Old 25th January 2002, 13:49   #1
face_master

about the .wsz files...

Everybody knows how to compress all of the files of a skin into a zip and then rename to a wsz, but I tried it with WinRar instead of WinZip and it worked fine. Does this mean we can create our own compresion technology to do it instead of using another program like WinZip and it will still work fine? I ask this becuase I was wondering how the people who write those skin making programs compress them without a third-party apps.

Thanks for any responses.
face_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2002, 14:10   #2
PD5.1

Send a message via ICQ to PD5.1
Haven't you made a ZIP file with WinRAR? This means only that WinRAR may make not only RAR archives, but ZIP too. If you had made a RAR file, nothing would have worked.
The people who write skinning programs have just built the compressing algorythm into their apps, so they do not need any third-parties.
But they still use the same compression technology as WinZIP and any other apps that can create ZIP archives.
PD5.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2002, 23:46   #3
face_master

It WAS a .rar file! Anyway...do you know where I could learn about using the WinZip technology in my apps?

Last edited by face_master; 26th January 2002 at 00:15.
face_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2002, 06:53   #4
NRen2k5
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NRen2k5 Send a message via AIM to NRen2k5 Send a message via Yahoo to NRen2k5
Until you register WinRAR, I think the RAR files it makes are really ZIPs. If they were RAR's the compression would be substantially better.
NRen2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2002, 13:29   #5
yehnan

Send a message via AIM to yehnan Send a message via Yahoo to yehnan
Quote:
Originally posted by face_master
It WAS a .rar file! Anyway...do you know where I could learn about using the WinZip technology in my apps?
My experience is different from you.
For example, there is a skin named skin_a.wsz
change to skin_a.zip, umcompress, and then use WinRAR to compress to skin_b.rar, change to skin_b.wsz
skin_b will appear in Skin Browser(Alt-S), but I can't use it.

I thought that winamp doesn't support .rar format.
yehnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2002, 12:30   #6
X-Fixer
Major Dude

Of cousre, WinAmp supports only zip 2.0 compatible archives (that are quite popular). You can use numerous apps to create such archive (the best I've ever seen is 7-zip).

Seems that you have managed to created ZIP archive with WinRAR, regardless of extension (of course, it can create REAL RAR archives before registration). That's not too hard, but meens that you have to be more careful
X-Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2002, 02:04   #7
NRen2k5
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NRen2k5 Send a message via AIM to NRen2k5 Send a message via Yahoo to NRen2k5
… What happens when you try to use a compression other than ZIP with a skin is, you'll be able to see and pick the skin on the menu, but when you do so, it won't affect WinAMP. It'll just make it use the default skin. If you select the file and it actually shows the skin, then it's actually a proper ZIP or WSZ.
NRen2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support