Old 13th January 2016, 10:32   #1
JRE99

Need Big Bento or Modern Skin in XXXL size

Dear all,
Searching the Forum I had no success. Did try some supposed 'large' skins on my High-res (Full HD & Higher) screen. But either the skin did not work or was simply not 'larger' as the Winamp standard Skin (even smaller as the Bento Large skin).

Is there a simple Bento Large or Modern look alike skin available in XXXL size (with clear & understandable Install instructions); that will actually be readable on a high res monitor or can somebody create such a skin?

Still Winamp is my favorite Audio player, due that it is that easy to use. Just a shame it's getting unreadable now.
Regards,
JRE
JRE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 12:03   #2
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Have you tried mine? (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=388090). It's created precisely with that intention.It can be bigger - I'm thinking about it -, but it is quite bigger than most skins..
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 12:41   #3
JRE99

Thanks, Victhor.
Just figured out what I did wrong. Have it working now.
Definitively better reading :-) You did an great job with this skin; both thumps up!

Just I would like to have my skin as simple as possible, hence my liking of the Bento or Modern skin. It's just use it for loading a folder & play music (sometimes random).
It's the simplicity of use & screen what i like most & my laptop has no touchscreen (really do not like that on a laptop or PC; of course fine on the tablet).

Any suggestions are of course welcome.
Cheers, JRE
JRE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 17:03   #4
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Well, the skin has a double use, it is meant for touchscreen but in the way it serves its purpouse for those wanting bigger buttons / texts.
The issue is not entirely Winamp's fault. When I recently bought an HP laptop, I discovered the origin of the issue: Newer displays aren't necessarily bigger, but manufacturers are using bigger resolutions, which ends up making the pixels smaller. We end up with a 17" screen -which was meant to work with 1024x768 (or so)- having twice that resolution or more.
Even Windows fonts and buttons get incredibly small and users need to recur to alternate solutions (I even had to use a 3rd party app to avoid blurriness when using native 125% size increase).

Winamp could implement some sort of proportional design (avoiding that-ultra-ugly 100%+ scaling which is not really a solution for me..), but the amount of work needed leaves us veeeery far from that point...

SO, there might be a possible - temporary solution with a skin with HUGE (or scalable) text and buttons... I'm thinking about it..
Old 15th January 2016, 22:05   #5
ariszlo

1010 Fullscreen comes close but it has not been updated for a while. It does not support embedded album art and wants you to install the Modern Skin Plus Packet, which is again outdated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1010-fullscreen.png
Views:	1983
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	52202  

Latest and greatest modern skins: Big Bento Modern v1.13 & Quinto Black CT v3.1
ariszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 11:46   #6
ariszlo

I have neither the knowledge, nor the time to acquire the knowledge to create a new Winamp skin from scratch but here is a mockup I made with GIMP using icons from the 3d Transparent Glass Icons Alphanumeric, Media and Symbols Shapes icon sets.

In addition to the icons visible in the screenshot, there should only be one more icon, no more: a main menu icon in the top left corner of the window.

For ease of use, it would be a sui skin with tabs as in web browsers. E.g. if you open the media library from the main menu, you will have two tabs, one for the player and one for the media library. And it could be set whether open tabs should be remembered after quitting Winamp or not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	huge-glassy-winamp-skin-mockup.png
Views:	2752
Size:	438.0 KB
ID:	52205  

Last edited by ariszlo; 16th January 2016 at 13:30.
Old 16th January 2016, 17:44   #7
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariszlo View Post
1010 Fullscreen comes close but it has not been updated for a while. It does not support embedded album art and wants you to install the Modern Skin Plus Packet, which is again outdated.
That's a good one too, besides the too-old-fashioned look, the skin coding is a beast.
Too bad is a bit buggy on last Winamp versions and it only works on some sort of "Fullscreen mode", which has some very annoying limitations (Autodetect an Viewport won't go beyond 1600px, and you can't drag nor resize it to accomodate it).
I may get around some day to fix it, is not hard..
Old 16th January 2016, 21:44   #8
ariszlo

Thinking again, I no longer believe that a skin like 1010 would be the best option for those who would like to use a skin with large letters and big buttons because 1010 tiles its windows. The more windows you tile, the smaller they get with either smaller letters or less room for text with the same font size.

Now I think that a large-font skin should start with a single active window and open new windows in tabs. Actually, even 1010 does something similar to tabbing in its bottom windows where you can switch between video and avs in the bottom left window or between cover art (which does not work) and equalizer in the bottom right window. But unfortunately, it also tiles its windows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tabbed-player.png
Views:	567
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	52206  

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins

Tags
high res, large, skin