Old 22nd November 2006, 02:05   #1
Prowan

Why listen to music from unknown bands

I'm not posting a link to my band or anything, just a few general observations on people's complete lack of interest (including my own) in listening to new random unsigned bands.

You work on a CD for a year, utterly consumes you, you feel you're really onto something and you have your band members arguing whether you should sell it for $12.99 or $10.99 and should we make 500 copies or 1,000 - with the guy at the studio telling you what a better deal 1,000 is.

You hand it your friends, people from work who've been saying "can't wait to hear it" and then you find out two weeks later they haven't gotten around to listening to it. A few random strangers on CDbaby buy it when it shows up in the new artist section (is that their hobby, building a collection of random unsigned bands). Those four people actually logged their credit card in, and waited for it to arrive by mail. God bless them but I couldn't imagine doing that.

Getting on I-Tunes seemed like it would open doors, but who is going to stumble upon my stupid band and pony up even 99 cents? Would I? No. I dont want my ipod cluttered with nonsense.

So I gave it away and after saying "I can't even give it away" found that I could, that some people, a certain minority would actually take it, actually download the cd etc.

Which has totally changed my approach to writing songs. I used to write short stories but who am i gonna get to read that. I thought songs are only 3 minutes, people can listen to that, but they really can't, if the song sucks, you just wasted 3 minutes of their time. you have 30 seconds, if you're lucky, to get them interested enough to listen for another 30 seconds...and if there's any place you stumble during that next 30 seconds, that's it. People don't need to be bothered, myself included.

Which leads to my last long winded point. When I first got criticism from people who never did anything creative, i would think "i'd like to see you create something from scratch." But they never claimed to, never demanded attention from anyone. But when you put a song out there you are demanding attention. people have the right to say get that cr*p out of my face. they have tons of music that they're fond of without listening to your third rate nonsense, and can i blame them, not at all.
Prowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 03:43   #2
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Create for your own pleasure, not for attention.
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 04:19   #3
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quote:
Originally posted by skryingbreath
Word.

As soon as you're creating for someone else, you've taken a lot of yourself out of it and therefore it suffers.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 05:21   #4
Prowan

I hear what you're both saying about doing it for yourself and that's why you write, but when you are now going to present it, I think the listener suddenly takes the front seat. You can certainly be more indulgent once you've got the following, but when you're unknown, i think you do need to adress the listener's thoughts of "why the hell am i listening to this."
Old 22nd November 2006, 05:41   #5
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Protip: Don't give a shit about the listener. Well, don't care much about the listener, as most people won't give a shit whether your solo is diatonic or pentatonic, they just want something badass to listen to.

Heed swingdjted's post, as it is thruthfull.

[edit: Send me a PM with a link to a song or two, I'm curious.]
Old 22nd November 2006, 05:59   #6
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Gimme a pm of it too - I like trying everything I can get my hands on.

Honestly, I thought music was the best career for me because I loved it (playing, listening, teaching).

I tried writing and performing in a number of bands during middle school, high school and early college, but the problem with what we've been talking about got in the way too much. Well, that and it caused me to drink a lot and to second hand smoke far more than most heavy smokers take in...

I even went to college (YSU Dana School of Music) and got a music ed degree, and started teaching full time, but teaching music isn't nearly as perfect as I thought it was - I spent most of my time writing marching band drills, scheduling busses, buying and repairing instruments, recruiting band members, ordering and organizing sheet music, etc. etc. and only some of my time was actually teaching music. This made it more of a job than a passion, which made me start to reduce my love for it.

I then went to grad school for counseling, something else I have a passion for, and therefore I can now work, doing counseling and come home to music and absolutely love both.

I jam with some friends in my basement and have a great time, and we don't worry about whether or not it'll sell because we have other jobs, and we only perform at parties, or open mic nights, or when other bands ask us to guest-play.

I'm not saying you can't have a great performing career, but honestly, if you don't find a way to keep it yours, you'll sell out and won't like it anymore.

From my understanding, Skry's art is more visual than performing, but that doesn't make a difference when it comes to creativity vs. doing what your audience wants.

Old 22nd November 2006, 06:10   #7
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Quote:
Originally posted by swingdjted
From my understanding, Skry's art is more visual than performing,~
You understand incorrectly.
I've been playing for 5 years, composing for 3. None of my work has ever made it passed the piece of paper it sits on. And I like it that way. I'm sure others do as well, hehehe.
Old 22nd November 2006, 07:48   #8
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

ahh, I didn't know that

and yeah, it's fine (perfect actually) that way if you like it that way

Old 22nd November 2006, 13:27   #9
Mattress
Forum King

if you think your music is good, then you need to get it out there for people to hear for free. It's hard to pay money for music that you've never heard. Try to get your music played on your local college radio station or even on popular internet radio stations or on popular music podcasts.

Once people get a sampling of your music, if they like it, they'll buy it. I used to find all of my new music by listening to internet radio, when ever a song came on that I really dug, I'd write down the band name and song title so I could further investigate the band and most likely buy some music from them.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 03:12   #10
Prowan

I just read people's reply which i appreciate and unfortunately im drunk from the whole thanksgiving everyone in town thing...so will make my point more coherentently soon...

but i can write a song about how i used to count as a way of dealing with my parents fighting, i have, but who wants to listen to it. i guess my point is, stay totally true to yourself when writing the song, and then see which ones might be commercial and go from there, because you do want the tree that falls in the woods to be heard. i dont want to be using this website as promotion, but to the few who asked, my cd is free at

huntingbigfoot.com/music

downloaded songs tend to be halfway out my mind, why wont you talk to me and the expletive laced 3fn wives: chicago...am so done with concept albums.

but never mind that, here are lyrics to my newest song...maybe it's not about trying to sell out, maybe it's more about not wanting to sell out to what's expected...i dont know im confused, but would love feedback on these lyrics which to me was getting real

Wake up, five minutes till dawn
with the flashbacks from last night when things went terrribly wrong
the last thing i remember was you saying we're done
as i kicked on your door, saying things i shouldn't of....said
and i know im messed in the head
ive got brains but i dont use them instead
i find a way to sabatoge all the good things in my life
when my common sense has gone to bed

I tried everything to repay for last night
but my words are so broke and so utterly meaningless, I'm
gonna buy a big jig of wine
and head out for the hills
I've looked in the mirror, I've said it to myself
and just cause you've changed, doesn't mean you are somebody else
never wanted to be no one else
always liked just being me

(last stanza is more of a rap)

It’s freaking strange all the ways how times have just changed
Everybody’s getting married but I’m still the same
Dumb loser who’s throwing what he’s got down the drain
And if I go out in flames I wont forget all the names...
Of people who tried to talk some sense into me
That little old lady who told me what I could be
If I would just take life more seriously
Stop climbing up trees, that are about to just be,
Chopped down...
Old 23rd November 2006, 11:50   #11
Schmeet
Major Dude

Underground scenes are far much better than mainstream ones anyway.
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2006, 22:01   #12
Mattress
Forum King

That's silly. You should like what you like because you like it, not because it happens to be 'underground' or not.
Old 29th November 2006, 02:41   #13
jenlovetv
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
That's silly. You should like what you like because you like it, not because it happens to be 'underground' or not.
i agree 100%. Being underground does not make music any better .
jenlovetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 07:34   #14
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Or worse.

Old 29th November 2006, 07:55   #15
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Because before any band ever became known, they were unknown.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 19:20   #16
Mattress
Forum King

Prowan, your band is decent. The lead singer could definitely benefit from some voice lessons.

Good tunes though, nice work.
Old 30th November 2006, 19:54   #17
Schmeet
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
I never said somebody should like something because it's underground. Just as a general rule of thumb, playing in small clubs infront of an audience who is more open minded to new music is a lot better.
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 23:01   #18
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Most of the time I find that true - I usually have a better time going to clubs (e.g. in Akron, the Lime Spider) to see a band's gig over going to an enormous concert hall/amphitheater (a.k.a. in Akron, Blossom Music Center) to see a major concert. I know a lot would disagree with this, but it's true for me.

Old 3rd December 2006, 17:56   #19
burnitdown

Quote:
Create to communicate something. If you have nothing to say, dont' record.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 02:32   #20
Prowan

Thanks for checking it out mattress, vocals should be alot better on 2nd cd. I just think now after you write the song, and you're recording, and you're selecting the songs to put out there, the listener and his/her time is what matters. That doesn't mean selling out, but it means realising you're putting out a product, so the rambling boring "means something to you song" that no one's grooving to needs to be dropped, and be constantly editing. And any part of a song that doesn't move the song forward is a squandered opportunity. And leave the self-indulgence for the bands that have established themselves and earned the right to at times.

As far as live music, I agree on the small venue thing. I live in nyc and check out alot of british bands that haven't gotten big here at small 200 person venues and couldn't imagine doing the giant stadium thing now.

but i think with so many bands out there, you have about a minute to grab people, and the listener has to be king.
Old 15th December 2006, 01:59   #21
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Quote:
Protip: Don't give a shit about the listener. Well, don't care much about the listener, as most people won't give a shit whether your solo is diatonic or pentatonic, they just want something badass to listen to.
I demand songs in phrygian mode!

I'd also like to hear the original poster's music, if it's still floating around.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2006, 04:07   #22
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I Don't Punch Little Muthafukkin Assholes Lightly

Good way to remember:

Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian

For phrygian music that is common for it's time, you might have to go all the way back to Gregorian chant.

interesting link for any scale you want:

http://www.jguitar.com/scale

Old 15th December 2006, 12:52   #23
Mattress
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
I'd also like to hear the original poster's music, if it's still floating around.
look here
Old 15th December 2006, 13:07   #24
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
heh, oops.

@swingdjted, dorian is my second favorite. . . dorian minor that is.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama