Old 11th August 2010, 12:15   #1
LIFE Radio

NEED REPLACEMENT FOR DSP Plugin

I work for a radio station in NB Canada and to handle our radio stream, we've been using Winamp and the SHoutCast DSP 1.9 plugin. I'm sure many of you know the issues with that setup already, as I've read multiple multiple multiple posts on here for the same problem we are having (dating back 2002) but none of the suggestions have worked.

We've been experiencing random freeze ups with the Winamp/DSP which in-turn takes our Internet stream down. I know that its an issue with the internet connection we have and the sensitivity of the Winamp/DSP but unfortunatly we have no other ISP available for our location. I've spoked multiple times with our internet provider but no matter what they do, its still the same issue. I've setup a silence detector to notify me when it goes out, but its getting rediculous and for the life of me, i CAN NOT FIND a replacement to use, that will work on WindowsXP and that will allow us to stream our LIVE audio from the soundboard. We're running WinXP Pro on 2 computers. One computer is broadcasting live to our local area, connected to a soundboard, which is connected to our "internet stream" computer.

Can ANYONE suggest to me ANY OTHER program/plugin that I could trym, that will push out the live audio? Or is there a way to go in and change the WInamp/DSP config so that its not soo sensitive to a hiccupp in our internet connection?

Thanks to all in advance and forgive me if this answer is somewhere on here already, I've been looking for a few days but can't find.
LIFE Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 12:16   #2
fc*uk

I would suggest using the sc_trans2 betas.

edit: and here is a link to download: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=317229
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 13:55   #3
bored_womble
Winamp's Womble

This method may resolve the situation as it has for others with similar problems.

You need to set up a Shoutcast locally on the same PC/Server that your Winamp DSP runs on. Reconfigure Winamp to feed your local Shoutcast server then configure your remote Shoutcast server to relay your local one. I am assuming you do not host a Shoutcast locally, from your post.

A quick diagram

Winamp -> Shoutcast <---Remote Shoutcast Relay Local Shoutcast

You will more than likely need to do some port forwarding on your local router/firewall so that the remote Shoutcast can relay, but then your Winamp should not freeze due to network issues as it does not actually transmit beyond the local interface. If you do have DSL issues then the remote Shoutcast will drop the connection and reconnect when possible.

BW

Without open minds the world will die. Open yours and correct the mistakes you are making right now.
bored_womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 14:18   #4
dotme

Other encoders (for SC 1.9.x) you can try include Edcast (free) and SpacialAudio's Winamp DSP Plugin (free trial)

http://www.oddsock.org/tools/edcast/

http://www.spacialaudio.com/?page=winamp-plugins

Note, as mentioned above, that if your Internet connection is flakey, different encoders may not lock up but you'll still have issues. BW's suggestion of relaying from a local DNAS definitely helps smooth minor bumps.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 10:42   #5
LIFE Radio

sweet, thanks alot for the suggestions! This has really turned into a crazy torment!
I've tried that SAM Encoder as a quick fix, I'll see how that works out over the day or 2
but will definitly be taking BW up on his advice, that sounds like that would prb be a better solution.

THx again, you guys really have no idea how much I appreciate it!

peace!
LR
LIFE Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 15:15   #6
Greg_E
Major Dude

Spacial Audio Simplecast Encoder, Orban Opticodec encoder depending on your flavor of compression.

Internet glitches will still cause the stream to drop but these encoders have always connected immediately after the server is back.

Your mileage may vary!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 16:30   #7
mathx

Greg_: what's the spacial simplecast and orban? these are two encoders?

Life: whats the SAM encoder? did it work?
mathx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 15:03   #8
Jkey
Forum King

For those with experience

Is this kind of freeze caused by the connection timing out,and the dsp
seems to not be able to handle this kind of situation ?

I don't use the dsp on a daily basis,so I have never experienced one of
these lock ups before.

Any information to add to my knowledge base would be useful.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
Jkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Tags
dsp, radio, stream output, winamp