Old 7th April 2012, 04:34   #1
theking

2 host providers 1 station

Hi guys
I currently broadcast using shoutcast dnas and Winamp on a windows server. I pay around $5USD per month for 24bits & 15 slots.

The uptime and customer service is excellent but I think its time to upgrade.

I want to try another server for a month or so to try them out using output 2 in Winamp and with different bit rates. Is this possible? From what I know they both require shoutcast DNAS

Please help
theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 22:54   #2
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by theking View Post
I want to try another server for a month or so to try them out using output 2 in Winamp and with different bit rates. Is this possible? From what I know they both require shoutcast DNAS
you'd just need to run another DNAS server (or if running a v2 DNAS on the first host you could just use that to provide the second stream since it supports multiple inputs) and just setup the second stream's details in the Source DSP as appropriate. either way, you need a DNAS to provide the second stream.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 23:24   #3
theking

Hi dro
Thanks for the reply. How can I open 2 instances of dnas on the same machine?

I will see if I can upgrade to v2
Any setup instructions would be appreciated
Old 9th April 2012, 04:55   #4
theking

Btw just an update.

I upgraded to DNAS V2 and OMG it was error after error after error. I think its because im using Vista and have permission problems with unable to load serv log or could not find the source etc.. I even tried installing the new V2 on a different hard drive and location to make sure ive got permission to that folder but still got the same results.

Is there another way to use the 2nd encoder with the current 1.9.8 DNAS? The transcoder im using now is the latest 2.2.3
Old 9th April 2012, 10:22   #5
DrO

what errors exactly? though you should have been able to just re-use the existing config file from the v1 DNAS you were using after making sure the v1 DNAS was stopped or by changing the portbase in the v2 DNAS install to not collide with the v1 DNAS.

-daz
Old 9th April 2012, 10:43   #6
theking

I can't remember to be honest one of them was something along the lines of "panic unable to load serv_log and when I gave the folder admin permission it changed to panic unable to locate source? I searched for errors on here and there was no confirmed solution.

Is there anyway that I can just by pass this shout cast thing and put the ip address of the server in the transcoder plugin and connect that way?
Old 9th April 2012, 10:47   #7
DrO

the second error doesn't make any sense with what is reported - if it had the actual log file then that would make it easier to work out but i get the feeling you're really not wanting to go down that route.

Quote:
Is there anyway that I can just by pass this shout cast thing and put the ip address of the server in the transcoder plugin and connect that way?
you just enter the server details in the Source DSP as needed like you've already done for output #1 as i had said in my earlier posts, i just thought it would be easier if possible to use a v2 DNAS so everything is all on the same DNAS and so becomes easier to manage over having to work between 2 separate instances - as it's your streams it is down to you how you want to do it.

-daz
Old 9th April 2012, 10:59   #8
theking

Hey daz but I think some hosts don't support this for example this new host I'm trying to sign up with they gave me a 10 day trail but it will not connect and when I asked them they said I have to use dnas and to contact shoutcast for support

My current host is the same thing I can not connect unless it's through dnas I asked tem and they said I have to connect trough dnas but long time ago I am sure I tried another host and it was a direct connection I just put the ip in transcoder along with username password & port and bang it connected but the company closed down 2 months after lol
Old 9th April 2012, 11:13   #9
DrO

ofcourse you need to have a DNAS present for the source to be able to connect be it one that is already installed for you or one that you have to install yourself. without a DNAS, you will never have a working stream as that is what is needed to handle the source and client connections.

based on the above post i'm going to have to assume you're working with a host that requires _you_ to install and setup everything rather than a dedicated SHOUTcast hosting solution.

i think you need to clarify what your setup actually is since the intial posts implied a dedicated SHOUTcast host which now doesn't appear to be the case.

-daz
Old 9th April 2012, 13:43   #10
theking

All I know is that I pay a fee for number of listeners on 24 bit and I want to upgrade that to 32 or 64 with more listeners.

What I do is login through thier admin panel put my static ip and configure the Winamp plugin and the dnas with the details they provide me with and I connect . But trust me last time all I had to do was put thier ip in the transcoder instead of "local host" along with the username & password they provided and it connected without the dnas and they said the shoutcast dnas is very old method and most new providers don't require it so I had dnas working on output 1 and the new company without touching dnas on output2.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Tags
dnas, host, shoutcast, winamp