Old 27th August 2005, 05:33   #1
benny boi 69 a

ATRAC3/ATRAC3Plus/OMG support?

i really need support for sonys ATRAC codecs, as da only things that will play my music is my mp3 playa and their horrible sonicstage software
please, can you somehow make a plugin that will support atrac3/plus?
benny boi 69 a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2005, 06:01   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Well, people ahve tried to get ATRAC3 support in Winamp, but it just doesn't work. And since Sony really locked down the format, don't expect to see any support for it. Chances of ever seen ATRAC3 plug-in is quite rare. OMG is one of thoes things that should be avoided if possible.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2005, 08:53   #3
benny boi 69 a

oh geez
sony tricked me into changing ALL of my songs into ATRAC3, then it deleted all the mp3s, so now they are useless
well, if sumone does happen to make an ATRAC3 plugin, i will be willing to test it
benny boi 69 a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2006, 22:12   #4
kbroadey

Winamp DOES play ATRAC, but can't read tags

I've succeeded in getting Winamp 5.13 to play my ATRAC3 files by selecting "Options - Preferences...", going to "Plug-ins - Input" and configuring NullSoft DirectShow Decoder v0.97 to handle OMA and OMG extensions. Winamp then uses the codecs installed by SonicStage to play the tracks. However, I have two problems:

The first is that Winamp does not read the genre/atrist/album/track information from the OMA file. Instead it derives them from the from the file and directory names. And because SonicStage stores ripped CDs as "album\nn-trackname" there's no artist of genre information in the Winamp database.

The second is that the ATRAC3 tracks are only listed in the Media Library window when I select "Local Media" in the media type selection pane. When I select "Audio" they aren't listed.

I suspect the two problems are related - the "Audio" media selector seems to be keyed on artist, so tracks without artists don't appear. The problem with this theory is that I still couldn't see the tracks when I edited them to add the artist info in the Winamp database. I could've got it wrong, though!

So has anyone worked out how best to get Winamp to play ATRAC tracks? I've just spent most of the weekend ripping my CDs to ATRAC3 so I can put them on my HD5, so I don't particularly want to repeat the exercise ripping them to something else to play them from my PC (no, no, no, I DON'T want to use SonicStage for this, and I don't want to have MP3s on my HD5 either, so please stay on-topic with your replies!) Is the DirectShow decoder the best thing to use, or is there a well-hidden ATRAC decoder?

Many thanks for your help.
Kevin
kbroadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2006, 23:23   #5
kbroadey

Okay, I can half answer my second question. The reason my OMA files aren't showing up in the "Audio" list (or "SmartView" as I've discovered they're called) is that Winamp thinks they're VIDEO files - they turn up in the "Video" SmartList instead.

I can get them to turn up in "Audio" by right-clicking on it and selecting "Edit View...", then adding "Filename ends with .oma/.omg" conditions. Similarly I can get them out of the "Video" view by adding a couple of conditions.

But the question is - why does Winamp think OMA/OMG files are video? I'm guessing there's a list somewhere of AUDIO filename extensions that OMA/OMG aren't in, and Winamp assumes NOT AUDIO = VIDEO. Anyone know the answer to this?
Old 6th February 2006, 00:38   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

They're listed under Video because all extensions associated with in_dshow are classed as video types. As you said, you've already worked out how to edit the Audio & Video views accordingly, eg.

Audio = (type = 0) OR (filename ends oma) OR (filename ends omg)

Video = (type = 1) AND !(filename ends oma) AND !(filename ends omg)

and that is currently the one & only workaround.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 09:44   #7
kbroadey

Yeah, I realised that after I'd shut down for the night - DirectShow covers a lot of video codecs, so of course Winamp is going to say they're video files. Silly me! Still, at least I've got the audio playing now, that's the main thing. Now, if I could only get the tags extraction to work - or is that something to do with the files being recognised as video too? Is Winamp just not bothering to look?

K
Old 6th February 2006, 12:44   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I don't think in_dshow even reads/recognizes metadata, heh.
Although a potentially painstaking task, what you can do is to edit the library database entries for the atrac files by right clicking them and selecting "Edit Selected Item(s)", and then changing the Artist/Album/Title/etc fields accordingly. This way, you can force Winamp to display whatever you want it to. Note, the metadata won't/can't be written to the actual atrac files, but will be written to Winamp's library database (winamp\plugins\ml\main.dat).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 13:00   #9
kbroadey

That's what I ended up doing :-( Fortunately Winamp's smart import feature made a good job of extracting album name, track number and track title from the ATRAC3 directory/filename so that got the hardest part of the work out of the way. Then it was just a case of going through one album at a time, selecting all the tracks and setting the artist, and genre if I could be bothered.

The lack of full tags import isn't such an issue to me now that I've ripped my entire CD collection :-) I'll only have to do a manual catch-up on new stuff - and I'm buying more and more online these days anyway (allofmp3.com, NOT Sony Connect!)

K
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support