Old 17th February 2001, 03:19   #1
Evan Jones

My tricks for skinning well:

1) Listen to music as you skin. I don't know about you, but it inspires me. After all, you're creating art for a MUSIC player, so why not get with the spirit?

2) Create the basic background for your skin, then run it through an auto-skinner that has nice options (like visualizer settings, font color, etc.) I find QuickSkin to be a high-quality autoskinner, you can find it at http://www.1001winampskins.com/. However, BY NO MEANS use the crappy little pathetic POS skin that it churns out. Your skin needs major tweaking before it is ready for posting IN EVERY FILE. Autoskinners do you two favors: a) creating all the necessary files and b) giving you something to build on, rather than forking you over with the daunting task of building a skin from scratch. This is a great starting ground, but I repeat myself: IT IS ONLY A STARTING GROUND. An autoskinner is NOT a substitute for hours of labor in front of the computer to make a decent skin.

3) You'll notice sometimes "imperfections" in volume/balance/EQ bars when you scroll them up and down to test them. Here's a great way to fix that. In Photoshop, choose the Marquee Tool and go to Options. Choose from the Style Menu, "Fixed Size". Set the Fixed Size until you get the desired size for the scrollbar. You now have a "shoe-sizer" that helps you determine how big a scrollbar can be. You can now move this over a piece of the skin to test it in relation to how big it's supposed to be.

4) Photoshop vs. Photoshop LE - I have both. Each is good in its own respect, except Photoshop LE is better for skinning because you'll be doing a LOT of cutting and pasting, and it's a pain in the butt to have Photoshop create a new layer every time you paste something. Use Photoshop for the final touch-ups, but otherwise, use LE. It's nice stuff, and it's a different program than Photoshop.

-Evan L. Jones
Evan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2001, 05:49   #2
peteleo

I agree with listening to music while skinning is a good idea. But if you want to make a good skin and be proud of your work, (my opinion) you should do it from scratch. I would never use a skinner progie
peteleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2001, 15:00   #3
Riksruin
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Riksruin Send a message via AIM to Riksruin Send a message via Yahoo to Riksruin
yea but i consider all of my skins to be skinned well
Riksruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins