Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Closed Thread
Old 24th November 2007, 02:41   #41
Ocelot

Addendum: DirectSound Output plugin error

Apparently "clean install" and "full install" shouldn't be considered mutually exclusive items. My WinAmp 5.5 install was indeed "clean," but not full: I didn't install the Sonic ripping/burning component, since I've never used WinAmp for this purpose.

While version 5.3's DirectSound Output plugin wasn't affected by not installing the Sonic component, it appears to be required for correct functioning of DirectSound in 5.5. If the Sonic component is installed, DirectSound operates correctly when playing an audio CD with WinAmp 5.5.

Since this is the case, the programmers may want to make the Sonic component required for the installation and no longer an option.

Purrs --
Old 24th November 2007, 07:29   #42
wesderby

Send a message via Yahoo to wesderby
Re: Format Converter Misbehaving Since Update of in_MP3

Apparently, I waited too long to be able to edit the post...But I wanted to add that I did the clean install and was able to convert a few tracks...Then, when I went to the new update of in_mp3, I got the error message again. That was the only thing that changed in my settings or plugins between conversion attempts.

Quote:
Originally posted by wesderby
Winamp 5.5-Clean Install
Running in_mp3 most recent update
Dell Dimension 3000 PC
Pentium 4, 3.0GHz Processor
512MB Ram (Yeah, I know I should probably Buy More)
Soundblaster Live 24-bit; Integrated Sound
Can't seem to find the info for my video card.

I often use the Format Converter plug-in to convert higher-bitrate MP3s to 128 KBPS so that I can store more of them on my iPod. In the past, this has always worked with no problem. However, ever since I installed the new version of in_mp3 (Update 3), I get the error message "Cannot find Decoder" on every track. This seems odd because as I'm setting up the parameters for the format converter, it's playing one of the tracks just fine. I'm considering doing a reinstall and not updating in_mp3.dll to see if it starts working again, but thought I should bring it up here in case there's a fix, or in case someone else is having the same problem.

The exact error I get for each track is:
Transcoding Fail...
Cannot find decoder
OK
I had this happen once before in Winamp 5.36, but reinstalled it and the problem went away. I've installed no Third-party plugins.

Thanks.
Old 24th November 2007, 12:42   #43
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@ Ocelot

I can't reproduce the problem.

If I disable Sonic by moving primosdk.dll out of the Winamp root folder, Winamp then uses SPTI for Digital Audio Extraction, and Audio CD's play fine.

Please explain what you mean by DirectSound operates correctly/incorrectly/etc.

@ wesderby

I can't reproduce your problem either.
I just used the Format Converter to successfully transcode a 320kbps cbr mp3 and a 265kbps vbr mp3 to 128kbps cbr mp3.

We will need the exact method of reproduction.
eg. A sample file that won't transcode, using such and such exact settings.
Old 24th November 2007, 23:54   #44
Ocelot

Quote:
@ Ocelot

I can't reproduce the problem.

If I disable Sonic by moving primosdk.dll out of the Winamp root folder, Winamp then uses SPTI for Digital Audio Extraction, and Audio CD's play fine.

Please explain what you mean by DirectSound operates correctly/incorrectly/etc.
Egg, please see my full error report earlier in the thread, under the title DirectSound Output plugin error. I describe the error in full with descriptions of the error message produced by the DirectSound Output plugin.

Additionally, I did not initially install the Sonic ripping/burning component for WinAmp 5.5. I made no attempt to disable it, I unchecked the option for it at installation. As I previously stated, this has been my practice for all versions of WinAmp, since I don't use the program for ripping/burning CD's. When I uninstalled WinAmp 5.5 and performed another clean install, this time allowing the Sonic component to install, the DirectSound error wasn't observed.

Thanks for your feedback. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Purrs --
Old 25th November 2007, 02:47   #45
wesderby

Send a message via Yahoo to wesderby
Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
@ wesderby

I can't reproduce your problem either.
I just used the Format Converter to successfully transcode a 320kbps cbr mp3 and a 265kbps vbr mp3 to 128kbps cbr mp3.

We will need the exact method of reproduction.
eg. A sample file that won't transcode, using such and such exact settings. [/B]
kay, here we go...Again, I couldn't make Stashbox show me the edit fields so I could upload a file, so I did a zip file of a few MP3s from Tori Amos and uploaded them to Sendspace. Here's the URL:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/euadv9
Again, it's a zip file with 5 MP3s inside which would not convert under the new update to in_mp3.dll, but converted fine when I reverted to the version that came with Winamp5.5. I haven't changed anything in the configuration for in_mp3 under Preferences>Plugins. However, here are my settings for the Format converter...Settings were the same with original in_mp3.dll file.

BTW, the original files are 160KBPS CBR.
Location to Save to: f:\wes\my music
File Name Format: <AlbumArtist>\<year> <Album>\## <Title>
Frmat to Convert To: MP3
he other settings are CBR, 128KBPS, Stereo. I have the "show this before each convert" checkbox checked, just in case I ever do need to change anything.

I click the "Ok" button, and immediately get the error mentioned in my previous post ("Could Not find Decoder"). I click "OK", and it goes through the rest of the files and gives me the same message. So, if I'm doing these five files, I have to click "OK" five times, then I get to the "Done" button...Not bad on five files, but when I initially discovered the problem, I was trying to convert 40 Alice In Chains tracks, so you can imagine how annoying that was to try and get out of.

Hopefully, this sheds a little more light on the issue.
Old 25th November 2007, 05:21   #46
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@ wesderby

I honestly can't reproduce the problem. I used your sample files and your exact settings, and all the files were successfully transcoded.

Anyone else?

Unless maybe there's been changes to winamp.exe and/or ml_transcode.dll to make the newer in_mp3.dll work in the internal beta builds... although I'm not aware of any such changes.

[EDIT]

Yup, my bad.
Apparently it also requires some fixes that are in winamp.exe (latest internal 5.51 beta)

You can downgrade to the first in_mp3 patch, but that only has fixes for some crash issues with corrupt id3v2 tags, and none of the other fixes from the newer update3 patch...
Old 27th November 2007, 12:49   #47
mnerec

[Bug] Reading meta data for OGG and M4A extremely slow

(Bug) Reading meta data for OGG and M4A extremely slow

Reading meta data for certain file types is VERY slow in v5.5.

When pressing ALT+3 in WinAmp on a OGG or M4A file, it takes quite some time before the window opens. It also affects startup time if there is a OGG or M4A file in the playlist.

Here are some measurements.
( Method: Media Library is closed and only 1 file is in the playlist. Then I close WinAmp and while starting it againg, I keep an eye out for its process in Process Explorer. )

Here are my results:

File size -> IO read bytes -> time taken
----------------------------------------
no file -> 32,194,932 -> 00:02 min
6,766,592 MP3 -> 32,257,571 -> 00:02 min

3,441,219 OGG -> 111,409,655 -> 00:14 min
12,845,387 OGG -> 327,661,396 -> 00:43 min

6,139,649 M4A -> 32,524,274 -> 00:56 min
12,835,068 M4A -> 32,192,756 -> 01:20 min

It somehow takes 311 MB of read IO to start WinAmp with a 12 MB ogg file in the playlist, and while not reading a lot, it takes almost a minute to start up with a M4A in the playlist. Something is not right!

Notice how starting up without a file or starting with an MP3 file in the list, is both instantanious and with low IO.

I have tried placing all files on both local disk and network disk, it makes no difference.

I am using Windows Vista Business and WinAmp v5.5 Final, clean install - NO unofficial plugins installed.

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Known and already fixed in latest 5.51 internal beta. Thanks.

Old 27th November 2007, 17:18   #48
mnerec

Known and already fixed in latest 5.51 internal beta. Thanks.
Shouldn't this be on the list of KNOWN bugs then?
Sadly, I spent quite som time documenting and writing the report

Old 28th November 2007, 18:51   #49
kk88

iPod Shuffle playlist issue

Winamp 5.5 clean
Windows XP SP2

How can I define in which order my iPod Suffle plays songs I´ve transfered using Winamp? Creating playlist in device doesn´t seem to have effect, it plays them alfabeticli by title anyways... Saving playlist and transfering songs in it with iTunes doesn´t mix songs. Winamp seems to transfer songs in alfabetic too...
Old 4th December 2007, 03:30   #50
mzk87

Winamp 5.5 - clean install (with NO 3rd-party plugins)
Winamp Language english
Skin: Bento
Windows OS: Vista Home Prem
System specs Gigabyte GA-7A8DRH / dual opteron 270 / 4gb ecc
Video Card, Nvidia 7950gt
Sound Card Creative X-Fi DM
DirectX 10

when certain songs are played, or every time i use the next/previous track buttons, i get an IE scripting error.

If need be i can send you some files to test this with. like i said it doesnt do it with all tracks...

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
See here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamperror.jpg (125.9 KB, 213 views)
Old 6th December 2007, 03:45   #51
thx1200

Crash when using sync/autofill with ActiveSync plugin

WinAmp 5.5 - No third party plugins, fresh/clean install
Plugin: ActiveSync
Device: HTC Wizard (Cingular 8125) WM5 phone/PPC

Using Dell Dimension desktop, running Windows XP SP2, fully updated:

ActiveSync 4.5

- Sync works.
- Autofill causes WinAmp to crash when the fill starts. Autofill value of "0" (always fill) will cause WinAmp to crash on load and not be able to be used at all until the .ini file is hand configured to use a non-0 value.

Steps to reproduce: Enable auto-fill

Using HP laptop, running Windows Vista 32bit, fully updated:

Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1

- Sync causes WinAmp to immediately crash.
- Autofill causes WinAmp to crash the same as XP.

Steps to reproduce: Press the "Sync" button or enable auto-fill

Notes: LSP registry fix was applied to allow internet pass-through to work. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936858/en-us for details.
Old 10th December 2007, 10:14   #52
szferi

In_mp3.dll causes malfunction when I try to load certan mp3 files to the playlist. currently I'm searching for the reason what type of mp3s make this error, but it's annoying. Other players can play the files, and I'm sure that the files don't contain any crc errors or such...

AppName: winamp.exe AppVer: 5.5.0.1640 ModName: in_mp3.dll
Old 10th December 2007, 15:59   #53
tominosik

Send a message via ICQ to tominosik
Winamp 5.5 - clean full install
Language Pack: english
Plugin: no extra plugins
HW: Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1650Pro

Hi,

I'm having a problem with "Enlarge Playlist" button. After clicking it large playlist only flash for a second and then hide again.

I'm looking forward to know what am I doing wrong...
tominosik@gmail.com
Old 11th December 2007, 20:05   #54
mhanor

I can reproduce this crash in_vorbis+0x17a2:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....58#post2263058

on a 2nd computer (an old IBM Pentium 3 model), XP SP2 with the latest updates, with an ESS Allegro onboard soundcard
the 1st PC is using an onboard Realtek ALC850, and it's socket939 based

just follow the installation steps described by me, then test with one url loaded in the playlist (e.g. http://scfire-chi0l-1.stream.aol.com/stream/1024 )

1. start winamp
2. start playing the stream
3. wait 1-20 seconds (random, just test different waiting times)
4. close winamp
5. if it didn't crash, start again with the 1st step
Old 11th December 2007, 21:10   #55
nenondubois

Midi out has a lot of bugs especially in Directmusic with (output), some instruments are missing when you change individual patches.
Old 13th December 2007, 18:37   #56
pw-man

Playlist file not sent to WM Devices

This was discussed a bit in this forum.

Confirm - Winamp 5.5 Clean Install (no 3rd party plugins) (5.5 was the first version installed on this machine)
No language pack
Skin: Big Bento
Windows XP SP 2
IBM Thinkpad T42p, 2 gig ram, 2.0 Ghz CPU
I can get the video/sound stuff if critical...
in_mp3 update installed for 5.5
DirectX v 9
WM Device - Samsung I730 WM5
Activesync 4.5.0 (Build 5096)

Plugin: pmp_activesync.dll v 0.18

Advanced Settings for the Portable Device:
Music Folder "\Storage Card\My Music"
Video Folder "\Storage Card\My Videos"
Playlist Folder "\Storage Card\Playlist"

Select a Playlist and send to: your WM device.

The files (.mp3's for example) go to the correct locations on the My Music... structure.

However, the .m3u playlist file does not get transferred to the device. (I did a file search looking for .m3u's and was not able to find it anywhere).
Old 15th December 2007, 21:37   #57
Zetmor

ReplayGain with in_mp3 update

Winamp 5.5 - clean install (NO 3rd-party plugins)
No Language Pack (English US)
Windows: Vista Home Premium (32 bits)
System specs: Athlon X2 4800+, 2 GB
Video Card: nVidia 7800 GTX (driver v163.69)
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi (w/ ALchemy driver)
DirectX: 10
Plugin affected: CalculateReplayGain (ml_rg.dll | ReplayGainAnalysis.dll)
in_mp3 update patch for 5.5: installed - and that is the point

-> the send-to "Calculate Replay Gain" doesn't work anymore since I've installed the in_mp3 update. Works again if I reinstall Winamp clean without the update. The bug: it just pops-up the save gain screen in a blink (without reading the mp3), without any value in gains (nothing calculated).
Old 15th December 2007, 22:06   #58
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@Zetmor

Known issue

Either use the earlier patch instead (see above link)

or install 5.51 Public Beta instead, where that issue (plus many others) are fixed
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=282570

5.51 Beta is the version that we're comparing against at the moment...
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports