Old 3rd October 2002, 22:10   #1
jhgod

WA3...Give it a Chance

Hi there,
It seems that we WinAmpites can be a crtical bunch. Maybe we're too use to microsoft crapware that we all go nut's when someting comes out and not the best it could be. This is a 3.0 with heavy on the "0". It's been my experience that 0's still need work.
So let's all give WA a break and I do belive they will get it right. Even with all it's worts it's still the best MP3 player AND it's FREE.
Peace Out
Old 4th October 2002, 13:44   #2
Garry

Send a message via ICQ to Garry Send a message via AIM to Garry Send a message via Yahoo to Garry
I think the bitchers and whiners do have a point though. I know it's not Nullsoft's fault (I'll repeat that) I know it's not Nullsoft's fault, but Winamp 3.0 really does still belong to the realms of the betas; however you have to realise that 95% of people using Winamp are not "in the know" about software development - if they see a product that isn't labelled beta, they expect it to work and be stable. In fact, in this case, I believe most of these people expected 3.0 to build on the stability of 2.80.

Of course we know Winamp3 will come good in the end, but in my opinion, if a product is labelled "final" and is as unstable and, in my opinion, feature incomplete as Winamp3 is then these people have every right to moan in this forum - even if it is repetative, annoying and dull.

Any chance of a "Winamp 3 Bitches/Complaints" forum?
Old 4th October 2002, 14:47   #3
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry
Any chance of a "Winamp 3 Bitches/Complaints" forum?
Bitchlist has more than a feew Winamp3 sucks threads. No need for a seperate forum for it .

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 4th October 2002, 15:39   #4
jhgod

Long Live the Whinners!...

If it wasn't for the whinners et al I think software development as a whole would not be where it is right now. If it wasn't for them imagine the state of microsoft's crapware would be at? I also thing that people need to get a better understanding of the whole software process re. alpla, to beta, to final release. And as a rule when it's an "0", as in WinAmp3.0, it's just out of beta, and it's my experience that it's not the best it will wind up to be.
I still maintain that 3.0 does have it's problems which I'm sure will be addressed any time soon.
Keep the faith
Peace Out
Old 4th October 2002, 17:05   #5
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Yeah, I just wish they'd only whine once, as opposed to continuously without searching to see if anyone had whined about that subject before (which, of course, they always have).

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 4th October 2002, 17:44   #6
Electronic Punk

Send a message via ICQ to Electronic Punk Send a message via AIM to Electronic Punk Send a message via Yahoo to Electronic Punk
So it has the odd (:P) bug... if you odn't like it use 2.x
I think it rocks
Old 4th October 2002, 19:14   #7
jhgod

Whinning... The Sequal

There's a big difference between whinning, and having something to say that makes a positive difference.
That's all
Peace Out
Old 5th October 2002, 22:30   #8
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
ya know what? i just got UT2K3, and when i first ran it, i was like, "WOAH!!! this first 'official' release was just as krappy as winamp 3's first 'offical' release!"

after spending a little time tweeking with the game now, its damn near perfect and im fraggin all over the place. same goes for Winamp3. Give it a little tweeking, and it runs great! my friend complain that it takes like 60% CPU power on an athlon 800mhz, and then i get ahold of it, and it drops to around 1-2%. just work with it a little, and itll be fine.

Quote:
i think we covered every possible topic within the first 24 hours. twas hell.
man, that was fun here in the forums... i remember i stayed up ALL NIGHT LONG the first nite WA3 was released. constant emails from soo many people that thought i could fix all of their winamp problems simply becaause i made a component. HA!

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 8th October 2002, 06:01   #9
ShaolinGhost

winamp 3 will generate good ideas for the next version.

My computer is a piece of $h!t. 500mHz processor, some RAM, a less than 10 gig hard drive, and a crappy video card, not to mention Windows98. Winamp 2 runs fine on my computer. Winamp 3 takes longer to do stuff on my computer, but that's ok cause I'm getting a Mac next time. The reasons? Well, for starters, I want all the best music and video software available, (2) somone has been hacking my email account (i suspect); macs are unix-based which allows the user to actually protect themselves from bastardly hackers, and 3, Macs are just better all around except for the fact that 95% of software is written for Windows. Anyway, getting back to my point, Winamp 3 would never run as crappy on a 500 mHz Mac as it does on my stupid Wintel machine. I think it's time people came out with better technology and substances that can handle the awesomeness of Winamp 3.
Old 8th October 2002, 07:48   #10
D&B
Banned

Hey Darkain,
What is your hardware and settings with UT2K3. I bought it the day it came out!

I have an Athlon XP 2000+ and a Geforece 4 TI 4200 128 meg ram version, and I am not happy with its performance. Im off to play it right now!
Old 8th October 2002, 07:53   #11
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
well, since i custom-tweeked the game, its damn near perfect.

athlon t-bird 750mhz, 256mb ram, gf2-mx... and i get around 30-60fps running at 640x480 res.

switch the game from DirectX over to OpenGL, and then get the latest nVidia drivers... as this is what the game was designed for!

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 8th October 2002, 11:00   #12
D&B
Banned

wow, surprised you could get performace like that out of your computer.

OpenGL actually ran worse from me, under both the latest stable and latest beta releases of the Nvidia drivers. Course, I have a totally different card

640 X 480, how can you stand that?
Old 8th October 2002, 17:59   #13
Darkain
Major Dude

i only stand it because i dont have the money for the GF4. and it looks and runs nicer then the old UT at 1024x768. (gotta love that 300 times the poly count)

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 8th October 2002, 18:03   #14
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Veering steadily offtopic:

Athlon 2100+
512Mb RAM
Geforce DDR (original) 32Mb
WinXP

UT2k3 (demo) runs fine at 1024x768, at about 35fps with most of the detail settings on medium/high.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 8th October 2002, 22:59   #15
evil_oj

As Winamp3 takes less than 200 mb of ram and 80% Cpu I'll use it fulltime.

3 I encode my music in Ogg Vorbis
I know enough about music and computers not to like computerized music.
Old 9th October 2002, 05:06   #16
D&B
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkain
i only stand it because i dont have the money for the GF4. and it looks and runs nicer then the old UT at 1024x768. (gotta love that 300 times the poly count)
True, true the cost. Luckily I got my GF4 for free, or else Id still be with my GF2Ultra.
Old 9th October 2002, 12:58   #17
Thorin_nz

Send a message via ICQ to Thorin_nz Send a message via AIM to Thorin_nz Send a message via Yahoo to Thorin_nz
On my AMD Athlon T-Bird 1000mhz 392mb ram
I get 0% cpu usage & when im mucking around in Media Library it goes up to about 6% & playing the intro avs at 192x192 it gets up to 50%.

Also for unreal 2003, I play at 1024*768 on a GeForce4Ti4200 128DDR w/ 500mhz GPU. im not sure what fps i get cos i only have the demo but i presume it 60 because i cant see any shakiness at all..

Also I have made 2 avs packs, I think they are pretty good, (3D Scopes (One of my bedroom in 3D), Complex Dynamoves Etc) but I dont know how to make the install, any ideas ppl?

ALSO: Winamp 3 Rocks!
Old 9th October 2002, 13:57   #18
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorin_nz

Also I have made 2 avs packs, I think they are pretty good, (3D Scopes (One of my bedroom in 3D), Complex Dynamoves Etc) but I dont know how to make the install, any ideas ppl?

ALSO: Winamp 3 Rocks!
NSIS.

http://www.winamp.com/nsdn/nsis/

-=Gonzotek=-

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Old 11th October 2002, 06:42   #19
harryu71

Certainly, it has its problems, but it's NEW! im working on a program of my own and i have had to rewrite the slideshow function in it *4* times, and i am still finding problems. BTW, Winamp almost runs under lindows, but it wont terminate properly and the minimise button doesnt work. But it is cool stuff! try scaling a skin! and the cross-fader is magnifique!!!

Im hooked. So should you be. Just wait, and all will be well!
Old 11th October 2002, 15:16   #20
jhgod

Give it a chance...

Greetings Out There,
The reply's so far seem to be that Winamp3 needs work, but most like it to a point. So that reveals the point that 3 is good but...so be it. I don't know about others but I'm a MP3 player junkie. Anything that comes out I'll try it and you know what I always come back to Winamp. That shows some shit about the product worts and all.
The theme remains give it a chance and it will get better. Be critical but don't whine, piss, and moan, and especially with nothing to say.
Have fun out there, and keep the faith.
Peace Out
Old 11th October 2002, 20:11   #21
suntzu

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry
I think the bitchers and whiners do have a point though. I know it's not Nullsoft's fault (I'll repeat that) I know it's not Nullsoft's fault, but Winamp 3.0 really does still belong to the realms of the betas; however you have to realise that 95% of people using Winamp are not "in the know" about software development - if they see a product that isn't labelled beta, they expect it to work and be stable. In fact, in this case, I believe most of these people expected 3.0 to build on the stability of 2.80.

Of course we know Winamp3 will come good in the end, but in my opinion, if a product is labelled "final" and is as unstable and, in my opinion, feature incomplete as Winamp3 is then these people have every right to moan in this forum - even if it is repetative, annoying and dull.

Well said. I was not aware this wasn't based on Winamp 2.x in some way (until i downloaded it and used it for.. . oh, 10 seconds). I think the thing that pisses me off the most is Nullsoft's 'new and improved' attitude about it. I am aware of how software development works, but i dont download betas because I dont have time to deal with glitchy software. This is clearly a beta, and not half the program that 2.x was as far as stability and reliability. Isn't that what sold people on winamp in the first place? Dont forget why you're in such a popular position in the first place, Nullsoft. I can get flashy crap software that plays mp3 files anywhere.
Old 12th October 2002, 05:22   #22
sanosuke
Major Dude

Heard of AOL?? They were the ones who rushed nullsoft to release their final version of winamp3....i admit that it is still beta but if u actually searched the forums you would have found what u need...if u have time to post, u have time to search.
Old 12th October 2002, 16:24   #23
jhgod

Winamp3 the Saga...

Maybe AOL did have something to do with hurrying the release of Winamp3, or not...whatever. It's NOT a beta release regardless of what it does or doesn't do, or live up to the expectations of the user. I think the biggest thing going is that it's a "0" release as in 3.0. It's almost a rule that an "0" is going to have it's quarks. Ever more so when the product has been radically rewritten...like Winamp3.
I'm glad there has been so many posts about this release. I think it shows that we care very much about just an MP3 player. It will not cause world peace, cure cancer, or male pattern baldness. It will rock the house though.
I wrote before that I'm a MP3 player junkie...many make promises very little deliver like Winamp does.
So in other words folks hang out and wait for 3.x.
Live Long and Prosper.
Peace Out
Old 12th October 2002, 17:29   #24
Ricochet

Send a message via ICQ to Ricochet
I think Winamp3 rocks. And yes, I do miss a lot of stuff wich will come back in later releases. I just think that the people of Nullsoft should use this forum more to tell every one on what they are working on or to give people a 'pre-'release date. That way people will be more patient. Then they can look out for something...

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion