Old 18th June 2002, 09:37   #1
Aynz

Send a message via ICQ to Aynz
Music Playing Fast

Hi to everyone. I have posted on this board before and got sound advice, hopefully I can get the same with my latest problem. As before I have search the technical support posts and help files for a solution to my problem but to no avail this is a last resort. And I will try to give as much info as possible.

Ok, my problem is this:

I have 2 pc's connected to each other by 2 network cards via a crossover cable (no firewall, no proxy server). PC 'A' also has a cable modem (512kbps) attached to it which PC 'B' shares. PC 'B' has the shoutcast software on it with winamp playing and had been streaming perfectly for a few days now. Everyone could hear the stream fine, it was touching with the shoutcast server, all was well. then........

I attempted to put introduce an intro file and that is when the problems started. Reading the help files I made sure the intro file was the same bitrate etc as the stream (56kbps 44khz stereo). The intro file is found when the DNAS started the stream and plays when someone starts a stream, but the music plays normally for about 5-10 seconds and the stream starts re-buffering and the music plays fast.

The only thing I have changed in the sc_serv.ini file is the intro file (obviously) it is called IntroFile=c:\intro%d.mp3 (the ; has been removed) and yport which is on 666.

I have reinstalled the winamp and shoutcast s/ware from scratch because when I first tried to do this I got bitrates wrong and generally ballsed it up and it was playing fast as the help files said it would. So I back tracked to the original setting. (the one that worked without the intro file) but the stream still played fast.

So I am currently at the state where as the intro file works but the music stream doesn't.

Can you help me please.
Aynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2002, 19:01   #2
Tom

It sounds like you are broadcasting in Mono and the intro file is in Stereo. If that is not it give the details of your stream (bitrate, samplerate, # of channels) and the same for the intro file.

Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2002, 21:18   #3
Aynz

No the intro file and the stream are both the same, I even changed the stream/intro file bitrate etc. They are now both 64kbps bitrate, 22khz sample rate and the channels are stereo and I am still getting the intro file playing fine then after 5-10 seconds into the stream it starts speeding up.

Attached is my sc_serv.ini file so you can see what I have set up.

the intro file is called intro64.mp3 and is situated directly in the c drive.

I hope you can help me with this problem.
Old 18th June 2002, 21:21   #4
Aynz

sorry here is the file. (change to .ini)
Old 18th June 2002, 21:56   #5
Tom

I removed your attachment because it looked like you forgot to edit the password out. Post a link to your stream, but I still think it is a mono vs. stereo issue.

Tom
Old 18th June 2002, 22:42   #6
Aynz

here is the link - http://62.30.110.3:8000/listen.pls
Old 18th June 2002, 23:22   #7
Tom

Kill the intro file in sc_serv.ini and then start the stream again so I can hear it without the intro.

Tom
Old 18th June 2002, 23:25   #8
Aynz

done
Old 18th June 2002, 23:44   #9
Tom

It still sounds funny and then leads to a rebuffer then play rebuffer, play rebuffer .....
Are you sure you have enough bandwidth?

Tom
Old 18th June 2002, 23:50   #10
Aynz

yep in fact my cable modem upgraded to a 1mb line today. I have just done a bandwidth test at http://speedtest.redwire.net/ and it came back with 962 down and 232 up.

Before the intro file was introduced everything worked fine, but now even with it taken out it has stayed with the same problem.
Old 19th June 2002, 18:59   #11
Aynz

anyone got any ideas how I can resovle this problem, it is really frustrating seems as I had it working before I started putting an intro file on.
Old 19th June 2002, 19:05   #12
Jay
Moderator Alumni

are you doing any DSP plugin stacking, any new general plugin files added to Winamp recently?
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2002, 20:51   #13
Aynz

none of that no. I don't know if this helps but the higher the bitrate the faster the music gets and if I change it to the lowest bitrate it only plays slightly faster than normal speed.
Old 25th June 2002, 06:49   #14
Joebeans

Hey Aynz,Tom and KXRM

I'm having a very similar problem as Aynz and was hoping you guys can help.

My streams play fast and choppy too. I haven't had a smooth stream going yet.

I'm streaming 128kbps 44khz stereo mp3 files
My encoder is set to 128/44/stereo
I renamed my files "filename128.mp3" (not sure if that's necessary but hey..)
I have no intro file.
I'm not doing any DSP plugin stacking.
I did a bandwidth test at http://speedtest.redwire.net and it came back as "Speed 2445(down)/382(up) kbps"
I'm running Win 98 on a AMD-K5 133Mhz with 32 Mb of ram.

Do you guys have any ideas what could be the problem?

JoeBeans
Joebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2002, 08:34   #15
Aynz

I ended up using oddcast DSP and ditching shoutcast DSP. It's weird how oddcast works but shoutcast doesnt. Anyway you can get oddcast DSP from http://www.oddsock.org/tools/ . You can still use the shoutcast DNAS to handle the server side of things but use the oddcast DSP plugin within winamp.

Hope that helps

Aynz
Old 25th June 2002, 23:12   #16
Joebeans

Thanks for the link!

I tried Outcast DSP and my stream is smoother.

The wierd things is that the play back on my computer is insanely choppy no matter at what resolution i transmit. I think i tried every configuration in Outcast and playback is still real slow. When i disconect Outcast, my playback returns to being normal but as soon as i reconnect things start sounding terrible.

I listened to my stream and it does sound better but i'm guessing that as soon as the listener's buffer catches up to my stream (whick plays in half-time) the listener will have inturuptions in sound. (not to mention how lame [no pun] it is not to be able to listen to your our machine cause the playback is so unbearable)

With Shoutcast DSP, my machine played the songs smoothly but the stream was clippy, and playing fast (skipping samples or something). I tried transmitting in various resolutions but the problem remained the same ; Bad stream.

It seems i'm having the same problem with both Shoutcast DSP and Outcast DSP, just in opposite ways...

Any ideas?

thanks
Joebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2002, 06:39   #17
Tom

Quote:
Originally posted by Joebeans

I'm running Win 98 on a AMD-K5 133Mhz with 32 Mb of ram.
Most likely your computer is simply too slow. Try setting the output to NULL and using Oddcast with the lowest quality settings or upgrade.

Tom
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Technical Support