Old 15th June 2006, 22:04   #1
ThomPA

MP3s Have Skips After Reinstall of XP

Hi,
I reinstalled XP today as it died the other day, luckily all my music, videos etc.. was still there (as they were on a different partition and most of different hard disc). I've noticed with some of my music though that's there's sudden skips of 2 seconds of so at points - this hasn't been caused by XP being reinstall. It did at one do something with orphan files, which seemed to include some MP3s - i'm not too sure what it was doing exactly though.

I have the exact same settings I had on Winamp before XP died and this didn't happen before.. Is this because of the reinstall or another issue do you think?

thanks!!!
ThomPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 23:06   #2
siebe83
Forum King

Hi,

try these DirectSound output tweaks.

If no luck, please provide more info (read this!).

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 23:08   #3
MarkRH

If these missing 2 seconds are always in the same file and at the same place and Windows Media Player has the glitches with the same files.. it's possible the files were corrupted and Windows attempted to fix them and they have missing data in them now.

Might also make sure by running Dxdiag that Hardware Sound Acceleration is set to Full and that in Winamp's Direct Sound output settings Allow Hardware Acceleration is checked in the device tab. I seem to remember that when I reinstalled Windows, this was unchecked.

Mark H.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 23:20   #4
amano
Major Dude

Quote:
Q: What's the deal with "skipping" / "stuttering" / other playback glitches ?
A: Playback glitches divide into following types:
1. Pausing and/or repeating the buffer a few times - something else takes CPU from us (repeating) or file access is too slow (pausing). Try increasing buffer size. If other cpu-hogging programs are causing trouble, it might help to increase Winamp's process priority class in Winamp's preferences (WARNING: do this on your own risk, if Winamp freezes/crashes for some reason, it may freeze your entire OS).
2. "skipping" - $#!@ broken playback position reporting function (huge kudos to JSheridan for helping me to research this one). Affects audigy and possibly some others. Basically it's caused by the function which is supposed to retrieve current playback position randomly returning garbage instead, making output code think that the buffer has wrapped and writing data ahead. Disabling hardware acceleration fixes it.
3. "popping"/"crackling" - hardware conflict, something interrupts the data stream being sent to your audio device.
4. static noise, hiss - severe problems on driver side. It sometimes helps to disable hardware acceleration.

eeeee eeeeeee eeeee eeeee eeeee
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 88
8eee8 8e 8 8 8eee8 8e 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8 8
88 8 88 8 8 88 8 88 8 8eee8
amano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 16:40   #5
gameplaya15143
Major Dude

try using waveout and see if the problem goes away, if it does, then you are obviously having a problem with directsound
gameplaya15143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 18:34   #6
ThomPA

None of these worked - file did same in Windows Media Player so I'm assuming some files have been corrupted. Good thing I have them on my MP3 player

thanks a lot for your help anyway
ThomPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 23:17   #7
gameplaya15143
Major Dude

Were they skipping in the same places every time? If so, then it would appear that winblows screwed them up.
gameplaya15143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support