Old 3rd April 2018, 15:04   #1
broncozr

Daily Maintenance & Reliability of Shoutcast

We stream a radio show from a Windows desktop, and we're looking for a reliable backup when our primary Content Delivery Network (CDN) is down or overcome by traffic.

How much technical savvy is required on the front end and on a day-to-day basis? I think we could handle a steep learning curve on the front end, but we're hoping for something that pretty much runs on its own after that.

How much maintenance is required on a daily basis? Has the software evolved enough that it doesn't need frequent reboots, etc.?

TIA
broncozr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 04:35   #2
neralex
Major Dude

How are you using SHOUTcast - via Streaming-Service or do you running an own server? If you are running an server, is the server installed on your local windows desktop or on an remote computer?
neralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2018, 17:09   #3
broncozr

We don't currently run Shoutcast. It would run on a Windows machine, but I don't know enough to know whether we would run it locally or on the Streaming Service. I do website stuff for the show, and I could probably do most of the front-end setup/installation. However, other people would do the day-to-day maintenance (e.g. rebooting, troubleshooting, etc.), and given the existing fire drills that happen on a normal day in a studio, they probably wouldn't have time to do a lot of upkeep on the Shoutcast stream.

We already have a CDN/app provider (Mainstream Networks), and we're exploring possibilities for a backup stream. Really just feeling out whether a Shoutcast stream would run on its own without much attention. Thanks for any information.
broncozr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2018, 12:04   #4
neralex
Major Dude

I can only speak for me and I would setup or rent an dedicated linux server, where you are able to install applications like SHOUTcast server (DNAS) with a playlist-management software like Liquidsoap. In this case you would have an remote server, which provides an own audio streaming server. So you are able to stream from your local computer to this server, which can provide an audio-stream.

If you would also install an playlist-management like Liquidsoap, then you can provide an 24/7 stream with different bitrates etc and your "livestream" from your local computer would be played "on-top" of the 24/7 like a replacement. If you are disconnecting, then the 24/7 playlist will start directly and you would have your "fallback" stream. But for both you need someone who knows to work with linux and you need someone who is able to work with scripting languages because Liquidsoap is based on this.

With a setup like this you would have evertime the full control and you are not dependent on a streaming service.
neralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support