Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop

Old 7th March 2012, 15:04   #1
adamevans

Dumb question: Will this PC run Milkdrop 2 on my 60" 1080p HDTV?

I was looking at buying this PC:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-620/pd

I'm talking about the base $349 version that has no frills. All this PC is going to do is be permanently attached to my 60" 1080p HDTV for general couch surfing.

HOWEVER... I would really love it if I was capable of using the Milkdrop 2 visualizer on it as well. I already have a laptop with a good graphics card that's capable of running it on my TV, but it'd be nice if the PC I'm going to leave hooked up to the TV permanently could run Milkdrop as well.

The base $349 PC just comes with "Intel HD Graphics," some kind of integrated graphics chip. I've Googled the Milkdrop 2 requirements and tried to read up about the Intel HD Graphics thing, but to no avail.

Can someone smarter than me look at this and tell me whether this PC is capable of running Milkdrop 2 on my HDTV?
adamevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 17:03   #2
Nitorami
Major Dude

I guess you can only try it out. There is definitely no milkdrop specification of compatibility with video cards.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 21:25   #3
51Strong

The tech specs page is confusing.
The most important part
"Video Card

Intel® HD Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 530"

If you go with the Nvidia one you should have no problems at all. If you go with the AMD one you might run into a few presets that wont work well. If you go with the intel one it will suck balls.
51Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 19:26   #4
Riccko

Well ive run md2 on my netbook on a 42 inch screen(with 1080p) and it worked perfectly.

Can't see a 60inch being a problem
Riccko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 20:16   #5
51Strong

The size of the screen has no effect its the resolution and what your videocard can handle.
If you have a dedicated video card preferably a Nvidia card then you should have no problem and could even push the default settings up higher.

From what I have read on this forum those with ATI/AMD have had issues with some of the heavier presets that use Shader 3 so I would stick with Nvidia.

I wouldn't even bother with intel grfx they are quite bad even a 50$ video card will render circles around it.
51Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 03:37   #6
rockouthippie
Banned

^Intel would still work just not as well. I guess it depends on how seriously you take this. Is it worth a bunch of extra money. Milkdrop works even on my 5 year old laptop. It does look better on my desktops nvidia chipset. But ??

Are you gonna use it for video games? If so Intel ain't gonna cut it. Neither will my squeaky laptop. Visualizing some music? It's probably ok. Set for 720p. Your TV will know how to display it. You might want to use 720p anyway. Browsing from the couch at 10 feet gets itsy bitsy at 1080p.

Any nvidia or ati chipset is gonna stomp an intel gpu so go that way if it's the same money.

It's $50 more but you might want to look at this HP instead. It's not a gamer either, but it's not a klunker. Notably it will play webGL casual games where the intel gpu won't. You might want to play some flash or adobe air games once in a while? The 3Ghz dual core Athlon should handle most things if you decided to pop $100 for a video card later. It's likely to be a little noisier and draw twice the power than of Intel. That could be a consideration too. I wouldn't hook my 500 watt desktop to my TV. It's too noisy.

http://amzn.to/R6ojt4
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop