Old 14th August 2006, 04:58   #1
LakeHMM

Send a message via AIM to LakeHMM Send a message via Yahoo to LakeHMM
Sorting under Multiple Artists

I think I saw this feature in Windows Media Player. It's sorting one track under multiple artists. The most impressive way to implement this would be to split up any artist with &, vs., feat., etc. and file it under each of those names. For example, a track tagged as by "Shakira feat. Alejandro Sanz" could be found under Shakira and Alejandro Sanz. Another, more primitive way to implement a feature like this would just to do split it up when it has a semi-colon, which is how WMP does it (or did it), if I remember correctly. In that case, it would have to be formatted "Shakira; Alejandro Sanz". But I think the first way would be the most useful.
LakeHMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 22:34   #2
dab5322

Quote:
The most impressive way to implement this would be to split up any artist with &, vs., feat., etc. and file it under each of those names.
You'll definitely want to be careful about the "&" character, e.g. Coldplay's "X&Y", or Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons.
"featuring", "feat.", "f/", "with", "w/", and the semi-colon are all safe, I believe.
As per filing it under each name, I would recommend only listing it under the artists that have at least one other song outside their cooperative work (or at least give the option). That would significantly cut down on supposed "one hit wonder" artists cluttering up the media library.

Personally I've taken to putting secondary artists in brackets after the title or in case of entire albums, the album title.
e.g.
Artist: Original Soundtrack
Album: Mary Poppins Soundtrack [Special Edition]
Song: Jolly Holiday [Julie Andrews; Dick Van Dyke]
or
Artist: The Chieftains
Album: In Ireland [James Galway & The Chieftains]
Song: Carrickfergus (Air)

It's a particular bother as regards soundtracks, classical, and remixes.
dab5322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007, 11:56   #3
mumpel

I go back to that wish since it becomes more necessary with the extended view of Winamp 5.5.

Concerning the special characters, they are only safe if one knows how to handle them. If the developers implement that function (and I appreciate it a lot), they can make a search string with these characters. For preventing to split entries like "X&Y", one could specify " & " (with spaces) and use a personal whitelist. This feature has to be customized, like the split-characters/words and tag-fields (artists only or also albums or songs?). But this would be great, if implemented.
mumpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007, 13:40   #4
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

would be nice to have, especially for remixes and stuff.
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist