Old 25th May 2014, 05:08   #1
pirithous

Alternatives to sc_trans

Since development of sc_trans has been discontinued, what are the alternatives to this piece of software? We could never get scheduling working properly with it, and got answers here that it's not possible to make it work right because of bugs. Also, as has been written here before, it's not easy to configure, but for what it is it works great. I am looking for something that runs on either Linux or BSD, and does automatic crossfading when a DJ connects. What is the path forward for stations, considering that software evolves over time and sc_trans is now deprecated and will become even more so as time progresses on?
pirithous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 07:28   #2
jaromanda
Forum King

liquidsoap http://liquidsoap.fm/ - but it doesn't support DNAS v2, not sure if anyone is working on that, the v2 protocol isn't difficult at all to implement, if enough people ask for it, maybe they'll do something about it sooner rather than later.

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 21:17   #3
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirithous View Post
What is the path forward for stations, considering that software evolves over time and sc_trans is now deprecated and will become even more so as time progresses on?
the irony of that comment is the number of people who have freaked out over the sc_trans discontinuation yet still insist on running the v1.x DNAS which was discontinued a few years earlier.

even with liquidsoap you can connect multiple sources to the v2.2.x DNAS as long as its been configured to accept multiple legacy sources and I believe it even can work around the title update issues which that support has with most v1.x based source software (by allowing the metadata updates to be sent separately to the correct port which is the issue that the support has).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 21:15   #4
dopelabs
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dopelabs
liquidsoap is the way to go really.. it has support for calling on external scripts to do whatever.. as does sc_trans.. i havent really noticed any 'problems' with sc_trans.. i thought i had some title update issues but i think that was a misconfiguration of the broadcaster i use... i use sc_trans basically as a transcoder so i can have a fallback option.. i just set my broadcaster to use the dj port on trans and leave it running... then i have perl/ffmpeg scripts running that do the rest.. everything from title update checks (is the shoutcast server displaying the right title for the currently playing content? if not force a title update with the correct info) to playlist generation, to auto archiving of live shows, auto podcast xml generation from a directory of files, auto tweet the current track ,etc, etc... input/output can be anything ffmpeg can support, plus shout-perl/libshout, and all the transcoding in between... its nice but might seem a little overwhelming..

im currently rolling out a liquidsoap box so i can incorporate my current tools and make life easy.....

there is also

http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/airtime/airtimepro
dopelabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2018, 13:47   #5
DoctorD

Alternatives to Sc_Trans for Shoutcast

This thread has not been hit in a long while. I'm hoping that some new apps have been built to provide some basic features of sc_trans. I have been killing off my life trying to get Liquidsoap, Airtime and yes sc_trans to work with Shoutcast. It appears that Airtime and Liquidsoap work very well with Icecast on Ubuntu 12+ but not so well on Centos 6/7. I've only tried sc_trans on Windows Server 2008 and that was a disaster. Now I may be missing something here. But I cannot find an install and setup article anywhere that creates an actual WORKING version with Shoutcast. The manuals available definitely leave out some very important steps for simplicity? I've sort of given up on forums.
Can anyone shed some light on an app that will accept 2 Shoutcast input stream and do auto switchover between the 2 with a crossfade and output a stream in Shoutcast format. According to the Liquidsoap docs this should be a piece of cake! LOL
Any help would be greatly appreciated..............
Best
Joe
DoctorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 05:45   #6
dopelabs
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dopelabs
in fact.. i think they actually have working examples of what your looking for in the code samples on the liquidsoap website..

liquidsoap.info/doc-1.3.3/cookbook.html

the section on transitions might be useful to you
dopelabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > SHOUTcast > SHOUTcast Discussions