Old 23rd July 2014, 11:57   #1
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Ad supported streams.

I've had it brought to my attention that Ad supported streams are now being offered with shoutcast If you stream using radionomy's servers.

With adverts injected into the stream 2 times an hour for 2 minutes each time.

Isn't this just going to piss listeners off?? I know when i listen to internet radio I switch stations off tht have adverts in the stream.

Also does this mean If you stream through the shoutcast service that radionomy pay your royalties for the stream?

What do others think....

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Online: Twitter - Blog - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:09   #2
Bryon Stout

this is the same business model all free hosting company's have.

Example:

http://www.listen2myradio.com/
http://myradiostream.com/

Pandora, spotify etc etc etc all have ads on their streams. Nothing new here bruh.

Although coming from a guy who makes it his full time job to bash spacial on every forum possible, it doesn't surprise me that you are complaining about something like this.
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:21   #3
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybaldy72uk View Post
I've had it brought to my attention that Ad supported streams are now being offered with shoutcast If you stream using radionomy's servers.
firstly, it is _only_ on hosted streams via this new service that ads will be injected (subject to the conditions in the FAQ in http://forums.winamp.com/forumdisplay.php?f=180 - more details will go into it as things develop).

if you're running a DNAS yourself, there is _no_way_ to do what is being offered and for those thinking that are very much mistaken. as it could only be done with legacy DNAS if the stream is relayed between the DNAS and the listener and that's just a ridiculous thing to attempt to do.

there will also be a standalone version of the DNAS provided later this year (as noted in the sub-forum related to the service) where it will be able to be configured to make use of the features for use by hosting providers (CDNs) and other stations which don't meet the broadcasting requirements for the hosting service now being provided. and if you don't like it / trust us, then you will still be able to force the DNAS to 'private' mode and do as you like.

Quote:
Isn't this just going to piss listeners off?? I know when i listen to internet radio I switch stations off tht have adverts in the stream.
that is your decision to not listen to such stations and yes it will probably annoy some users (but that's to be expected with anything) and what is being done is far better than the crap that US users had to put up with (and was going to be rolled out globally at one point) where when accessing the streams via the SHOUTcast site there were pre-roll ads before listening to a stream and every x plays / minutes in the flash player used at the time.

and it's not like most stations or even other platforms don't already have some sort of ad-driven model to keep them going as is. it's just how things are and for some it isn't acceptable but for most it's just something you get on with and is no more different than what commercial radio has been doing for decades and people still keep tuning into that!

this is all about choice and having SHOUTcast be more involved in the ecosystem that it's spawned over the years (which it should have done but didn't and almost led to it's demise). and the broadcasters accepted onto the new service get something back so as long as it's something they're happy with (they don't have to sign-up if they don't want to) then they get something back and a hopefully dramatic cut in costs to be broadcasting - now you cannot say that's not a good thing?

and finally as per the current FAQ, there is a certain level of control available over how and when the ads will be inserted, which based on the number of existing Radionomy streams, broadcasters and listeners on there seem to be ok with anyway.

Quote:
Also does this mean If you stream through the shoutcast service that radionomy pay your royalties for the stream?
no, the broadcasters need to pay for royalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon Stout View Post
this is the same business model most free stations hosting companys have. Nothing new here.
exactly and at least this way, the broadcaster is going to get revenue back on things as well by being part of the service.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:27   #4
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Just thought I would try the signup process apparently my station is being evaluted and I should hear back in a week....

Old 23rd July 2014, 13:30   #5
DrO

i doubt you will be accepted as this is primarily for larger stations for the time being and as you only seem to average a handful of listeners, i expect you'll be declined. but then i could be wrong...
Old 23rd July 2014, 13:39   #6
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i doubt you will be accepted as this is primarily for larger stations for the time being and as you only seem to average a handful of listeners, i expect you'll be rejected. but then i could be wrong...
Thought as much! But hey at least I tried.

Why there are such strict rules on how many TLH you have is beyond me. Why do they even bother with the service if they are just going to pick n choose who can and who can't use the services.

Aren't us hobby broadcasters important enough to to the Men In suits in Belgium?

Surely everyone should be able to use a service such as this.

No matter your listener counts etc ... It's like oh sorry your only small fry therefore we don't care for you.

The whole setup stinks if that is the case.

I guess the guys in suits who run Shoutcast now only care about profit margins and spreadsheets without thinking about everyone else.

I could be wrong but i think i'm right.

Old 23rd July 2014, 13:56   #7
DrO

Quote:
Why there are such strict rules on how many TLH you have is beyond me. Why do they even bother with the service if they are just going to pick n choose who can and who can't use the services.
this is the initial version and more things will come with time.

Quote:
Aren't us hobby broadcasters important enough to to the Men In suits in Belgium?
yes they are and there are definitely things coming for them in the future (either directly or indirectly).

Quote:
Surely everyone should be able to use a service such as this.
within reason. this is one area where financials are involved and if it costs more to host it than what it brings in then what's the point from a business perspective ? (as SHOUTcast is a business and so needs to pay the bills and keep the lights on, etc).

it's no more different than what any of the other free and paid services require and when things don't match up, services go dead, just like we saw happen to loudcity recently.

and it's not preventing anyone from running a station however they want to do or have already been doing it if they don't want (or are not eligible currently) to use the service we're now providing.

Quote:
No matter your listener counts etc ... It's like oh sorry your only small fry therefore we don't care for you.
again as i mentioned earlier, things are coming for the smaller broadcaster in the future.

Quote:
The whole setup stinks if that is the case.
and that is your opinion and it's not like you have to use any of this. so you can happily keep running a de-listed v1.x DNAS if that's what you want to do and none of the platform / broadcasting changes will have an effect on how you run your station - it'll just be like the AOL days where you're left to it (for good or bad depending on different people's viewpoint).

Quote:
I guess the guys in suits who run Shoutcast now only care about profit margins and spreadsheets without thinking about everyone else.
again, things have been considered for smaller broadcasters and things will come but this is part of a gradual roll out of new services and features.

obviously whatever i say is not going to make you think differently then so be it (and you can rant away on any platforms you like as you do anyway), but that statement you've made was correct a year ago, but it is not now (and that's my right of opinion on the matter based on what i know is happening and what will be coming).

so if you're not happy with what is happening (and i really should have put some money on you being the first to complain), then you don't have to be part of it or make use of any of the SHOUTcast platform in anyway (like de-listing yourself) and just ignore what is going on.
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:28   #8
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon Stout View Post
Although coming from a guy who makes it his full time job to bash spacial on every forum possible, it doesn't surprise me that you are complaining about something like this.
i expect we'll be getting the same treatment from now on <3
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:16   #9
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i expect we'll be getting the same treatment from now on <3
Not at all. I have no beef with winamp or shoutcast they've both been good to me.

I will see what happens with radionomy and wether they decide to allow small broadcasters to join their services in due course.

It just would've been nice to be able to sign up to it that is all. Without the need for huge TLH stats.

Quote:
P.S For Mr Stouts information I was ripped off by Spacial to the tune of $299 so that gives me every right to express what i think about them on my blog. Which is nothing to do with you.

Plus you had no right coming onto my facebook page last week and trying to tell me what to think either!

**Byron Stout Now added to ignore list**

Old 23rd July 2014, 15:22   #10
aron9forever

people don't understand the basics of how internet works
they just expect to get free shit

if you want a reliable, stable, and malleable shoutcast then you're either gonna pay for it or make it open source and wait 10 years for it to become good.

Also hosting radio streams takes the most bandwidth of any service currently being offered, except video streams. No game will ever, EVER require 128kbps for one user, that is, if you're running mp3, of course. 32kbps aac is the same deal, very few games use so much data. We may be developing and hosting's becoming cheaper and cheaper but you got to understand there are potentially thousands, even tens of thousands of people are gonna sign up for free streaming and someone's gotta pay the bill for it.

If having ads on 6.66% of your stream is bad, go use some service that covers over 50% of your page that you HAVE to use for this.

I'm not gonna spend money on shoutcast, or use their streaming service, because I can't afford it, and that may seem hypocritical, but still, my point is valid. Even if you don't want to spend money, I understand, but don't bash them for making a living and offering people free services.
aron9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:39   #11
DrO

well said
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:28   #12
Bryon Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron9forever View Post
people don't understand the basics of how internet works
they just expect to get free shit

if you want a reliable, stable, and malleable shoutcast then you're either gonna pay for it or make it open source and wait 10 years for it to become good.

Also hosting radio streams takes the most bandwidth of any service currently being offered, except video streams. No game will ever, EVER require 128kbps for one user, that is, if you're running mp3, of course. 32kbps aac is the same deal, very few games use so much data. We may be developing and hosting's becoming cheaper and cheaper but you got to understand there are potentially thousands, even tens of thousands of people are gonna sign up for free streaming and someone's gotta pay the bill for it.

If having ads on 6.66% of your stream is bad, go use some service that covers over 50% of your page that you HAVE to use for this.

I'm not gonna spend money on shoutcast, or use their streaming service, because I can't afford it, and that may seem hypocritical, but still, my point is valid. Even if you don't want to spend money, I understand, but don't bash them for making a living and offering people free services.
Glad someone understands.

Quote:
Not at all. I have no beef with winamp or shoutcast they've both been good to me.

I will see what happens with radionomy and wether they decide to allow small broadcasters to join their services in due course.

It just would've been nice to be able to sign up to it that is all. Without the need for huge TLH stats.

P.S For Mr Stouts information I was ripped off by Spacial to the tune of $299 so that gives me every right to express what i think about them on my blog. Which is nothing to do with you.

Plus you had no right coming onto my facebook page last week and trying to tell me what to think either!

**Byron Stout Now added to ignore list**
Just as "you have a right" so do I.

You were not ripped off, you just don't like their business model. So like a immature child you make it a point to constantly bash their brand. Grow up and focus on building your own brand.
Bryon Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions