Old 18th November 2014, 23:10   #1
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Video easy-move and 1 click pause/un-pause

Well, just that, a couple of practical tips:

01 Enable the ability to drag the player from the video itself (with HD videos it's easier for it to become the larger part of the screen, so..)

02 Pausing / un-pausing video like MPC, Youtube and web players usually do: with a single click over the video or hitting space bar.

EDIT: clarified 2nd point.
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 04:51   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

1) Use a classic skin, then you'll have a separate/detachable window.

2) Use the on screen display (OSD) controls (enable it in the GP video options). I have no problems with pause, seeking, etc. when watching a video in fullscreen mode.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 13:19   #3
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
1) Use a classic skin, then you'll have a separate/detachable window.

2) Use the on screen display (OSD) controls (enable it in the GP video options). I have no problems with pause, seeking, etc. when watching a video in fullscreen mode.
The word "practical" is the key here.. switching skin is not practical. And I know there are alternatives to playback in general, but it's a bit more practical to have something a lot of video player have..

EDIT : sorry there was some missing words actually important to understand the second point. I missed it when copy - pasting from my wishlist txt.
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 14:58   #4
DrO

just to chip in....

#1 mirrors what a lot of other players are doing. it's purely down to how the video window is embedded into things and how move messages aren't handled which is preventing it from happening with modern skins currently. only thing is that i don't know if it's a simple thing to change or not.

#2 again mirrors at lot of other video players and that's actually a simple one to implement.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2014, 17:37   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
The word "practical" is the key here.. switching skin is not practical. And I know there are alternatives to playback in general, but it's a bit more practical to have something a lot of video player have..
I think the issue here is trying to have 1 'do everything' SUI skin. That just leads to clutter/overload when panels can't be closed, imo. I have np switching among a handful of skins, selecting what best fits the task at hand.

Multiple color themes and window presentations are great, but secondary to an efficient layout, imo.

An option to hide secondary controls until you mouse over them is also a good idea (similar to being able to disable tooltips after you no longer need them), but there should be keyboard shortcuts for all the major controls and for as many secondary controls as 'practical'.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 19th November 2014, 23:40   #6
DrO

que? not quite sure about the first part of response above as it doesn't seem to match up with what the requests would involve.

as on the UI side there wouldn't be any additions to things, it's purely an interaction change. it's only in the preferences page that a UI change would appear.
Old 20th November 2014, 16:41   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

I was still thinking about another thread (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=379706) when I submitted post #5 above.

I'm not objecting to Victhor's ideas. I've also stated a desire to have the video panel be detachable in SUI skins. As for pause/unpause, it is always good to have multiple ways to do things when possible.

Sometimes the reason given for not doing something different with Winamp is that an alternative (method or plug-in) exists. I was just stating the alternatives that already exist (which Victhor already knows about, but maybe others don't).

It also doesn't bother me very much that Winamp doesn't do some things the same way other apps do.

If playing 'copycat' makes Winamp easier to use, then doing so may have some merit.

Old 20th November 2014, 17:09   #8
DrO

i'm not sure it's necessarily playing copycat as i'm sure such things have cropped up before other players added them. but it's more about what little things can be done which will make things a) more intuitive against what people now expect and b) what will make the Winamp experience that little bit better / consistent.
Old 20th November 2014, 17:27   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

I'm all for (b), but (a) sounds a little like following the current market leader (who sets the expectations) which may not be a good idea. Today's leader can be tomorrow's has been, with people being as fickle as they are.

Something new or new 'looking' should be done under the hood and on the surface, but I know it is already a big job just replacing the AOL sponsored stuff.

Old 20th November 2014, 17:32   #10
DrO

well (a) would actually be providing functionality which was always present in classic skins and ideally should be available in modern skins as well for consistency between them. so that's why that request is not a copycat move, though it does fit in with your "tomorrow's has been" comment
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

Tags
easy-move, pause, un-pause, video