Old 2nd January 2008, 19:32   #1
ArielleX

Transferring itunes library into winamp? HELP!!

Alright so I'm one of the many people who are still stuck with Windows 2000 and got a new ipod nano for Christmas. The requirements for the ipod are Windows XP or Vista and itunes 7.4 or higher. I have itunes 7.3 on Windows 2000 so there is no way to put anything onto my ipod. I downloaded the latest version of Winamp. My itunes library has about 800 songs that I either downloaded from the itunes store or uploaded from cds. it's all organized, all my music is on ITUNES. Is there any way I can bring all those files into Winamp and sync it to my ipod? I know they're protected aav(mp4) files but the only way to get any music onto my ipod is by taking them from my itunes library itself. Please help, thanks!

Arielle Gabrielina
ArielleX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:50   #2
cs188

Send a message via AIM to cs188
Yep, you can set Winamp to automatically scan your iTunes library for your media files.

Winamp > Options > Preferences > Media Library > Local Media > "Watch Folders" tab

Once you've gotten there, click the "Add Folder" button, and navigate to your My Music folder, in which the iTunes Music folder is normally located. After that's done, click the "Rescan Now" button, and Winamp will start adding your iTunes library to the Winamp library.

Unfortunately, Winamp won't be able to import or play the .m4p (iTunes Protected) files that you bought from the iTunes store. You would most likely have to burn these tracks/albums to CD using iTunes (preferrably burn to CD-RW so you can re-use the CD over and over again), and then re-rip as regular MP3 or AAC files. Making sure that they are in a DRM-free format will also ensure there won't be any problems when Winamp tries to sync to your ipod.

Hope that helps a bit,

- cs188
cs188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:09   #3
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
Winamp can play the protected iTMS files if you use the third-party m4p plugin here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....did=155680#M4P

If you want to import you iTunes Library with ratings and playcounts you can use the ml_impex plugin which can use an iTunes XML file to load the songs. This plugin is somewhat limited but does work.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=155680#impex

cs188 has the best idea which is to load your iTunes Library folder into Winamp as a watched folder.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:14   #4
cs188

Thanks for the link J_Darnley, I knew that plugin existed but couldn't remember where the download for that was. Do you know if Winamp would also be able to sync those protected files to the ipod successfully? (I have very little experience with ipods, I have a Zune.)

- cs188
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:23   #5
J_Darnley
Forum King

I don't know either. If the iPod and pmp_ipod report m4p as being a supported extension then yeah, I don't see why they wouldn't be transferred. If they have a list of supported extensions like pmp_usb devices do then you may have to add m4p to it.

Old 2nd January 2008, 20:41   #6
ArielleX

Thanks alot! Alright I just put about 300 songs into my winamp playlist and I'm thrilled to see it copied artwork, too. now, 2 more questions:

What do I do now to sync this to my ipod?
Because when I plug my ipod in itunes automatically pops up informing me that I need the newest version

And,

Will videos not be able to be copied to my ipod through winamp? thanks!!
Old 2nd January 2008, 21:17   #7
J_Darnley
Forum King

There is some option in iTunes that will tell it not to appear when you connect your iPod. On the Winamp side you will need to have the pmp_ipod plugin, that comes with Winamp, installed then you can configure the settings in Prefs -> Media Library -> Portables -> %your portable name%. Then you can use the Sync, Auto-Fill buttons or the send to menu. As for videos... I have no clue, some have said that it works.

Old 3rd January 2008, 01:04   #8
ArielleX

Ok so I put all my stuff onto my ipod. Songs, photos, but now my cover art isn't appearing at all on the ipod, no songs display it. The cover art shows up in Winamp but it isn't showing up on the ipod. I went into the winamp preferences and ENABLED cover art display but it still won't show up. . .:-\
Old 3rd January 2008, 03:45   #9
ArielleX

Anybody know how to get the album covers up?
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:47   #10
Tree Climber

Quote:
Originally posted by J_Darnley
There is some option in iTunes that will tell it not to appear when you connect your iPod.
If anyone knows how to do this, please post it. There is no way to save pref. changes for me.
Tree Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 22:38   #11
cs188

@Tree Climber
Might want to try Edit > Preferences > Syncing tab in iTunes, and check "Disable Automatic Syncing"? I am not too sure, I have little experience with that *other* media player.

As for the album art problem...that is strange, because iTunes album art is usually always embedded in the tags of each of the files, regardless of whether you ripped from CD or bought them from the iTunes store. So whereever the file goes, album art will always go along with it. When Winamp transfers the files to your ipod, your ipod should be able to read the album art in the tags. I'm not sure what the issue might be in this case, but I hope you guys find a solution.

- cs188
Old 16th June 2008, 19:27   #12
zootallure

If it is for help to anyone: I tried to do as cs188 suggested, but nothing happened. Then I searched Winamp for good, and came to this solution:

In Bento Big screen I clicked "Library" (bottom of screen on the left side). Then I clicked "Import database", browsed to "my music" and then "iTunes" folder. I imported the iTunes xml file in 20 seconds. Great! Now I can get rid of the "The original file could not be located. Do you want to locate it now?" player...

Zootallure
zootallure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 20:12   #13
boozec

so now what do I do after installing the impex thing?
boozec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 20:37   #14
boozec

when I click on the plugin it tells me it doesn't have any configurations implemented.
Old 14th January 2011, 19:59   #15
boozec

bump
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support