ads when using Winamp to just play your music collection, or when using the Local Media Library.

How does this differ to VLC and MediaMonkey?

Do they even have any online services of their own?
I know VLC doesn't, and MediaMonkey and Songbird just have links to other sites (shoutcast.com etc).

It's the actual stream providers (for the Winamp Videos and AOL Videos) who insist that there's adverts, otherwise they would need to charge for us to be able to view the content instead of it being free. And as it works on a per video basis, then it would not be feasible to add a fixed amount to the cost of Pro to remove the ads - especially for users who aren't interested in ever using any of the Online Services.

Why not just remove the online services dll (and any other ml plugins which serve any ads, ie. ml_nowplaying and ml_dash, as referenced above), or just edit ml_online.ini to taste and put your own links in there instead? This way there'll be no difference between Winamp and anything that MediaMonkey or Songbird have to offer...

And of course I'm also assuming here that you've got no idea how to block ads (since all of Winamp's Online Services pages are just embedded Internet Explorer windows), or even how to click/follow links in previous replies ;-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 19:48   #11
PsycoGeek
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
I don't understand....

There's no ads when using Winamp to just play your music collection, or when using the Local Media Library.

How does this differ to VLC and MediaMonkey?
I don't just use Winamp for my local media. I had been using it to listen to net radio, and watch video streams. Songbird handles the net radio streams just fine for the stations I listen to, and VLC/MediaMonkey have no adds.

If I pay money for a program, I expect to see NO advertisements... Not some, or just a little one.... NONE.
PsycoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 22:25   #12
alex_gamer
Senior Member
 
alex_gamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: the crossroads of life...
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally posted by PsycoGeek
If I pay money for a program, I expect to see NO advertisements... Not some, or just a little one.... NONE.
buying Pro only entitles you to faster ripping and burning, and mp3 encoding (and something else, but i can't recall it atm). buying Pro does NOT remove the ads in the online services. do what DJ Egg said to remove the ads!

the computer is never at fault for an error; a human is, though.
DO NOT PM me for tech support.
No matter what you're doing, use the right tool for the job!
alex_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 23:15   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,823
Hmm, I don't see any ads when listening to radio streams in Winamp...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 23:49   #14
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

 
Nunzio390's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Tharsis Ridge (Martian lowlands)
Posts: 8,588
Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Hmm, I don't see any ads when listening to radio streams in Winamp...
Neither do I, Egg. Methinks PsycoGeek is seeing things that are not there. I most certainly do not see any ads at all when streaming radio broadcasts in Winamp.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 16:28   #15
PsycoGeek
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
Neither do I, Egg. Methinks PsycoGeek is seeing things that are not there. I most certainly do not see any ads at all when streaming radio broadcasts in Winamp.
Try selecting Shoutcast TV under online services...
PsycoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 17:18   #16
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,823
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
And of course I'm also assuming here that you've got no idea how to block ads (since all of Winamp's Online Services pages are just embedded Internet Explorer windows), or even how to click/follow links in previous replies ;-)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 19:55   #17
devils night
Senior Member
 
devils night's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: your mama
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally posted by PsycoGeek
Try selecting Shoutcast TV under online services...
Dude seriously what is your problem it a little ad banner I see it too i don't see how an add like this can bug anyone its not like an ad popup's on your screen in the middle of somthing when running winamp. heck the ad doesn't even slow my computer down. Listen guys If he want to stop using winamp let him we don't need anymore anal losers like this complaining about small thing like this anyway. if the ads seem to affect your computer then get a better computer. like they say if you can afford the internet you can afford to get a new one or upgrade one. unless your one of these people who leeches off there parent's

Proud Winamp user since 1997
(Winamp 1.006)
devils night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 20:36   #18
PsycoGeek
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by devils night
Dude seriously what is your problem it a little ad banner I see it too i don't see how an add like this can bug anyone its not like an ad popup's on your screen in the middle of somthing when running winamp. heck the ad doesn't even slow my computer down. Listen guys If he want to stop using winamp let him we don't need anymore anal losers like this complaining about small thing like this anyway. if the ads seem to affect your computer then get a better computer. like they say if you can afford the internet you can afford to get a new one or upgrade one. unless your one of these people who leeches off there parent's
It has nothing to do with me being a parent leach, or an anal looser, or not being able to afford a new PC... it's the principal of the thing. My PC isn't slowed down by it at all. I have a Core Duo (Yonah) 2ghz overclocked to 2.83ghz with 2g's of RAM and a cable modem...

It's the same reason I stopped buying computer games (like battlefield 2142... won't touch it, and won't buy the expansions packs for bf 2 either). They started putting adds in BF2142. If I pay for something to play with, or to use on my PC period, I don't want to see adds in it. It's bad enough I have to watch them on my Dish.

How would you feel if Firefox started adding a banner add in the title bar? Or if every time you opened up MS Office or Open Office there was a banner add glaring at you? Or worse yet, every time you go to make a call on your cell phone you have to listen to a 30 second add first?

The point is... the advertising is going too far. Make a stand now, or forever be pummeled with advertisements. Today you TV, PC games, and applications, tomorrow your cell phone, blackberry, Palm PDA, and your Xbox. Mabe even the music you pay for will include a 30 second advertisement in each song.
PsycoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 20:46   #19
PsycoGeek
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
And of course I'm also assuming here that you've got no idea how to block ads (since all of Winamp's Online Services pages are just embedded Internet Explorer windows), or even how to click/follow links in previous replies ;-)
BTW DJ, I can, and your efforts are greatly appreciated. My comments no way reflect on what you have done for the community here.
PsycoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 21:15   #20
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 35,823
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2007, 23:16   #21
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

 
Nunzio390's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Tharsis Ridge (Martian lowlands)
Posts: 8,588
Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Originally posted by PsycoGeek
BTW DJ, I can, and your efforts are greatly appreciated. My comments no way reflect on what you have done for the community here.
Aha! Another appreciative Winamp user that has been EGGED!!!
You are evidently familiar with Egg's invaluable worth and expertise in these forums

As I've often posted/stated before, here is his list of CROWNING achievements...



ROYAL REGMEISTER
ROYAL GOOGLEMEISTER
SpybotSD log SPECIALIST
HijackThis log SPECIALIST
Tech Support GRANDMEISTER
Founding member:
Post Edit GRANDMEISTERS Society

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2007, 15:47   #22
PsycoGeek
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
[B]Aha! Another appreciative Winamp user that has been EGGED!!!
You are evidently familiar with Egg's invaluable worth and expertise in these forums
Just because I'm a Jr. member on the forums doesn't mean I haven't been around the block here, and other forums as well. I just don't tend to post unless I can't find an answer to my problem using the search, or by spending hours upon hours reading...
PsycoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 01:57   #23
devils night
Senior Member
 
devils night's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: your mama
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally posted by PsycoGeek
It has nothing to do with me being a parent leach, or an anal looser, or not being able to afford a new PC... it's the principal of the thing. My PC isn't slowed down by it at all. I have a Core Duo (Yonah) 2ghz overclocked to 2.83ghz with 2g's of RAM and a cable modem...

It's the same reason I stopped buying computer games (like battlefield 2142... won't touch it, and won't buy the expansions packs for bf 2 either). They started putting adds in BF2142. If I pay for something to play with, or to use on my PC period, I don't want to see adds in it. It's bad enough I have to watch them on my Dish.

How would you feel if Firefox started adding a banner add in the title bar? Or if every time you opened up MS Office or Open Office there was a banner add glaring at you? Or worse yet, every time you go to make a call on your cell phone you have to listen to a 30 second add first?

The point is... the advertising is going too far. Make a stand now, or forever be pummeled with advertisements. Today you TV, PC games, and applications, tomorrow your cell phone, blackberry, Palm PDA, and your Xbox. Mabe even the music you pay for will include a 30 second advertisement in each song.

Well Welcome to the internet dude it just the way everything is. If any or all my programs just have benner ads in them that don't take up big resourses on my PC like winamp does then yes i can Live with it. If it is popup ads or some kind of spyware then no I would appreciate it. The Main thing is your talking about small ads that only start when you are in a certian section of tWinamp its not like they anchor the banner ads on the top or bottom of the main winamp window for this reason i do not think the ads on winamp have gone too far and they do not bother me and i will be sticking with winamp for years to come

Proud Winamp user since 1997
(Winamp 1.006)
devils night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 06:48   #24
graveller39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1
didn't work

I tried what DJEgg suggested - it didn't work. any other ideas?
graveller39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump