Old 5th June 2019, 10:42   #1
CodeLurker

Winamp 5.8 output is apparently heavily compressed

I first noticed this on John Petrucci's "Damage Control," at 3:00 - 3:45 in, where it changes from the slower, more stately part to a faster BPM part, separated by a set of two chords, then silence, repeated twice. At this point in the song, the volume gets momentarily MUCH louder, after the brief silences. This is wrong.

I'm using Winamp 5.8. I have no DSP/Effect plugins active in Preferences. My output plugin is NullSoft DirectSound Output v2.70. This happens with the Equalizer off, and Use Limiter deselected. Use Replay Gain is deselected. This does not happen in Winamp 5.666. You should not apply compression to all output signals without the option to disable it. It reduces dynamic range (in this case, greatly), and introduces "pumping" artifacts. Many pro producers and mixers decry the overuse of compression; although just what constitutes overuse is subjective. Listening back to the song as a whole, I hear frequent pumping artifacts. At this point, there should be NO compression, and to have ANY is wrong. Period. This from a garage band wannabe of some decades, who has more or less read widely on such subjects.

I regret that my first post on 5.8 is a real stopper of a problem. I am encouraged that Radiometry has finally released an update, after keeping it dead in the water for many, many years. I salute your (long overdue) efforts to update it.

The post announcing the 5.8 official release implied that upcoming Winamp will only be out for portable devices. This seems unfortunate, as if your desire is to become a premier music player on all platforms, not challenging dominant, entrenched players on desktops is a mistake. Winamp STILL has a lot of devoted followers, after all this time. The Desktop version is still pretty good. If you want to become an important music player on portable devices, I think that enforcing continuing obsolescence of the once most popular and still very popular music player for the sake of mobile devices is asking users to say: "Here, I'm ruining the desktop version, but you want me on your mobile device!" Better, IMHO, to say, we can find at least a little love for the desktop version, so as to be able to support portable platforms, and have something better than a bad excuse for desktops; because, let's face it, desktops are still a platform that matters. If you want to become a popular multi-platform app, even a little love and effort for the desktop version would keep it from being a gaping hole in your multi-platform; and keep a large community of offended and abused users from becoming a liability, when, with at least a little continuing effort, they could be an asset. If it were e.g. open sourced, community programmers could submit their own commits, thereby decreasing costs of maintaining it, or at least getting more bang for your development buck.

Some really basic modernizations are lacking, such as dragging and dropping into a playlist, or being able to edit the Replay Gain setting in Edit Metadata. And again, 5.8 is unusable as it is, due to a HUGE amount of compression on the output, that should not be there.
CodeLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 23:59   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
What file format?

Where is ur info report?

Maybe 5.8 does this, maybe not, but this is one anecdotal report, what is necessary is for someone else to be able to reproduce it, and be able to do so using some kind of known good test files, like the way a TV uses a test pattern.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 20:33   #3
mattdm11

I do a lot of volume leveling of my digital music, and I have been wondering why almost no matter how loud the songs are, there is never any clipping. This would explain it. I kept thinking a computer setting changed, but based on my experience with the program, I think I agree.
mattdm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 21:26   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

RG also uses peak level tags to prevent clipping.

I'm still skeptical 5.8 does this.

--
Old 25th June 2019, 04:35   #5
CodeLurker

This occurred playing a FLAC that I ripped from a CD using Audacity.

It's easy enough to play back audio with a .WAV that has really loud material with short bits of silence in them.

mattdm11 could use to report if he has Replay Gain or any other audio plugins enabled.

Interesting. I just tried it with a .WAV file, and it didn't do it! I tried it with an AAC, and it did. Curiouser and curiouser.

Anyway, it's easy enough to winge about proper bug reports, and it's easy enough to test, if you want it actually find out.

BTW: Drag & Drop is working for me in the Playlist, just as long as I get far enough in the window. Unlike some others, I warmly receive the update to what some still consider the best media player out there; and making the Pro features free. It seems to me that it doesn't need much to be great on desktops again; but it does need some love from time to time.

Radiometry is not just the owner of a piece of software, but also the gatekeeper on updates for software that is still widely used and loved; and attempts to block this gate completely will generate ill-will from frustrated users. It just works that way. Whether you or I feel likewise doesn't really change it.
CodeLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 12:41   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

There's no point in conflating issues in this thread. I will stick to the stated thread topic.

I have not experienced the issue u describe. Ergo the onus is on you to provide the data that lets one reproduce and confirm the issue. And even in that case, the data or prefs config of ur setup, might be to blame and ergo unique to you.

I am not saying categorically there is no problem, I am simply stating there is no reproduction of the issue demonstrated and proven as of yet, so I am asking for your help to prove u correct... will u do so?

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion