Old 10th January 2004, 00:52   #1
vicecitysoap

Send a message via AIM to vicecitysoap Send a message via Yahoo to vicecitysoap
Stargate

Is anyone doing a modern skin for stargate? Would be a great skin if the gate was the player and the event horizon was the visualization! And at song change the gate "flushed". You guys are good! How about it?
vicecitysoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2004, 01:00   #2
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nimelennar
Good idea, but can we make the center do something else other than visualizations too (I don't have them installed)?
>and as an easter egg suggestion, can someone look up gate addresses from the series or movie and make something cool happen when the 7 symbols for earth are pressed in sequence? Just a suggestion.

The world is made of conflicts: good and evil, order and chaos, light and dark, hot and cold. All are essential to life. None can prevail for any length of time, or life will fail. In the end, the best any can hope for is balance.
Nimelennar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2004, 01:09   #3
White Raven
Little Winged One

Maybe like, they light up or something?
But the Gate would be cool. Good idea, yus0r.

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2004, 10:00   #4
! ! !SuesseNina

email to me too please

If it's done please get in touch with me too, I'm not good in designing but I like the stargate-series in TV & would love the skin
Old 10th January 2004, 20:20   #5
vicecitysoap

Any designers up to the challenge?!? I would attempt but I am a full time student not to mention I don't know how to work with any code. I think it would be popular! Maybe a DHD as the control center, somehow incorporating gate symbols.
Old 15th January 2004, 15:58   #6
FANTACMET

Send a message via ICQ to FANTACMET Send a message via AIM to FANTACMET Send a message via Yahoo to FANTACMET
I might consider some of the graphics, but someone else is gonna have to do the coding, as that would be one hell of a coding challenge, and I'm still learning the code. And I know nothing of MAKI I find it confusing. As for code I'm gonna primarily stick with my html, dhtml, and mirc scripting languages. LOL. If there are any coders who will jump on the bandwagon and collaborate with me, I'll see about doing the graphics. As for the center, I'm thinking use that for like lit up indicators, the spectrum anylizer, and song and time info and tickers, switchable to visualizations, if you have them installed. Color themes could change the color of the center section. Buttons could be around the rim taking place of the glyphs and runes perhaps? Or maybe the play buttons at the main little window thingy's, and then the rest in between them? What do y'all think? If someone is willing to give the coding a shot I'll give the graphics a shot.
FANTACMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 17:36   #7
vicecitysoap

Awesome! All we need now is a brave coder. Easier said than done, however. About the graphics I think the main thing is a detailed gate that spins. And maybe the minimized version could be the DHD. Anyways the possibilities are endless. FANTACMET, I thank you for you interest.
Old 16th January 2004, 01:32   #8
Foxw

if you guys get the Graphics sorted out and the feature list getting a coder would be lots easier.

also I recommed the following.

Set up the seeker so it's the Chevron lights, say start 0 at earth's symbol, then go clockwise, so at ever 14.5% a cheveron lights up.

also animating a Event horizen/wormhole effect would be possible, but murder, I might if the main gate graphics are decent enough be able to render the effect, but animating it might be a headache.

mmmmm I recomend the following.

using the seeker like i mentioned, and using the gate symbol ring as the volume, then placing the Cbuttons on the DHD which will be at the base then having the vis over a animated event horizen placed behind it (and just swap the vis for eq etc)

that's my 2 cents

~Fox
Skins in dev | Prime | Untitled | STARGATE
My Deviantness
Foxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2004, 03:40   #9
FANTACMET

Send a message via ICQ to FANTACMET Send a message via AIM to FANTACMET Send a message via Yahoo to FANTACMET
Ok I'll start messing with graphics.

Ok I'll start messing with the graphics, give me a bit of time becuase I have like 7 skins I am working on. Whoever decides to code this, will get a zip file of all the graphics in .png format which is how it has to be in the end anyway. They'll be fairly easy to figure out what they are. I tend to name the graphics in such a was that a monkey could figure out what they are for within a few seconds. I like my file names to be descriptive. Hrm, now I gotta go look for some shots of the stargate itself. Oh one other thing, I'm thinking a stargate like that in the movie instead of the series, what do y'all think? There are some big differences, but I think the movie one would look better, it's more detailed and looks more feasable, cooler, and realistic. The series stargate is well um bland in my opinion.

Michael

P.S. What size?

Last edited by FANTACMET; 16th January 2004 at 03:57.
Old 16th January 2004, 05:05   #10
FANTACMET

Rough Draft One

Ok this is just a rough draft, the moving ring would look more like the real thing later on, it's like it is now just to give it some texture and contrast. The chevron's would also have more detail to them. What I want to know before I go further with this, is if something kinda like this is what y'all had in mind? Except more detailed obviously. I just don't want to waste countless hours of work on something y'all are gonna be like, nah thats not what we wanted. There would also be a base for it at the bottom covering up the bottom chevron, which is where things like volume and such would go. I was thinking on the base have the seeker, but the moving ring would rotate along with the seeker as a visual. I don't know how hard that would be for the coder. Any suggestions or critisizm on this thing is welcome. Please however remember this is FAR from what the finished product will look like, just thinking of an idea here very rough. Consider it a rough sketh minus details. Here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stargate rough draft 1.jpg (37.5 KB, 1887 views)
Old 16th January 2004, 09:50   #11
FANTACMET

Another Draft

Ok this is along the same lines but I think it looks ALOT better then the other one, but that is my opinion. I just wasn't happy with the other one. So I thought I'd do another one. Here is a link to the pic I based this off of.

http://www.blackguard.com/images/3d/stargate-sg1.jpg

The attachment is the newest incarnation. Again these are both just rough drafts of "screenshots" preliminary's, concept art if you will. Oh yeah, whats the DHD? I don't watch the series and it has been years since I've seen the movie. Trying to get ahold of a copy to watch right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stargate rough draft2.jpg (31.1 KB, 1830 views)
Old 16th January 2004, 21:13   #12
vicecitysoap

The DHD is a Dial Home Device. It is where the symbols are input which make up an address for a world. Earth has a computer which dials out. I agree that gate from the movie is much better & the "flush". But the series is awesome too. As far as wasting time, I think that as long as the gate graphics are as detailed as feasibly possible (chevrons and symbols) it will not be a waste of time. I did a google search for stargate pictures and the 1st link had great images.

This is the link http://www.shipbrook.com/jeff/raytrace/stargate.html

Of course this is VERY detailed but a great image to work from.
Old 17th January 2004, 04:52   #13
FANTACMET

Nothing wrong with detailed. If it comes to it, I may just say screw it and go grab all the ray tracing stuff, and render it in full 3D. Which of course with drawing the wireframs and such and with the slightly pre-beta quality of the wireframe builders things crash ALOT, whihc makes things slower, but the quality is unbelievable. Not to mention the right amount of detail takes hours upon hours to render. So what do y'all think of the prototype ones I did?
Old 17th January 2004, 14:25   #14
Foxw

It deffinatly has potential FantAcmet, but the event horizen needs work.

basically the Series is a direct continuation of the movie, cept with a more talented actor in the lead as oneil. It also expands greatly on the premise and is really worth watching (they also took the vauge science from the movie and redid some effects to agree with real science)

~Fox
My Deviantness
Old 17th January 2004, 17:13   #15
FANTACMET

Agreeance.

I can agree with the statements, I just can't really get into the show most of the time. Maybe it's the diretor, the stories, the dialog(most likely) I don't know. Anyhow, I can kind of agree on the event horizon thing too, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I need to come up with the symbols to add to the moving ring, just not sure what they are and can't find a good shot or explanation of them. I also need the particular order of them as well. Any idea's on the event horizon how to make it look more like the one on the movie/series would be cool. I'm just trying to make it look like water. I need to watch some eps or preferably the movie, but I can't find the movie to download. I have no money to rent it(explains why I am always on this thing) so hey. Anyway, which one of the two is better? I like the second one but thats my preference. LOL Catch ya on the flip side.
Old 17th January 2004, 18:29   #16
Nimelennar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nimelennar
http://www.rdanderson.com/stargate/glyphs/glyphs.htm

[edit]: And in case you haven't seen the movie, the glyphs represent constellations. [/edit]

The world is made of conflicts: good and evil, order and chaos, light and dark, hot and cold. All are essential to life. None can prevail for any length of time, or life will fail. In the end, the best any can hope for is balance.

Last edited by Nimelennar; 17th January 2004 at 19:05.
Nimelennar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2004, 23:56   #17
Foxw

Here's a Simple concept I did today, might give you some ideas,

It's not complete, I didn't do all the LIttle itty bitty details (the Show gate is a duplicate of the movie cept the one in the gateroom set has mechanics to move the "dial" ring)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stargateb.jpg (69.9 KB, 1581 views)

Last edited by Foxw; 18th January 2004 at 00:12.
Old 18th January 2004, 01:08   #18
vicecitysoap

Foxw, that is a great gate.
Old 18th January 2004, 04:36   #19
Foxw

Well I added some of the inner sections details.. But that outter edges ornimental details are proving to be a total Biatch... (just killed 3 hrs work cuz well.. it didn't work.. arg

heh you know I just realised I'm not even officialy part of this project. I just like the franchise alot.

now hmmmm should i pause to do the DHD..

OH here's a idea, why not use the GDO as the mini mode (it has a screen, buttons and would make a great Mini mode)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stargatec.jpg (81.5 KB, 1354 views)
Old 18th January 2004, 11:38   #20
FANTACMET

Hey fox, how's this, I'll keep working on the gate, if you wanna do the DHD for the shade mode? Since I don't really watch the series and didn't even know what the DHD was. LOL. As for the gate, my next one will be even grander. The after that will probably have to be layed into place because I'll have all the pieces seperate ready for finaly detailing before it goes to a coder.
My finaly gate is going to have ALOT of rough texture looking like the rock from which the gate was carved. Also, greysih tint or brownish tint? The movie it was brownish, so it's up to y'all.
Old 18th January 2004, 12:39   #21
Icegod

do both in different color themes.
Seems alright but I would like the brownish tint best.
And that was a good idea to make a stargate skin
Icegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 12:58   #22
FANTACMET

Latest Incarnation

Thank you for the glyphs. This is a mockup. I have all the pieces seperated so this can pretty much be the final incanation if was neccissary, but I think I can make it a bit better. Just gotta think how. Any idea's would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg draft1.jpg (40.9 KB, 1346 views)
Old 18th January 2004, 16:53   #23
Foxw

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/gallery/..._movie-med.jpg

here this is a background done from all Movie images Fant. Might help you detail it fully so it'll look good.
Old 19th January 2004, 01:38   #24
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Foxw: I love your stargate pic!
Please do something with it, I don't care if you're part of this project or not, just don't let this gate to to waste.

I'll keep my eyes on this thread..

-Plague
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2004, 03:15   #25
vicecitysoap

I agree with Plague! Besides anyone is on the project who wants to be, consider it official.
Old 19th January 2004, 05:35   #26
Foxw

Plauge: You mean that bg (which isn't mine) or the Gate graphic drafts i did?

Vice: Well your welcome to use my gate graphics if you want. You won't see me get too heavily involved simply because well, ya never know I could have my hydro shut off at anytime. (just took over the finances and found them in a complete mess, god just shoot me)

~Fox
My Deviantness
Old 19th January 2004, 14:17   #27
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Location: Universe > Milkyway > Sol > Earth > Europe > Germany > Bavaria > Near Nuremberg
Send a message via ICQ to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via AIM to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=RoNtZ=-
...foxw, your stargates aren't that bad, but they really could be much better. Fantacmet, please don't see this as an offense, but, i can really see almost no similarity between your pics and stargate... :-/
and i can'T believe that it's really THAT difficult to make a nice water effect for the inside... why do both of you make such strange things?

Frozen skins: Gravestone Betaskins: Mushroom ::-:: The Claw
In development: TechnodropFinished: Draculas Helmet (<-- still waiting for some color themes!) ::-:: Hal's eye
-=RoNtZ=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2004, 17:49   #28
Foxw

Rontz:.. Dude.. They call it a draft for a reason ya know .. I only spent like 4 hours in total over 2 days on it, hell it's still lacking most of the details and the polish. IT's a CONCEPT.. yeesh. mello a bit.

And oh I could do a better water effect, just wasn't about to bother as this isn't my project.

And I do unusual things because I HATE doing the same thing as everyone else. In my mind it's no better then doing 200 wa2 skins witha skin maker. I mean hell I've stopped even looking at most skins cuz it's just the same old same old, LCD this, realism that. it's gotten to the point where it no longer impresses me at all. I mean last one that impressed me was your Eye and that T3 skin. Not because thier hyper realisitc, but because they weren't the same old thing i've seen 100 times.

I'm just tired of this whole "gotta be super realistic, to be good" fad. *shrug* It's just not my thing, i'd rather it be hyper functional and appealing to me. I don't care if it's product based or realistic, function and originality are what matter to me.
Old 19th January 2004, 19:17   #29
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Foxw: yea I was talking about the gate itself, not the background..
Please finish it, and please oh please make it a winamp skin!

-Plague
Old 19th January 2004, 21:36   #30
vicecitysoap

It's fine to take things slow and do it right. Clearly there is an interest in a Stargate skin. And SG-1 is in it's 8th season, I think. On monday nights scifi channel 6pm-11pm, so check it out for quality assurance purposes.

RoNtZ: any ideas to improve? do you watch the show? every GOOD project needs a good critic. REALLY!

I myself don't know what to add to the project, besides advice about the show. I honestly never expected to get such good help. I am building a new system and expect to get a cable internet within a week or two. Tell me if there is something I can do to help.

Have we found someone willing to do the coding?
Old 19th January 2004, 23:11   #31
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Location: Universe > Milkyway > Sol > Earth > Europe > Germany > Bavaria > Near Nuremberg
Send a message via ICQ to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via AIM to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=RoNtZ=-
foxw, k, it'S a concept from your side, so i won't say anything about it hm... you were talking about realistic skins... i think you should always know if your skin has to be realistic or not. most fantasy skins should be a bit, the effects depend on it, but not too much. but in THIS skin should be VERY realistic.

vicecitysoap: i did watch the show ago, but i don't do that anymore.
anyways, here are some ideas for ya:
make it as much photorealistic as possible. use the show's textures, shapes, other graphics...let you inspire by stargates special effects...
that's the advice i can give you, if i can think about something else, i'll tell ya!

In development: TechnodropFinished: Draculas Helmet (<-- still waiting for some color themes!) ::-:: Hal's eye
Old 20th January 2004, 00:27   #32
Foxw

Try again

Okay, does this make you happier Rontz?

(had to reupload it, I realised i uploaded wrong pic too late)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stargate-d2.jpg (90.2 KB, 1289 views)
Old 20th January 2004, 00:52   #33
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Looks alot better!
but I noticed some details:
*The gate should actually have 9 chevrons, not 8 (check www.sg1archive.com and move the mouse over the "bridge" in the picture and you'll see..)

*The chevrons should have cone-formed shape, not straight line, than cone, like you have now..

Theese are just some small details imo, but if you're into making it as "realistic" as possible, than you should really make theese changes...

-Plague
Old 20th January 2004, 01:21   #34
vicecitysoap

Good call plague!
Old 20th January 2004, 02:20   #35
Foxw

I'll look into it.. will have to completly redo the chevrons from scratch though. TBH I was taking a bit of liberty mostly to comply with the 30% difference copywrite loophole so at no point MGM can't sue anyone *shrug* not like i care.. most they could get is the shirt off my back as that's bout all i got

I'll work on it as i steal time on the super computer

~Fox
My Deviantness
Old 20th January 2004, 02:31   #36
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

I highly doubt they would sue you, as they haven't sued that guy with the raytracer images of the stargate, which is like an almost exact replica of the entire stargate room.

-Plague
Old 20th January 2004, 06:48   #37
Foxw

hey, your talking to a guy who had 3 NFP Fan projects get nuked by lawsuits. but hey, i've got no problem retrofitting it.

Oh and yes i know i'm missing that infamous 9th chevron is well, i really need to work out size/spacing better hehe, which since i'll be redoing the chevrons now, gives me a great excuse.
Though some details i refuse to add due to when this img is cut down to 80% of current size to be a reasonable skin size.. some of the smallest details will go POOF anyways.

*shrug* i figure if i can get the gate looking right so you ppl are happy I'll start thinking over the DHD

So Vice.. what do you think of the idea i had of having the "Garage Door Opener" server as the mini mode

~Fox
My Deviantness
Old 20th January 2004, 11:44   #38
vicecitysoap

Foxw, sounds great.

Would it be too difficult to do an animated iris? I would imagine, just thought I would throw it out as an idea.
Old 20th January 2004, 12:06   #39
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

foxw, that's very nice! some thingies:

* the whole gate is too bright for my taste

* the red part of the chefrons looks dumb (not your fault) ... you should change it that way, that it's looking good (though it's not looking like in the show then )

*the water ..... it still looks strange, though it's the best try until now

vicecitysoap: yes, you can surely animate it, but it wouldn't look clear and would look stuffed together...

Old 20th January 2004, 12:39   #40
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

Rontz: unless the animation is done purely in the png's and not by code. If done in the png's and the artist is good enough, the animation should be possible to get really good..

-Plague
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins