Old 2nd September 2019, 23:15   #41
irajacobs

Ahh, a 6 year old thread, wonderful. Let's see how robust this community is.

I've just done a fresh install of Win10 and WinAmp 5.8 build 3660 with the classic skin, and encountering the same thing. I am accustomed to (on Windows 7) hitting F3 or J to jump to file, and within that list using Alt + Q to enqueue the selected song (instead of playing it right away). Now Alt+Q just gives a windows 'error' beep.

Was I using a 3rd party plugin for this functionality before maybe? Thanks for the help!
irajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 20:41   #42
musicf8
Major Dude

5.8 doesnt include JTFE, you need to first install 5.666 then upgrade to 5.8

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp: (Winamp 5.8) is not an ongoing project get wacup

5.8 beta issue quick fix - Install 5.666 (there's no further 5.8 releases)
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2019, 21:02   #43
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
or just find the jtfe plugin from 5.666 and install just that.

personally tho, i recommend what musicf8 said.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 01:47   #44
paulb104

Send a message via AIM to paulb104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
or just find the jtfe plugin from 5.666 and install just that.

personally tho, i recommend what musicf8 said.
Actually, just downgrading from 5.8 to 5.666 solved the issue, no additional plugin needed.

Thanks!!!!
paulb104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 16:37   #45
Aminifu
Forum King

The needed plug-ins are installed with v5.666. But, as stated elsewhere in this thread, they can be installed separately.

Version 5.8 is not really an upgrade. It is a beta version of the v5.666 upgrade that the new Winamp owners were working on that was leaked to the internet. The new owners then officially released it, since it was already being circulated. Further work on the real upgrade seems to be halted at this time.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2020, 16:40   #46
MrSinatra
Forum King

I prefer 5.8 to 5.666 but both still have issues and bugs that should have been fixed by now.

People could also just use wacup.

I’ll try it out eventually.

--
Old 28th September 2020, 19:08   #47
paulb104

Quote:
I prefer 5.8 to 5.666 but both still have issues and bugs that should have been fixed by now.
I've been using winamp since the 1990's. Starting with windows95 and working my way up to 10. It must be luck then as I've never encountered an issue, and my mp3 collection is currently of 30k songs. It used to be over 65k but a hard drive failure took care of that a few years back. (my oldest mp3 is from 1993, downloaded over usenet at over 200 segments).
Old 28th September 2020, 22:42   #48
MrSinatra
Forum King

i have a talent for finding bugs, and i found the one that still plagues winamp. basically some mp3s have malformed headers or tags or some kind of issue where they are out of standard, and in some cases, just scanning those will completely crash winamp. DrO, Benski, etc all tried to fix it over several versions and unfortunately, those attempts never fully fixed the issue, and so it persists in 5.666 and 5.8, etc. my guess is DrO has since fixed it in wacup, but idk for sure.

typically tho, if you run your files thru mp3tag and mp3val, that fixes almost all the issues that can crash winamp, and if its a vbr, moonbase's vbrfix will usually fix that. i only have 3 or so super stubborn files that my utilities flag as problems but don't seem able to fix; but they don't crash winamp, so no big deal.

my collection is upwards of 80k tracks, most of which are HQ mp3s i ripped myself with EAC. every so often i clone the HD and give it to one friend or another, and that way i have multiple backups in multiple locations. if i already gave them a HD with the collection on it, i can update it with only the changes by using:

https://freefilesync.org/download.php

so its a nice system to help me avoid calamities.

--
Old 28th September 2020, 23:16   #49
paulb104

I strip tags from my files. I've always kept my files as "artist - title.mp3" I started downloading music that I owned because it was easier than swapping cds, or from my vinyl. Nowadays I just convert youtube videos into mp3s by finding the song video with the lyrics. The official videos have more 'stuff' in them than the actual track we would hear from the dvd or on the radio (Katy Perry's Roar comes to mind).

I don't keep all the tracks in my playlist though. Some are just holiday music, others are comedy, and some aren't appropriate for all age audiences. My active daily playlist only has about twenty three hundred tracks.

I've never heard of mp3tag or mp3val. I'll look those up - maybe they'll be useful to me
Old 29th September 2020, 00:21   #50
MrSinatra
Forum King

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=345521

I can’t imagine not having tags. Just for smart views and genres to handle what u describe above, they are indispensable!

--
Old 29th September 2020, 01:11   #51
paulb104

Quote:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=345521I can’t imagine not having tags. Just for smart views and genres to handle what u describe above, they are indispensable!
Way back in the 1990's there wasn't a good tag handler so it was just simpler to strip them all and just use the "artist name - song title.mp3" nomenclature. I haven't seen a reason to change. I simply have a folder with my favorite tunes, with two subfolders within (tv/movie themes and holiday music) and drop that into winamp, sort by file name, and save to a playlist. When I want to listen I just open the playlist. If there's particular songs I want to hear I just queue them up.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support