Old 6th October 2002, 14:38   #321
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Quote:
Originally posted by Drex
Note: The song ticker is always activated in 'stick' mode, regardless of the choice in the configuration menu.
Yes, that was an oversight, thanks. There's also another little bug that you might notice, you can't drag the song ticker until after you use the seek bar in stick mode. It's been fixed and will be in the next update.
rpeterclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2002, 16:49   #322
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

I love the stick mode!
One question though..
Could you remove the transparent areas to the left and top of the stick mode?
So it will stick to the absolute top of the screen and not a couple of pixels down..

-Plague
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2002, 18:16   #323
Roberto Cuellar

i agree with sanosuke it's kind of boring be switching through every mode to get to the one you want, i think there should be a way to select the one you want, maybe in the menu or when you clikc in the button that change modes a menu can come out telling you your choices(like the menu in corneramp that shows what corner you want the skin to go to). I know you'll come out with a better idea.
Roberto Cuellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2002, 18:17   #324
Drex

Send a message via AIM to Drex
I like the idea of making the typical winshade / whatever button into a dropdown menu to choose your mode. That'd be neat.
Drex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2002, 18:32   #325
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto Cuellar
i agree with sanosuke it's kind of boring be switching through every mode to get to the one you want, i think there should be a way to select the one you want, maybe in the menu or when you clikc in the button that change modes a menu can come out telling you your choices(like the menu in corneramp that shows what corner you want the skin to go to). I know you'll come out with a better idea.
oooh, I think your idea is great!
Old 6th October 2002, 19:22   #326
SNYder
Forum King

how bout if you right click on the "mode switch button" it gives you a menu where you can choose which mode to switch to. Just like how in the Default skin, if you right click on the Winamp logo (thinger button) it gives you a menu for various windows and junk.

Quote:
Originally posted by rpeterclark
I have to say thanks though SNYder, you have made a lot of good suggestions throughout the development of this skin. I appreciate your eye for details.
thanks I just imagine that it was my skin, then suggest whatever it is I would do to it. Unfortunatly, I don't have the skinning skills you do, so all I can do for now is imagine.
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2002, 20:13   #327
JamesGT

Great work
Little question:
Is it possible to make a sliding playlist?
Like a mouseover or a button that open the playlist very easily?
And could you make one
Thanks and continue your great work
JamesGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2002, 20:14   #328
iPlayTheSpoons
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to iPlayTheSpoons
im loving it more everyday

bug : the "disable song ticker" option doesnt apply itself to stick mode
iPlayTheSpoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2002, 20:21   #329
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesGT
Great work
Little question:
Is it possible to make a sliding playlist?
Like a mouseover or a button that open the playlist very easily?
And could you make one
Thanks and continue your great work
As far as I know, sliding playlists are not possible. The reason bieng that some components (including the playlist) refuse to be placed underneath anything else.
Old 6th October 2002, 20:25   #330
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Quote:
Originally posted by iPlayTheSpoons
im loving it more everyday

bug : the "disable song ticker" option doesnt apply itself to stick mode
Yeah, I didn't catch that until after the last release. Drex mentioned it just a few posts ago. It has been fixed and will be in the next update.

A couple other notes,
I've implemented the drop-down mode select idea that had been brought up. It really does make switching to the other layouts much more efficient. I've also changed the Configure panel to a tabbed interface to make room for some addition features. I'm probably not going to release another update until I get the components skinned though.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I feel like this is finally getting close to done.
Old 6th October 2002, 20:26   #331
JamesGT

Unhappy

shit...
anyway, I'll continue for my search of useful-oriented skins :P
maybe I'll fin one perfect one day, maybe I'm too difficult... it's only because I try to find a simple meaner to have all the useful buttons without switch modes, opening windows etc.
Old 6th October 2002, 21:05   #332
Drex

Of course, the point of rpeterclark's response is that a playlist drawer is not possible with this build of Winamp. I think you'll find that Mercury will be one of the most ease-of-use-oriented skins you'll find for a long time, as it was essentially built off the input of many, rather than one or two.
Old 6th October 2002, 21:17   #333
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Quote:

As far as I know, sliding playlists are not possible. The reason bieng that some components (including the playlist) refuse to be placed underneath anything else.
actually, all components refuse to be placed underneath anything else..

But that's not the only reason to not have the playlist in a drawer..
here's a list of other reasons:
1. since the playlist have a sidecar, the playlist area would be extremely small and thus not useful at all in a drawer..
2. points to #1, it won't be possible to resize the playlist at all.
3. with the way the playlist is made, it just doesn't look good in a drawer.

etc..

There are more reasons..
But to sum it up, it's really really a bad idea to put the playlist in a drawer, believe me.
Anyone who has tried Illuminamp (my old beta3 skin) knows that..

edit:
Drex: it is POSSIBLE to put the playlist in a drawer, but it's not practical nor useful at all..
It is also POSSIBLE to make it look like it's sliding underneath the other windows, by cutting it off at the windowborder while it slides..
But as I said, NOT a good idea to have it in a drawer

-Plague
Old 6th October 2002, 21:19   #334
JamesGT

yeah I agree it's one of the few (4-5) skin "user-friendly" or "useful-oriented-instead-of-good-looking-only"
I use only the stick mode, it's great, but there's the false speaker on the left, very useless, and the buttons hard to read.
I'll stop talking, I'm maybe not constructive with those bad comments :P sorry
but just look at THIS:

almost perfect skin.
no useless buttons, clean design very easy to read.
but the "batard de playlist" like I said I dont know why, but on the picture you can see a windowsshade buttons on the playlist. but there's no button like this anymore and I've no idea why :P
every time I open it, my playlist isn't there anymore, when I rename the plalist it rename Playlist001 after etc.

someone know why?

Edit
ok for the playlist forget that lol
but there's propably a way to put it without trouble, as the screenshot above
Old 6th October 2002, 21:24   #335
Drex

Ah, I understand about the components. Practicality governs. Gotcha.

It's not a false speaker, it's bevels to look sorta like a grip. Kinda. Anyway, having a little bit of flashiness makes it livable - an entirely utilitarian skin would be so boring and ugly that I wouldn't want to use it at all. There's a happy medium that has to be reached. Besides, the bevels add about a centimeter to look at, and it will obscure maybe 3 letters of text if placed over that section of a titlebar.

Oh, and I can't see your picture because my school blocked the site it's on. *shrugs*
Old 6th October 2002, 21:30   #336
JamesGT

lol sex contents hey?
me too :P
it's my gta3 web site, with nothing sexy on it...
look at the attachement
that's true, skin NEED a good look, I agree 100% with you. But I prefer 80% useful and 20% look as 20% use and 80% look.
glass amp, dispo here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....070#post720070
is a good mix I think, as I said, almost perfect for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamp2.jpg (34.6 KB, 167 views)
Old 6th October 2002, 21:34   #337
Drex

Personally, I find GlassAMP a little too utilitarian for me. Mercury seems to be just about perfect all-around. Maintains a great look that isn't overbearing and doesn't impact the usefulness inherent in the design and the coding.

rpeterclark said he'd make a winshade mode for the playlist, so it'll do essentially what you've got in your screenshot there, except skinned so it's pretty on top of being useful. It might not be a drawer, but I think a winshade would be just as good, if not better, since it's moveable and therefore more customizable to personal tastes.
Old 6th October 2002, 21:46   #338
JamesGT

[QUOTEa great look that isn't overbearing and doesn't impact the usefulness inherent in the design and the coding. QUOTE]
lol I'm just quoting to say this sentence is almost japenese to me
I almost understand it all :P

anyway, again I know that good looking is important. but I'm to "conservateur (in french, I dont know in english)" and I like more thrustable car, fiable car than good looking car, just for to compare. I like clear clean things, so for all: don't take my comments like bad comments, for me, look go after useful, cause look sometimes go less and less... but useful never end ( sentence!)

I can say good comments on design, good comments on useful, but for overall, for a skin I would choose, useful is an important point.

anyway don't care what I'm saying at all other than if you whan comment for useful OR design, but not overall, cause it's hard to be perfect there I know...

too long message, I'll stop!

-JamesGT, searching the perfect ultra useful skin
Old 6th October 2002, 21:50   #339
Drex

A great looking skin that isn't ONLY good looking. One that doesn't make a skin less useful and that doesn't take away from the good design and good coding.

My comment is that you wouldn't want an ugly brown box of a car just because it run well, when you can get a beautiful silver convertible that has the same quality, would you? That's my comparison of utilitarian (useful only) versus Mercury.

Conservateur = conservative person, I think. Unless it's a false cognate.
Old 6th October 2002, 22:03   #340
JamesGT

lol NO :P
but for the same price, I'll prefer a Toyota Echo that will last 7 years to a Sunfire that will last 3 years (I know some people who had one, and even when it's nwe car, that'S completely bullshit )

look at the attachement

the design is comparable to mercury (as great for me) but it's more readable, and no space lost.
glassamp, well the design is not winderfull, but that's the idea that count

I don't like the word utilitarian ... I'm not searching useful only, I'm searching essentially usefull. I'm not as extreme as that :P it could be only useful with a good look, but no useless part... in the sens that you have a completely useful frame, with a great design on it, but not a design, a form, and then you add buttons on it... that's how things are made, like houses...

p.s. thanks for the conservative thing, I need to learn english lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winshade screenie 3.jpg (46.0 KB, 195 views)
Old 6th October 2002, 22:06   #341
Drex

The ease of reading comes with screen resolution and how used you are to the skin. Sorta like how the readability of handwriting depends on how much you see it.

And there's no price on Winamp skins.

And it's no problem; I need to learn French. =D
Old 6th October 2002, 22:18   #342
JamesGT

lol, don't say that again I'll write you a greeaaat topic all in french :P

ouf... I think I will stop talking about useful and design, it an opinion thing. I'll continue giving suggestion.

To finish, the top winner of utilitarian skin is:

HIM

for its totaly no design skin!
congratulation!

Other nominies: 3/4 of the skin of the human section (3/4, there's good too!)
Old 6th October 2002, 22:29   #343
sunblocker

suggestion

Hiya Peter, following the progress of your skin since the very beginning - i absolutly adore it!
cause i dislike the current status bar in the stick mode, i made a quick img manipulation - how would that fit, if u have the volume slider on the right and the position slider on the left. simply and useable, without hurting the overall theme design.

the other question i got; couldn't u fit the classic mode a little widther, the way, it will be 1:1 to the playlist in smallest possible mode. just for the beauty of the skin =)

oh well, the possiblility the switch between the different shader modes has been discusses above and i'm sure, ur working on it at the moment. deffinitly needs to be worked out, after these three great modes are in one skin.
thanks for ur great work!
Attached Images
File Type: png mercury-melted.png (28.8 KB, 230 views)
sunblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2002, 22:32   #344
Drex

What would the current seek bar do, though?

And I'm not sure what you mean with regards to the playlist. That he extend the mid-size mode to fit with it? A minor inconvenience that I don't think would be worth addressing in the overall scheme of things, if that is the case.
Old 6th October 2002, 22:40   #345
JamesGT

yeah if you could make the slide bar like on the last screen sunbloker made, remove the one in the status bar, and the grip thing, not that it's useless, in my opinion it's not very great. replace it by the same buttons as the right side, with false buttons or control button (for transparency or scale).
an other suggestion, again it's a design suggestion you dont have to take it like a "reproche" (bad comment) but the play/stop/fwd/bwd buttons are almost the same, not readeble. you could make them more redable, and also thinking at adding shuffle button if you have a hole somewhere.
Old 6th October 2002, 22:44   #346
Drex

Shuffle is in the settings, I think. The grips are present in all the modes - it's a common theme, and it works, and it only adds a very small amount of space. Besides, wouldn't false buttons be even less useful? I wouldn't mind slightly larger play / pause / open / whatever buttons, but I think it works fine as it is. The control button is easily accessed with Ctrl+right click, and doesn't really warrant a new button.
Old 6th October 2002, 22:48   #347
JamesGT

well.......
ok
even if I like more controling all only with the mouse.
but that's good two side of the... something two diffrent opinions
Old 6th October 2002, 23:26   #348
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Re: suggestion

Quote:
Originally posted by sunblocker
Hiya Peter, following the progress of your skin since the very beginning - i absolutly adore it!
cause i dislike the current status bar in the stick mode, i made a quick img manipulation - how would that fit, if u have the volume slider on the right and the position slider on the left. simply and useable, without hurting the overall theme design.

the other question i got; couldn't u fit the classic mode a little widther, the way, it will be 1:1 to the playlist in smallest possible mode. just for the beauty of the skin =)

oh well, the possiblility the switch between the different shader modes has been discusses above and i'm sure, ur working on it at the moment. deffinitly needs to be worked out, after these three great modes are in one skin.
thanks for ur great work!
he's gonna skin the components too so don't worry about the witdh not matching, I'm sure he'll make it so it won't look bad..

the statusbar isn't that neccesary imo, it looked pretty good yes, but it looks better without it..

I gotta say, I like the stick mode just the way it is...

-Plague
Old 7th October 2002, 03:39   #349
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Whoa, I step out for a moment and it really gets going in here. I know I'm a little late, but here's what I got to say.

sunblocker, the switch button now pulls up a popup menu with the different modes on it which makes it much easier to select. I already said this in an earlier post. At most, it's 2 clicks to any mode. Sorry, but the seek bar is staying put. Maybe you are running an extreme resolution, but I'm running 1600x1200 and I have no trouble using it. I'm not going to widen classic mode, but like Plague said, once the components are skinned, it will look better.

JamesGT, I'm doing my best to make this skin as usable as possible and still work within the vision I initially had. You'll notice that I have been quick to implement suggestions for usability and function that fit *within* my design, but the design itself has been completely up to me, as it should be. This skin has all of the different modes and configuration options in an effort to please as many people as possible, but I know it's not going to be for everyone. If you are looking for hardcore usability, there are skins better suited to you.

Drex, thanks for taking up my side in my absence!

All in all, I really have felt that I am doing my best to address everyone's issues and concerns with this skin. Mercury has the input and good ideas of a lot people put into it and I appreciate it. Acknowlegdement will be given. Let me get back to skinning now...
Old 7th October 2002, 03:50   #350
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Wow, I just noticed. With all the chatting (constructive chatting might I add ) that's been going on here, this thread has the second most replies of any in this forum. Exceeded only by by BOOM, of course. Thanks guys!
Old 7th October 2002, 06:33   #351
SNYder
Forum King

your skin deserves all the love and exposure it's getting. It really whips the llamas bootie.
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2002, 06:47   #352
cakemikz

Send a message via AIM to cakemikz Send a message via Yahoo to cakemikz
yeah, i am jeleous of your seemingly effortless ability to come up with smooth and great shapes for your skins) and your probable ability to correctly spell the word jeleous (unless of course i spelled it right, which..i most likely didnt..)

i am trying to come up with a shape for my next skin and absolutely cannot do so..all the hype that surrounds you is definately deserved and your skill in photoshop and with code is absolutely wonderful

thanks for your help

(in case many of you didnt know i stalled the progress of this beautiful skin by crying and whining about my own until rpeterclark came to my rescue and helped me get mine running..he did A LOT..)

thank you so much ur awesome dude
cakemikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2002, 06:55   #353
RandomCarpet

i wish that had happened to my thread too

so Pete, i've a suggestion concerning switching between all the modes (btw i like all of them maybe the super-slim is not that great but this my opinion only)
i think it would be nice if there were some kind of check-boxes for the modes in the Configure window so the user could shoose which of the modes he/she would like to use
for example he/she doesn't like the mini and this option will allow him/her to skip that mode when switching
hope u agree with me

i'm sorry if anybody suggested this before, just didn't read aaaaall of the posts

Latest skin: fCrcl
RandomCarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2002, 07:20   #354
Drex

You mean customizing the drop-down menu in configurations? And interesting idea, but with only four modes to switch between, I think a simple drop-down menu with the choices would suffice. It makes sense to me, anyway. *shrugs*
Old 7th October 2002, 08:55   #355
D&B
Banned

Quote:

Sorry badrad, you've been a major supporter throught the development of this skin and I'd hate to disappoint you, but unless I get some crazy inspiration, I think it's gone. But you never know, it's not over until the fat lady sings...
Eh, its your skin. Ill still use it and love it, the slim flat windowshade is my personal preference. You have NO need to cater to everyone desires, but the fact that you have been so open to input I think only enhances the skin. It is the best skin i have ever seen. I love it, and do not mind your executive decision.

Quote:
Alright, I hate to disappoint, so I've begun working on a slim-mode:
Woohoo! I love it!

Quote:
Something new to play with:
[list][*]I got SNYder's $20, so I put a seek in the mini mode. It's small, but handy.

I still have a lot more to work on. I'll get those component windows skinned and the menus and some custom visualizations. I'm also making a shade mode for the playlist, similar in appearance to the slim mode of the player.

Getting closer...
Downloading now.... Great! Its awesome!

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesGT

To finish, the top winner of utilitarian skin is:

HIM

for its totaly no design skin!
congratulation!

Oh my God! That is horrid!

Quote:

sunblocker, the switch button now pulls up a popup menu with the different modes on it which makes it much easier to select.

You'll notice that I have been quick to implement suggestions for usability and function that fit *within* my design, but the design itself has been completely up to me, as it should be. This skin has all of the different modes and configuration options in an effort to please as many people as possible, but I know it's not going to be for everyone.

All in all, I really have felt that I am doing my best to address everyone's issues and concerns with this skin. Mercury has the input and good ideas of a lot people put into it and I appreciate it. Acknowlegdement will be given. Let me get back to skinning now...
Peter, you have done an amazing job here. Not only having an awesome design, but listening too feedback as well. I dont know what else to say, you are just fucking awesome! THANK YOU!

Quote:
You mean customizing the drop-down menu in configurations? And interesting idea, but with only four modes to switch between, I think a simple drop-down menu with the choices would suffice. It makes sense to me, anyway. *shrugs*
I agree.
D&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2002, 13:34   #356
sunblocker

i totally agree to each point badrad has in his post above
thx for sharing this with us peter!
sunblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2002, 14:32   #357
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
Quote:
Originally posted by badrad

Oh my God! That is horrid!
yes. it also has 5000+ downloads
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2002, 15:53   #358
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by binary hero

yes. it also has 5000+ downloads
That actually HURTS my brain.
D&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2002, 21:27   #359
RandomCarpet

Quote:
a simple drop-down menu'd work nice too

i think none of us want overworked rpeterclark so he is the man who chooses what to do or not
i'm never gonna be disappointed of whatever he does

user's ability to choose what mode(s) to use gives more flexibility though

Latest skin: fCrcl
RandomCarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2002, 04:11   #360
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Here's a new graphic that shows everything as it is now:

You'll see there's a new stand-alone equalizer, and the EQ has it's own stick mode. I've been doing my best to try and put in some snap points, but Winamp seems kindof flakey with them, or I'm not doing it right, but they work alright.

Some changes coming up, I'll be making another stand-alone window for a Thinger. I'm removing the Settings button from the stick mode and putting in individual buttons for shuffle/cross/repeat, no need to make a window for 3 options. Once I get these things done, I'll release another update since you all seem antsy for a better way to switch modes. Like I;ve already said, I have a drop-down now with the 4 modes on it which makes it pretty easy.

Then there's still a bunch of other stuff to do, but I'm making progress. After this wednesday, I'll have more free time to work on this, so expect it to speed up!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins