Old 20th May 2013, 14:37   #1
ApologetixFan

Question Winamp displays wrong genre

Ok, so I realize this may not be a Winamp problem, since my music is categorized in the same genres in another music player I have installed. I just thought someone might have an answer, or at least an explanation for what is going on. So, I take all my songs from, say, the 80's and put "80s" in the genre. When I transfer them to my HTC Inspire phone and open Winamp (or the other player) they are categorized as "Folk". What the heck is going on here? Is it my phone, or Winamp. Note that Winamp is my player of choice so I always open it first and let it scan my phone for music. Can anybody explain this? Thanks, ya'll.
ApologetixFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 01:27   #2
JMullins

Genre is determined by the id3 tag. Unfortunately many are already reserved. In your case 80 corresponds to folk. Here is the list. http://eyed3.nicfit.net/plugins/genres_plugin.html
JMullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 01:50   #3
DrO

that's only true for ID3v1.x tags. for ID3v2.x tags it can be anything so '80s' would be allowed irrespective of the ID3v1.x format.

as this seems to be stemming from "another music player" than maybe you're correct in that it's got it's ID3v1.x mappings wrong and so appears correct in it but is thus showing up the issue once transferred to the phone and then seen by WAFA.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 04:04   #4
JMullins

Or it could be he only has v1 tags.
JMullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 13:55   #5
ApologetixFan

I believe you guys are on the mark. I use another program to maintain ID3 tags with album art and all. And it appears that it is writing both v1 and v2 tags. This is borne out in the fact that I have a bunch of songs with "70s" in the genre, and they show up as "Trailer" in WAFA (and the other music player). So, most likely my only two options are to remove the v1 info or change the genre to "Seventies" or "The 70s". Thanks, ya'll.
ApologetixFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:04   #6
DrO

...and to notify the player that is causing the issue so they can fix things.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android

Tags
android, genre