Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 15th February 2013, 11:50   #1
Urith

Volume bar keeps decreasing/increasing when using volume buttons

Hello, I'm just wondering how to prevent volume button on my keyboard or headset from increasing the volume output on winamp, even in fullscreen programs it increases the volume % on winamp.
Urith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 12:00   #2
Urith

Let's say I want winamp volume at 20% while playing a game with sound on, I can't do that at the moment because increasing/decreasing overall volume with keyboard or headset also increases volume percent on winamp. :/
Old 15th February 2013, 12:18   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

If you are using a version of Windows more recent than XP, you can use the Windows volume mixer to adjust the relative increase in Winamp volume compared to the overall master volume level. You can do this for each individual app that is running and the system sounds. The settings are maintained when apps are closed and restarted, so if you want a different relative level you need to re-adjust the settings

To access the mixer use the icon on the right side of the taskbar that looks like a speaker cone, right click it and select "Open Volume Mixer". Use your keyboard or headset to increase the overall volume to the level you want (should correspond to the mixer control on the far left), then use the mixer's control for Winamp to decrease Winamp's volume level.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 12:25   #4
Urith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
If you are using a version of Windows more recent than XP, you can use the Windows volume mixer to adjust the relative increase in Winamp volume compared to the overall master volume level. You can do this for each individual app that is running and the system sounds. The settings are maintained when apps are closed and restarted, so if you want a different relative level you need to re-adjust the settings

To access the mixer use the icon on the right side of the taskbar that looks like a speaker cone, right click it and select "Open Volume Mixer".

Well, that is common knowledge and it doesn't solve the problem. The problem I have is something that happened recently when I updated winamp to a newer version, I could increase/decrease the overall volume with volume buttons without increasing/decreasing the % volume in winamp itself.

I just want the volume bar marked here to stay where it is, unaffected by the volume buttons like before.

Old 15th February 2013, 12:30   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

It is general knowledge, but some are still not aware.

Anyway, have you disabled the global hotkey options in General Preferences?

Old 15th February 2013, 12:34   #6
Urith

No, I need to have it activated to swap songs & pause with the media buttons on my keyboard. But global hotkeys enabled has always worked before without the volume spazzing out whenever I want to take the sound up or down.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:42   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Try disabling the hot keys related to volume.

Old 15th February 2013, 12:43   #8
Urith

I tried finding any global hotkeys related to volume prior to making this thread, but I couldn't find any. Going to double check now.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:46   #9
Urith

Still no keys related to ''playback: volume up/down'' or anything else having to do with volume activated in global hotkeys. Tried adding new hotkeys for ''playback: volume up/down'' but the problem still remains.

Should also mention that disabling global hotkeys solves the problem but adds an even worse problem, I can't live without my media keys.

edit: removed every global hot key that's not pause/play, next track, previous track, and stop. Still not working.
Old 15th February 2013, 12:56   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

I'm able to remove the volume hot keys. Are you looking at General Preferences - Global Hotkeys and have both boxes checked on the right? If so, you should be able to select the keys in the list and click the remove button to delete those you don't want to affect Winamp.

Edit: Shutdown and restart Winamp after removing the keys.

Old 15th February 2013, 13:05   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urith View Post
Should also mention that disabling global hotkeys solves the problem but adds an even worse problem, I can't live without my media keys.

edit: removed every global hot key that's not pause/play, next track, previous track, and stop. Still not working.
It does not make sense that disabling all the hot keys works, but removing individual ones does not.

I'm out of suggestions.

Old 15th February 2013, 13:06   #12
Urith

I would be able to remove them too if there were any volume hotkeys listed there, but there isn't Which makes me wonder how it still doesn't work (yes I am in the general preferences -> global hotkeys tab). I restarted winamp and the issue is still there.

I take it you saw my edit in my last post, if you didn't here it is: I removed every global hot key that's not pause/play, next track, previous track, and stop. Still not working.

Old 15th February 2013, 13:12   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Ok, I see volume up and volume down in my list. Try clicking the "Restore defaults" button to see if they appear. If so, then shutdown and restart and try removing them.

Old 15th February 2013, 13:12   #14
Urith

Quote:
It does not make sense that disabling all the hot keys works, but removing individual ones does not.

I'm out of suggestions.
Well, that sucks. It's kind of annoying having winamp increase or decrease in volume twice as fast as everything else...
Old 15th February 2013, 13:15   #15
Urith

Quote:
Ok, I see volume up and volume down in my list. Try clicking the "Restore defaults" button to see if they appear. If so, then shutdown and restart and try removing them.
Okay, the volume hotkeys appeared, I removed them and restarted winamp. Didn't fix it.
Old 15th February 2013, 13:27   #16
Aminifu
Forum King

Did you shutdown and restart before removing them? If so, then I would say you have found a bug. You can return to the version you were using or use the hotkey plug-in from that version with the current version until the bug is fixed.

I'm just a user like you and agree that it's a major hassle when things that used to work stop working because of an upgrade that is supposed to fix things (not introduce other problems). But with code as old and complex as Winamp's, it does happen from time to time.

Old 15th February 2013, 13:37   #17
Urith

Quote:
Did you shutdown and restart before removing them? If so, then I would say you have found a bug. You can return to the version you were using or use the hotkey plug-in from that version with the current version until the bug is fixed.

I'm just a user like you and agree that it's a major hassle when things that used to work stop working because of an upgrade that is supposed to fix things (not introduce other problems). But with code as old and complex as Winamp's, it does happen from time to time.
Damnit, time to re-organize my whole library then. Thanks for the help. :F
Old 15th February 2013, 15:06   #18
Urith

If anyone think they have another solution I would be happy to know, I will be monitoring this thread for a couple of weeks most likely.
Old 15th February 2013, 18:59   #19
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
u didn't answer his Q.

and instead of removing them, try remapping them.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 20:33   #20
Urith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
u didn't answer his Q.

and instead of removing them, try remapping them.
The reply speaks for itself, I wouldn't have written it like that if I hadn't tried it the way he said I should do. Also, remapping them does nothing.
Old 15th February 2013, 20:39   #21
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
and with that, i am out.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote