Old 4th July 2002, 06:05   #1
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
VU Meter

i got bored tonite, and made a really simple VU Meter.

here it is.
Attached Files
File Type: zip vu_meter.zip (65.6 KB, 318 views)

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 5th July 2002, 06:48   #2
Darkain
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Darkain Send a message via AIM to Darkain Send a message via Yahoo to Darkain
i made a lil update to the thing today, just cause i got bored again. and then i desided that i didnt like it being in that big clunky window all by itself, so i put it inside of the thinger window.

http://www.8op.com/darkain/VUMeter.html

thats the screen shot. what do ya guys think?

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
-=- RM-X Home Page - Controlling Winamp via RM-900, RM-1000, RM-1500, ATI Remote Wonder, Joysticks, Gamepads, Wheels, Keyboard shortcuts, Multimedia keyboards, across the net, and much more! -=- Defenestration !!! -=-
Old 5th July 2002, 17:32   #3
dead_honky

maybe instead of forcing it into the thinger or its own window, you could make it a skinnable gui object?

that way colors, size, and what window to drop it in could be decided on a per skin basis. making components like that (progress bars, VUs, vertical sliders, radial knobs) lets the skinners make better skins easier.

good job.
Old 5th July 2002, 18:42   #4
Darkain
Major Dude

it already is a skinable object. this is how i added it to the thinger.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 5th July 2002, 18:51   #5
dead_honky

Sorry, I meant as a XUI object.
or is it already? whats the tag?
Old 5th July 2002, 22:24   #6
Darkain
Major Dude

i was gonna add support for that later tonite or maybe tomorrow to make it easier. and possibly add some extra stuff for chaning of the colours and what not..

ill keep ya all posted

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 5th July 2002, 23:49   #7
Darkain
Major Dude

ok, i found some problems with the drawing code that i fixed up. for some reason, all of a sudden today, the drawing was totally messed up! its all taken care of now tho. attached is the latest copy that i just compiled like 5 sec ago. also included in the ZIP file are 2 XML files. one is for the XUI Object stuff, the other is my moded thinger.

here is the code to add the VU Meter anywhere into a skin:
Quote:
<VUMeter.Window
id="VUMeter"
x="5" y="52"
w="-10" relatw="1" h="43"
/>
this is jsut a quick copy/paste i did from my thinger.xml, so i know it works.

any thoughts on this update?
Attached Files
File Type: zip vu meter.zip (67.7 KB, 193 views)

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 6th July 2002, 06:58   #8
Darkain
Major Dude

http://www.8op.com/darkain/VUMeter.html

there.. i now added an spectrum thingy to it too. just click on the window to change modes. i also made it into an NSIS intaller package. the thinger.xml file isnt included tho.

i plan on making it a bit more colourful in the near future. simple white bars are kinda anoying...

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 6th July 2002, 14:26   #9
JBDude

Send a message via AIM to JBDude
will it work with RC2 b479??
Old 6th July 2002, 14:28   #10
JBDude

and another thing ...how ya get the bloody thing to work ??..thanks in advance
Old 6th July 2002, 14:35   #11
JBDude

thinger.xml

All I get is a error message saying that thinger.xml doesn't appear to have a vaild description block ... what's all that about ??
Old 6th July 2002, 17:56   #12
Darkain
Major Dude

to get it to work, allz ya gotta do is this:

1) download the copy on my web site
2) run the installer
3) itll then work

now, to add support for it being in the thinger of the default skin:

1) go into your skins directory.
2) rename default.wal to default.zip
3) extract the contects of the zip file.
4) delete that zip file (to make sure there isnt any conflictions)
5) download the ZIP file in my previous reply on this tread
6) inside that zip file is a new thinger.xml, simple replace the one in the Skins\Default\xml directory with the one in the ZIP file, and you are good to go!

As for it being able to run on RC2, well, lets put it this way.. it was coded with the RC2 SDK, and only tested on RC2. is this a good enuf answer?

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 7th July 2002, 12:11   #13
JBDude

VU Meter

thanks for the help ...
I got it working right after my "how do ya get the bloody thing to work" post ...but thanks anyway

After I got it working I stared at it for 2 hours It looks really cool even tho it's only 2 white bars like ya said

Are you planning a version with rainbow colors like the VU in the main window ?? ..that would rock
Old 7th July 2002, 16:31   #14
Darkain
Major Dude

well.. just so you know, the Spectrum AnalyzARRR part of it already does! I just havnt released it yet. And the VU Meter side, well.. I was going to add that code in probably today or tomorrow and then get it released.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 10th July 2002, 05:56   #15
Darkain
Major Dude

i added some colours to the spectrum analyzARRR. its now all nice n blue. next, i added 3 different styles for it, normal, fire, and lines. now its just like the normal spectrum for WA2/3! im gonna add more stuff to it, such as that list of pre-set colours in the right/click menu, and then also add all of that stuff to the main VU Meter as well.

but for now, the currently available thing (v0.4 beta) is downloadable and the link provided above.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 18th July 2002, 09:20   #16
migmigmig
Hot Green Mustard Evangelist

Send a message via ICQ to migmigmig Send a message via AIM to migmigmig
From examplevisdatawnd.cpp:
code:

// and then calc the colors.
int green = (leftVUdata < 128) ? 255 : 255 - ((leftVUdata-128) * 2);
int red = (leftVUdata < 128) ? 255 - ((leftVUdata) * 2) : 255;
// and then we blit a rect.
canvas->fillRect(&leftvu, RGB(red, green, 0x00));

Nice pretty green->yellow->red fadethru algo.

mig
"I like the purdy colors."
Old 18th July 2002, 15:11   #17
Darkain
Major Dude

thanx for pointing out that example, mig! if i would just open my eyes more often and look.. that example answered a bunch of other questions i had about different painting and vis data things.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 20th July 2002, 02:41   #18
migmigmig
Hot Green Mustard Evangelist

Send a message via ICQ to migmigmig Send a message via AIM to migmigmig
Yah, see, I make example code. You like example code?

Example code GOOD.

Read file name "START_HERE.txt" in Examples folder.

Tell you EVERYTHING, bay bay.

mig
"Gutteral By Default"
Old 20th July 2002, 02:44   #19
Darkain
Major Dude

well, i tried that code out, and uploaded a new VU Meter not too long ago. iz available on mah site! as always, link in sig.

ive been expanding the lil ol VU Meter all day long with all sorts of nifty things. (too bad most of them are still disabled for your use,,, MWA HA HAAA!!)

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 20th July 2002, 05:02   #20
JBDude

well ya know Darkain ...

It would be nice if I could download from your site

and it seems to me that it might be a freeservers problem since I know of 4 or 5 other people (friend's of mine) that are hosted by freeservers and I have the same problem with downloading from all of them

Sorry for the bad news dood
Old 20th July 2002, 06:08   #21
Darkain
Major Dude

hey, iz ok. freeservers is only temporary until my main web host is back online

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 20th July 2002, 20:28   #22
JBDude

ok ..

so when will ya main host get back online ??

keep up the good coding
Old 21st July 2002, 00:09   #23
Darkain
Major Dude

HA!!! i have no clue. they may not go back online. i havnt heard anything from them at all.

i have another web host that i have been working with for several years tho.. the guy running it is working on merging it with a faster server that has more HD space and what not. once that merge is completed, i was going to move the site to the new server anywas (and possibly get a domain while i was at it)

the merger may not be for another month or two tho, and in 2 weeks, im going to be gone for 2 weeks (as mentioned in my sig)... so, for at LEAST the next month, things are going to be krappy. sorry peeps!

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 21st July 2002, 02:24   #24
Orkybash

Hey, I noticed one problem with VU Meter: if it's installed at all (it doesn't even have to be showing), Winamp won't move to the front if it gains focus (like, if I have it covered up by a program, then I click on Winamp in the taskbar, it should pop in front, but it doesn't). I'm using Windows 98se, WA3 RC2, and the latest build of the plugin (whatever that is). Other than that it works great.
Old 21st July 2002, 02:25   #25
Darkain
Major Dude

latest VU Meter was designed for build 482, NOT RC2. this is source of the problems.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 23rd July 2002, 04:46   #26
Darkain
Major Dude

hell, i been soo damn busy, i think i forgot to mention that there is a new VU Meter out today! it will now take in XML paramaters to set up all the default options within it. i am working on more params rite now, but you can play around with what exists currently, if you like. a listing of everything is on the main VU Meter web page.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 23rd July 2002, 10:31   #27
dougieha

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkain
hell, i been soo damn busy, i think i forgot to mention that there is a new VU Meter out today! it will now take in XML paramaters to set up all the default options within it. i am working on more params rite now, but you can play around with what exists currently, if you like. a listing of everything is on the main VU Meter web page.
Maybe I'm dense...but how do you get the prefs to take for the default window? I put them into the tag in base.xml and it didn't seem to work.

Also...the flame preference doesn't do anything different than black and white for me. And the menu is kind of buggy...it doesn't like to open the current vis mode's options on hover or click until you go to a different mode's options, open that submenu and then go back...then the submenu for the current vis mode can open.

Other than those bugs (oh, yeah, and the peaks options don't do anything...), I like it!

Keep up the good work.

Dougieha

My skins: Sony MPFX3-WA5 (Just for WA 5.x!!) and Sony MPFX3.
Old 23rd July 2002, 16:23   #28
Darkain
Major Dude

ok, heres ans answers (as discussed several times already within the IRC chat)

1) it isnt finished yet
2) i havnt made the flame colour presets yet
3) base.xml is NOT for creating the default widow. params dont work here.
4) base.xml is a definition file for using VU Meter in other windows
5) peaks arent programmed in yet. maybe today or tomorrow i will add

does this clear things up a bit? ill try to get everything else finished up by the end of the week hopefully.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 23rd July 2002, 19:03   #29
dougieha

Sorry...I've never done the whole IRC thing...so, your answers are greatly appreciated here in the forum...

edit: And I did realize it isn't finished, I just wanted to make sure that what I was seeing wasn't something wrong...

Dougieha

My skins: Sony MPFX3-WA5 (Just for WA 5.x!!) and Sony MPFX3.
Old 23rd July 2002, 22:11   #30
Darkain
Major Dude

hey, no prob. within the past week, i just turned more into an IRC junkie than a forum junkie, so everything has been updated in there.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 1st August 2002, 23:07   #31
Darkain
Major Dude

DeJaVU Meter 0.7a updated. nothing new i dont think since the last release. i have been away from the computer lately.. but hey, at least this works with b485. i wish i could say the same about RM-X.

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 11th August 2002, 04:17   #32
Darkain
Major Dude

damn, i guess i forgot to mention that i updated DeJaVU Meter for WA3 final. OH WELL! its updated!!

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 11th September 2002, 16:58   #33
NetzwerkStu

Send a message via ICQ to NetzwerkStu
Yeah I like your plug in
But why can´t I open the configuration window? and how can i change the default configuraton at start up (colour and Display type)?
Old 11th September 2002, 19:26   #34
Darkain
Major Dude

there isnt a configuration window for DeVaVU Meter

-=- Darkain Dragoon -=-
Old 11th September 2002, 20:12   #35
NetzwerkStu

Send a message via ICQ to NetzwerkStu
no configuration window? but please explain me how i can change the start up configuraion in the xml code for colour. i read your instructions on your hp, but i´m too stupid for this

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Wasabi Development