Old 14th October 2001, 04:50   #1
whzerd

One More .CDA and Audio CD Failure

I am trying to get a client's Winamp to play .cda and audio cd's. I have tried all the suggestions by DJegg including removing win.ini and all the registry changes etc to no avail. The only thing I found to be amiss in the registry was that there was an additional entry at the same level as the DefaultIcon and Shell called "Quickview" which I removed.

The machine is a 266MHz Dell with 384MB!! of RAM running Winamp V 2.7.3. The plug-ins are as follows:

Input:
Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder V2.75e
MS Winamp/WMA Plug-In V1.11
Mjuice Secure MP3 Decoder(X86)
Audio Soft AS Plug-In V1.30(X86)
Nullsoft VOC/WAV Plug-In V1.23 (X86)
Nullsoft CD/LineIn Plug-IN V1.71
Nullsoft Module Decoder V2.2.7 (X86)
Winamp 2 MIDI Plug-In V2.51c(X86)

Output:
Nullsoft WaveOut Plug-In V2.3
Nullsoft WMA Output Plug-In V0.90
Nullsoft DiskWriter Plug-In V1.0 (X86)
Nullsoft Direct Sound Plug-In V2.0

The client plays an electric guitar thru the machine and uses Band-In-A-Box for rhythm accompaniment.

Can someone point me in the direction of more things to try - or does this list of Plug-Ins indicate a conflict somewhere??

Thanks in advance
whzerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2001, 05:46   #2
ujay
Forum King

Start at the input end and check through the chain.

What input to the sound card are you using ?
Are all the necessary cables installed internally ?
Is the mixer set up for this input ? is it turned on (not muted) ?
Is the cards output set correctly ?
Do you have the right Input plug-in set in WinAmp ? (CD_Reader.dll is usually recommended now a days) is it configured properly ?

Etc, etc, etc

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2001, 12:05   #3
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
Uh, whzerd, did you try CD-Reader for Winamp yet? I bet DJ Egg already told you to evaluate it, but just in case you did not try it yet ...

CD-Reader is a digital CD-audio reader plugin for Winamp, which is usually a lot better than the default CD-audio plugin that is shipped with Winamp. Download the CD-Reader plugin from the link provided up above and follow the instructions.

If that does not help either, then please post here and include full system specs, such as videocard, soundcard, mainboard brand, type and revision, Windows version, DirectX version, CD-ROM drive brand and type, and so on.

Peace.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2001, 12:20   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by whzerd
I have tried all the suggestions by DJegg including removing win.ini
WIN.INI
I don't think you'll find anywhere on these forums where I recommend anyone to delete c:\windows\win.ini Surely you meant winamp.ini in the winamp dir, yes?

Quickview is irrelevant here.
It's a Windows accessory that allows you to quickly view the contents in a small window, though this is mainly used for .DOC, .TXT, .BMP, .JPG files, etc.

All the plugins you have there are all the default ones.
You don't have any 3rd-party Input or Output plugins whatsoever.
Though you didn't say whether you had any General Purpose or DSP-FX plugins.

You also didn't really explain what the problem was.
"Doesn't work" tells us nothing.
Are there any error messages?
Does the CD load and look as though it's playing, but you can't hear anything?
Is it an autoplay problem, but you can get it to work by selecting "Play -> Audio CD" in the main Winamp menu?

As ujay says, you probably need to install the CDReader plugin.
The default plugin (in_cdda.dll) is analog whereas CDReader supports raw read digital audio extraction. Maybe this particular CD-ROM device only supports digital playback?
Be sure to read the accompanying txt file for details on how to enable it.

Other things to check:

Goto: Winamp Prefs -> Plugins -> Output
The default output plugin is Nullsoft WaveOut.
Try switching to DirectSound output instead.

Waveout uses the soundcard's wave driver.
If this is being used by something else and your soundcard doesn't support multiple audio streams then the fix is to use DS Output which utilizes DirectX software drivers, thus enabling multiple audio playback.

All the other suggestions can be found c/o TSGH -> Useful Links -> Problems with Audio CD section.

Another thing I didn't quite understand was the bit about: The client plays an electric guitar thru the machine and uses Band-In-A-Box for rhythm accompaniment. Huh? What's this got to do with playing Audio CD's in Winamp? Please explain!
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2001, 15:32   #5
whzerd

Thanks for all the responses overnight! Im really impressed with the activity here. DJEgg you are quite right about win.ini - I was typing from memory and when I re-read your earlier suggestions it clearly says winamp.ini and thats in fact what I removed.

The CD Player is the original that was in the Dell four years ago so its not much more than a 4X or 8X - nothing exotic - but it does autostart and winamp comes up but no sound is heard. I copied a track to the hard disk - and still no sound from winamp.

There are a couple of visualization plug-ins but no DSP/Effect or General Purpose ones at all.

I dont have all the specs on boards in the machine - I will visit the client again soon and post the list if some of the newer suggestions dont fix the problem.
Old 15th October 2001, 00:00   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

What do you mean by "I copied a track to the hard drive"?
You can't just copy .CDA files from Audio CD's.
All they are small index pointers, not the actual audio data.
You have to use a ripper (eg. CDex) to convert CD Audio tracks to WAV or MP3

Did you check the volume and other settings, as mentioned above?

Anyway, as suggested earlier,
replace in_cdda.dll with in_cdreader.dll and all should be ok . . . just follow the instructions in the cdreader readme.txt

This will then become the one & only 3rd-party plugin you'll have.
You don't have any others . . . but fear not, CDReader is 100% safe.

Basically, it sounds like there is no audio cable connected from the cd-rom device to the soundcard, which is why the default analog plugin doesn't work, but this will not effect CDReader functionality.
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2001, 01:03   #7
whzerd

Latest Info

I mentioned the electric guitar because in some posts I saw some suspected involvement of various jukeboxes etc so I decided to overspecify what he was doing.

The Video card is an STB Velocity 128 3D AGP (Nvidia Riva 128) and the Sound card is a Creative AWE64 16 Bit Audio Card.

As I said in previous post he is running Win 98 SE with 384 MB RAM - Mainboard unknown as we havent popped the cover yet. Not sure whether he had the audio cable from CD player or not - will check next trip.

He swears up and down his CD used to work with Winamp until he replaced his Modem due to a lightning strike and now it doesnt. It is now a US Robotics 64K internal.

Thanks for the tips and the sarcasm....
Old 15th October 2001, 06:52   #8
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
"Copied a track to hard disk"... as in ripped via a program like RealJukeBox, MusicMatch, CDex, etc.? Or just by copying the CDA file? Of course just copying the CDA file and opening that will make the CD play just as if you had double clicked on it in the CD drive, in your case that would produce no sound.

If you actually copied the song to MP3 and it did not play, then what I think we have here is a blown soundcard, most likely due to the lightning strike. In that case it needs to be replaced.

I hope I don't sound stupid saying this... it's 2:00 in the morning anyway
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support