Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 22nd April 2014, 17:10   #1
Tordenflesk

MP3 crash on metadata lookup on XP64 SP2

Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX (Uni Xonar drivers)
Winamp 5.666 latest build with the recommended downgraded in_mp3.dll
Koopa's Winamp Info Tool unfortunately doesn't recognize my install, so you're not getting that.

This issue has been existing for many years for me. Winamp would randomly crash whenever i skip to an MP3, I have always assumed I had a corrupt MP3 somewhere in my collection and that my slow upgrade to flacs would take care of that. Not with the 5.666 and my laymans reading of the logs show it's a gamble whether the MP3 will play or Winamp crashes
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (57.9 KB, 280 views)
Tordenflesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 17:47   #2
ujay
Forum King

Hi Toren,

Have you considered updating your OS to SP3, perhaps it will help.

You can find the redistrib. file here :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ion.aspx?id=24

Support for XP has officially ended, so don't know if this still works, or is worth doing.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 18:03   #3
DrO

i believe SP2 is the current one for XP64 (was on a different update system compared to plain old XP 32-bit).

as for the crash issue, will try to see if i can glean anything from the crash report.

[edit]
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/keepin...rvice-pack.htm seems to back that up as well from what i can find on the MS sites.

[edit2]
i've had a look and it's possibly happening F:\Music\Sander594360n Doorn\Sandler\2005 - Sandler-Chemistry_EP-Promo_Vinyl-2004-POW\03-sandler-chemistry ep solid mix-promo vinyl-pow.mp3 (i expect i've not got the 'Sander594360n' part correct). so might be helpful to have a copy of the file (if it's consistently causing issues for you).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 02:50   #4
Tordenflesk

Yup, My OS is currently XP x64 SP2 which is basically a workstation version of Server 2003, hence the different service-pack.

This issue was also present in older versions of Winamp and on XP SP3 when I used that. Also, as I mentioned with 5.666 each and every crash.log contains a different .MP3. When I've tried to play the files individually afterwards they play just fine.
Old 23rd April 2014, 03:57   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordenflesk View Post
Also, as I mentioned with 5.666 each and every crash.log contains a different .MP3. When I've tried to play the files individually afterwards they play just fine.
Mp3s with structural errors will often play ok. Have you checked the integrity of these files? Apps like "MP3val" and "MP3 Diags" (links below) are good at detecting and fixing these kind of errors.

http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/

http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 04:03   #6
Tordenflesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Mp3s with structural errors will often play ok. Have you checked the integrity of these files? Apps like "MP3val" and "MP3 Diags" (links below) are good at detecting and fixing these kind of errors.

http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/

http://mp3diags.sourceforge.net/
I've already done a pass of my collection with mp3Val, will do one with mp3Diags
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:47   #7
Tordenflesk

Quote:
I've already done a pass of my collection with mp3Val, will do one with mp3Diags
Done a pass with mp3Diags, not sure if it did much(poor UI), but here's a crashlog post-fixin'
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (49.7 KB, 262 views)
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:02   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
1. does koopa know his tool doesn't work with your setup? did u report that to him?
2. I don't follow what you mean when you say "skip to an mp3" ...do you mean to say that just playing a mp3 at any time can cause your winamp to crash?
3. do you have any extra plugins at all? have you tried the "clean install" instructions?
4. what skin are you using?
5. have you tried simpler folder/filenames? there is a char limit.
6. did u try simplifying the filename DrO cited?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:15   #9
DrO

the crash is at least consistent in happening at the same location (as this one seems to be from a different file - which is not a path related issue to cover the point raised in the post above as both dumps are well within the MAX_PATH limit). so i think it's really time to have an example file to work with.

there is one 3rd party plug-in present that i can see (out_asio) and a number of weird ones hooked in from other programs:
C:\bbzero_beta\plugins\bbLeanSkin\bbLeanSkinEng32.dll
D:\Programs(x86)\Moo0\WindowMenuPlus 1.20\WindowMenuPlusDll.dll
D:\Programs(x86)\Ray Adams\ATI Tray Tools\raphook.dll
D:\Programs\Allsnap\snap_lib.dll
D:\Programs\Sizer\sizerhook32.dll

otherwise it's a stripped down simple classic skin based Winamp install from what i can tell (based on the loaded modules from the dump).
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:53   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

I would also try running winamp in safe mode with bento skin and see if it still happens.

--
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:59   #11
DrO

you can't run it in bento skin if it's not present / installed.
Old 23rd April 2014, 15:17   #12
MrSinatra
Forum King

well, if necessary he should install it for testing then. but I'd start with safe mode, and I bet it will come down to one of the things you cited, (ASIO, weird apps, etc) unless these are really weird mp3s somehow.

--
Old 23rd April 2014, 15:30   #13
DrO

it's not going to help when it's a crash in an input plug-in. if anything not having a modern skin loaded makes it easier to debug issues as there's generally less to work through on the code stack. so there is no point to re-install things which are going to hinder rather than help in this scenario (so running a small classic skin setup is actually preferred from my view point of trying to debug such an issue).

and yes running in safe mode will be of use (to rule out the out_asio aspect) and i only listed the non-Winamp parts as i'm only aware of one of them (Allsnap which i personally use).

but unless those other ones are doing something really bad, it's unlikely they are related and is most likely something with how in_mp3 is handling the files. which might be down to the OS being used and hence why it's more beneficial to have an example file when it's giving a consistent crash in the same part of in_mp3 across different files as what i'm seeing in the crash report s just not right (and ironically it might be something with the POPM field handling which you're going to probably badger on about now i've mentioned it).
Old 23rd April 2014, 15:50   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

POPM? POPM???!?!!? TELL ME! TELL ME! TELL ME!!!!

j/k

that is interesting tho. I didn't realize that modern skins made things more difficult. I always try to do bug testing in as much of a "default state" as possible, meaning using bento and either safe mode or very few plugins, etc. but even tho his skin is classic, if not a default skin, couldn't it be buggy?

what is Allsnap? and re: POPM, maybe he is using it out of spec somehow, too long a text string or letters where numbers should be or something like that? I know on some files I had, the last set of numbers, meant to be playcounts, were like insane, 373774394853, stuff like that, but they seemed to be ignored.

--
Old 23rd April 2014, 20:54   #15
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Koopa's Winamp Info Tool unfortunately doesn't recognize my install, so you're not getting that.
There is currently nothing I can do about, I'm not able to set up a XP/2003 x64 Maschine, sorry.

I've tested the tool under 2000/2000 Server/XP/2003 Server all 32 Bit and the tool is working fine.

From the Windows and x64 checks it makes no sense, that it fails, but I must check it in a VM to see what is going wrong.

[Edit] Though, i have an idea. Tordenflesk, can you give me the full Winamp uninstall registry entry?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2k3.png
Views:	300
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	51117  
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 22:11   #16
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I made a VM and found the reason, why the Winamp detection failed, though, XP x64 produces a lot of other issues, detection of a lot of path functions etc fail and I'm really not sure if it's worth to fix/work around them.

Even really save and simple code fails, I guess there are some conflicts with NSIS and XP x64.

So I'm really sad, but all I can say is, that XP/2003 x64 isn't and won't be supported by the Info Tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xpx64.png
Views:	295
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	51118  
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014, 06:36   #17
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
...detection of a lot of path functions etc fail and I'm really not sure if it's worth to fix/work around them.

That's obscenely odd, I've never seen an issue with any of my NSIS plugin installers detecting the Winamp install directory on that system.

See if the attached plugin will install. If it does, try letting it create a report and then attach it here. To run a report, open preferences, go to the Plugins->General Purpose section, double click the plugin in the list and select [Yes]. On a new Winamp instance it can take anywhere from a 30 seconds to 3 minutes to generate a report, depending on your system speed. When it finishes the report, it should open a new window with the report archive selected.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BogProgThinktink1_0_2_6Install.zip (145.3 KB, 487 views)
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 19:30   #18
Tordenflesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
That's obscenely odd, I've never seen an issue with any of my NSIS plugin installers detecting the Winamp install directory on that system.

See if the attached plugin will install. If it does, try letting it create a report and then attach it here. To run a report, open preferences, go to the Plugins->General Purpose section, double click the plugin in the list and select [Yes]. On a new Winamp instance it can take anywhere from a 30 seconds to 3 minutes to generate a report, depending on your system speed. When it finishes the report, it should open a new window with the report archive selected.
Unfortunately, that crashes Winamp almost immediately.

DrO:

"C:\bbzero_beta\plugins\bbLeanSkin\bbLeanSkinEng32.dll"
This is the Window-manager part of my current shell. Winamp.exe has been excluded.
"D:\Programs(x86)\Moo0\WindowMenuPlus 1.20\WindowMenuPlusDll.dll"
Edits the menu when right-clicking window-captions
"D:\Programs(x86)\Ray Adams\ATI Tray Tools\raphook.dll"
I think, this may be the hot-key hook for ATI Tray Tools
"D:\Programs\Allsnap\snap_lib.dll"
This you knew.
"D:\Programs\Sizer\sizerhook32.dll"
Adds an item to resize windows exactly in the window caption right-click menu.

Running Winamp in safe-mode ATM, and I will report back next time it crashes.
Old 27th April 2014, 19:43   #19
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Unfortunately, that crashes Winamp almost immediately.
Does it crash when you try to open Winamp with just the plugin installed or when you try to generate a report?

The only time I've seen that plugin crash Winamp was with an earlier version of DrO's Unicode Taskbar Fixer plugin.

If you don't have the older Unicode Taskbar Fixer plugin installed, it might be time to do a full clean reinstall.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=161361#full
Old 27th April 2014, 19:47   #20
Tordenflesk

Removed all third-party plugins, here's the report:
EDIT: and a bonus Winamp Crash-log not long after.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BPInfoToolLog.zip (13.5 KB, 270 views)
File Type: zip report.zip (61.8 KB, 271 views)
Old 27th April 2014, 20:26   #21
DrO

it's crashing in the same area as the prior ones so something is consistent, but i'm struggling to pin-point what is causing it.
Old 27th April 2014, 20:31   #22
thinktink
Forum King

Have you tried to play any other file types? MP3 is pretty common so try playing an AAC file.
Old 27th April 2014, 20:43   #23
DrO

AAC isn't a good one since it's going to skip the ID3 handling (which is where the crash appears to be happening). i really need an example file (one the ones from the crash reports) to try to replicate it locally as there has to be something about the files which is causing such an issue (either directly or indirectly).
Old 27th April 2014, 21:57   #24
thinktink
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
AAC isn't a good one since it's going to skip the ID3 handling (which is where the crash appears to be happening). i really need an example file (one the ones from the crash reports) to try to replicate it locally as there has to be something about the files which is causing such an issue (either directly or indirectly).
Oh, I thought AAC was ID3 tags.

[EDIT/]
Nevermind, I assumed AAC was ID3 'cause it was handled by in_mp3.dll. Oops.
Old 27th April 2014, 22:04   #25
DrO

it's not meant to (though i wouldn't be surprised if there are raw AAC files with ID3 tags slapped on them), and you're probably thinking of AAC in an MP4 container (which would be a different tag type).
Old 28th April 2014, 12:27   #26
Tordenflesk

Ok, here's another report.
Mind giving me a list of the files reported so far, and I'll zip them up for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip report.zip (50.7 KB, 270 views)
Old 28th April 2014, 13:34   #27
DrO

i only need one, so either of the two i've already mentioned should be fine.
Old 28th April 2014, 13:55   #28
Tordenflesk

I can only see you mentioning one .mp3, so that's all you get
https://www.dropbox.com/s/li584n288e...0vinyl-pow.mp3
Old 6th May 2014, 16:18   #29
Tordenflesk

*Bump*
Old 6th May 2014, 16:30   #30
DrO

i'm still looking into things as i've not been able to replicate a crash (but am a bit behind on further investigation work needed).
Old 6th May 2014, 18:16   #31
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Winamp would randomly crash whenever i skip to an MP3
can u give exact steps to reproduce and how often in your estimate a crash should occur?

I have DL'd the file and have not been able to get a crash yet, so I want to try to replicate your actions as exactly as possible.

--
Old 7th May 2014, 17:08   #32
Tordenflesk

I have my entire collection(28070 FLAC, 11484 MP3, 129 aac/m4a/ogg/wma) in a playlist. Occasionally when I skip to an MP3 Winamp crashes. I have tried provoking it by playing only MP3's and mashing the 'next' button on my keyboard. Nothing seems to happen then.

This doesn't really seem to be specific to the latest Winamp release or my OS. This has has occurred for the last 2-ish years and has only gotten worse when upgrading Winamp.
Old 7th May 2014, 17:25   #33
MrSinatra
Forum King

by "skip" do you mean press the arrow button pointing right in the player controls?

do you do this while a file other than a mp3 is currently playing? does it ever crash if the currently playing file IS already a mp3?

how often does it crash? 10% 50% 90%?

does it happen in safe mode?

does it happen when NOT using ASIO, meaning using the directsound output instead?

--
Old 7th May 2014, 17:33   #34
Tordenflesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
by "skip" do you mean press the arrow button pointing right in the player controls?
Yup, as in 'skip to the next song'
Quote:
do you do this while a file other than a mp3 is playing?
Difficult to know for certain. I don't have a photographic memory of every file, and I can't see what has played after a crash, can I?
Quote:
how often does it crash? 10% 50% 90%?
I'd say maybe a 5% chance at a crash.
Quote:
does it happen in safe mode?
Yup
Quote:
does it happen when NOT using ASIO, meaning using the directsound output instead?
I don't use ASIO, only DirectSound. The ASIO plugins were only an experiment
Old 7th May 2014, 18:21   #35
MrSinatra
Forum King

if you check the "history" listing, it may be in there.

--
Old 7th May 2014, 19:20   #36
Tordenflesk

Quote:
if you check the "history" listing, it may be in there.
<-Winamp user for 14+ years and I'm not sure where that is.
Old 7th May 2014, 19:23   #37
MrSinatra
Forum King

in bento, its part of the "nav tree" on the left where "audio" and other smartviews are for the ML, cd drives, online services, devices, now playing, etc. not sure about other skins.

--
Old 7th May 2014, 19:25   #38
Tordenflesk

Ok, I haven't installed most of the Media Library components(I only ever use the Bookmarks). I'll look into that
Old 7th May 2014, 20:06   #39
DrO

i was going to suggest seeing if you can track Winamp's memory usage in the task manager (as i'm really not keen on seeing you install additional things as that potentially complicates matters). as i found one possible memory leak and based on what has been described previously, it's the only possible thing i can relate between your issue and what i've been able to find.
Old 9th May 2014, 15:03   #40
Tordenflesk

Seems to stay around 16-21 MB during regular use.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports