Old 12th July 2003, 16:37   #41
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
I alos see the Verical exaggeration of the presets. I can resize windowed mode fine though.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2003, 08:00   #42
Rozzor

Applause for Virtuoso Code

Ryan Geiss, take a bow. The speed of the new version is wondrous and the new features are extremely welcome. I think we will be able to do some fantastic things with them.

Attached are some mods of already existing presets using v1.04 custom shapes and waves. I'm still clambering up the learning curve for the custom waves. There is a preset in the attached zip called "_waveform question" that has an "infinite" peak in it that I did not expect to see, so either I'm not understanding something or the beta is not acting properly. The other quibble that I've come up with so far is that MilkDrop doesn't "remember" in the new version the F2-F6 settings it had when it closed like it did in v1.03.

Minor, minor details. I'm *thrilled* to have new ways to make presets, and I'm already very happy with some of the effects I've created.
Attached Files
File Type: zip thank you, geiss.zip (8.3 KB, 193 views)
Rozzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2003, 14:29   #43
Krash
Major Dude

Inconsistency bug - pressing Escape while in the code windows for custom waves completely takes you out of the editing menus, rather than back to the custom wave menu

- Krash

Eighty-three percent of all statistical quotes are made up on the spot.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2003, 18:50   #44
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Rozzor you are the first to post with the new version, great job, I expecially like vertigyny, I am getting average 200 fps in my highest resolution with it. I know this does not belong here but I thought I would ask. I am in the process of downloading Mandrake linux 9.1 so I will have a tri boot machine. I hope everything goes well and I do not have to reformat as it would take me forever to get back to my configuration I have now with 2000 and XP. I have my drive partitioned with an open drive not formatted yet where I will install linux, if anyone has any warnings or suggestions regarding me doing this it would be appreciated as I have no experience with linux at all except for what I have read (help files from the site)etc. As for now I am just waiting for the beta 3 of 104 to come and the linux download will take at least another day as it is 650 megs for the first CD and I only have 56k. Also I doubt it, but will MD work with Linux if I get my vid card to work with it? Geiss is the best. SM
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2003, 22:08   #45
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Darn rozzer beat me to it
Old 14th July 2003, 02:23   #46
StudioMusic
Major Dude

I am not sure but I think Scroll lock does not shut off sometimes when yu shut MD down either. Here is a shape in a shape mod. SM

Last edited by StudioMusic; 14th July 2003 at 02:47.
Old 14th July 2003, 15:53   #47
mstress

Send a message via ICQ to mstress
GREAT GEISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But......can we have a little manual to know which variables to use?!?!
Please!!!
Pretty please!!!
mstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2003, 19:59   #48
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by geiss
'sample' is from 0..1 and tells you how far through the samples you are. the first sample will have sample==0, the last one will have sample==1, and all the rest will be in between.

'value1' is the left channel value of the waveform or the spectrum for this point. 'value2' is the right channel value.

the t1-t8 vars are sort of like the q1-q8 vars in the regular code. you can set t1-t8 during the 'init' code and they will be readable (and writeable) in the per-frame and per-point code. if you modify t3 in the per-frame code, then the first point will have that modified value; if you then modify t3 during the first point, the second point will get the modified value; and so on. on the next frame, the starting value of t3 will be whatever it was for the last point (or the last time it was set).

Hope that covers the basics...

Cheers,
Ryan

There ya go Mstress..
Old 15th July 2003, 00:40   #49
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Aha a veta.

been away for a bit and too stoned now I may have a look tommorrow if i have tieme.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2003, 03:56   #50
FatalDischarge

issues......

my only problems so far....
milkdrop slows down when there is text on screen, not the sound this time.
custom messages dont work.
that is all for now.
FatalDischarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2003, 09:09   #51
Telek

I have a strange problem with on screen text (full screen).
with just fps display on, I get 12, 30 or if I toggle it on or off repeatedly, 60fps.
With fps and preset name on, 12fps.
Preset on, fps off: 30fps.
fps and preset on: 12fps.

But other times, I get a 1 or 2 frame delay every 0.75 seconds, and:
fps & preset on: 45fps
fps on & preset off: 48fps
both off: 6fps (wtf?????)

Just weird!

Telek Sterling
Dilettante Extraordinaire
Telek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2003, 11:17   #52
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

I get a delay when I open the playlist\preset menu\"L" menu for the first time and a smaller one each time after.

But thats probably because I have a slower computer
Old 15th July 2003, 11:31   #53
Rovastar

Telek check you refresh rates read the documentation with mOnkey/SMoke/Vis SDK. SOme weird things.

I have just checked this and no real time but the full screen texturs are square e.g. 1024x1024 not the size of the fullscreen. e.g. 1024x768. soi the top & botttom boards are always miissed off.

The windows texture size is always square. Or was with the previous versions but I would like this to function as the old fu.l screen would do.

Old 15th July 2003, 12:48   #54
Rovastar

BTW the same bug as krash with the window resizing.

Old 15th July 2003, 13:08   #55
Rovastar

Quickly (I REALLY have no time to look at this) The wave y co-ordintas are al worng.

In previous versoins of MD the top of teh screen was y=1 and the bottom y =0

Now this is reversed top y =0 and bottom y=1. So many presets look messed up.

Maybe more testing ina couple of days.

Noticed also that when text was on the screen there is a massive slowed like 90% but this was only with an old laptop savage card. my GF4 is all ok a litle slowdown but not much.

Old 15th July 2003, 15:02   #56
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Calm down Rova, We don't want anymore SMathons do we
Old 15th July 2003, 17:58   #57
Krash
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Rovastar
Quickly (I REALLY have no time to look at this) The wave y co-ordintas are al worng.

In previous versoins of MD the top of teh screen was y=1 and the bottom y =0

Now this is reversed top y =0 and bottom y=1. So many presets look messed up.
Technically, this is fixing a bug - the wave_y value has been wrong from the beginning. It's always been that way, so we've had to work around it. Now that it's finally been brought into line with the way it's supposed to be (matches up with per_pixel now), we'll have to change all the others back... unless Ryan decides to put the "bug" back in, for the sake of backwards compatibility.

Also, texture size and rendered size are not related to each other. The top and bottom of the screen should still not get cut off. The texture size has always been square, and the top and bottom never got cut off before. A square texture size is simply easier to deal with from the graphics card's point of view - things can be resized appropriately later on.

- Krash

Old 15th July 2003, 18:57   #58
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Why not add a make milkdrop add an extra tag to the v1.04 so all presets that have it use the right wave_y --> presets so if any presets don't have it they use the reversed wave_y.
Old 15th July 2003, 20:55   #59
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

Okay, a few things...

1. the vertical exaggeration is fixing a previous 'bug', sort of. In previous versions of milkdrop, the internal image buffer was stretched to the window for display; so in a 4:3 fullscreen window, perfect circles (as drawn from the code) would appear squished. In milkdrop 1.04 so far, I've changed it so that the internal image gets cropped, so the top and bottom get clipped off (if w > h as in 4:3), and the aspect ratio is accurate and no circles are squished.

The question: is this a big no-no? It does mess with a lot of presets. What do you guys think? Keep it fixed, or revert it? I slightly prefer keeping it fixed, but I could easily be convinced otherwise. Let me know.

2. as for wave_y, yes, I fixed it; it should have been 0=top, 1=bottom all along. I leave it up to you guys... should we keep it fixed (and update old presets for release w/1.04) or revert it? Personally, I think maybe we should revert it; who cares if wave_y is switched; it only takes a split second to notice and fix it, when you're messing with per-frame code and set the value of wave_y. Thoughts?

3. Rova, Krash: I am aware of the crash-on-window-resize bug and am looking into it. Could you try this though: on the first config screen, uncheck the "integrate with winamp" checkbox. Then try to run it & resize the window & let me know if it still crashes. Thanks!

I think that's it for now...
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2003, 21:56   #60
Morninglight

Send a message via ICQ to Morninglight
the first presets look nice

keep up the good work geiss!!!
Morninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2003, 22:53   #61
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Why not juse use my idea posted above for the wave_y thing.

Seems like it would work just fine.
Old 16th July 2003, 00:46   #62
Rovastar

1) MAke full screen 4:3 as before. All the border detail is lost too.Stuff like Cerebral Demons don't look right.

I would make a option for windowsed mode to be 4:3 too. Or if possible get the actual size of teh window for theimage size on the screen. SO a 4:3 box onthe screen really is 4:3 ratio fpor teh presets like full screen.

To draw a moving circle ina circle I always used a 4:3 ratio anyway.

2) leave as before. Too much to change. and I am not chnaging teh thousands of presets to fix it!!!

3) Still get a crash.

Old 16th July 2003, 02:20   #63
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Ryan, I pretty much agree with Rova on the 4-3 issue. As for the scroll lock not shutting down, I must have just pushed it one time for I have not had it happened since, it works fine. Also I now have a tri boot machine linux works, just need to get my modem and sound card to work, the driver installed for the sound, but still no sound the modem might be a prob. Whole new learning curve here. SM
Old 16th July 2003, 10:32   #64
mstress

Send a message via ICQ to mstress
My first 1.4 preset

Tonight i did this!
Peraphs it is still a little bit rough...but I like it!
Attached Files
File Type: zip mstress - acid universes.zip (5.1 KB, 160 views)
mstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2003, 15:30   #65
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Ok, regarding the scroll lock issue I have. It seems that sometimes scroll lock can be on and it does not lock the preset. Not all the time but every now and them and I did have it not shut down when I shut MD down again, it is very seldom but it happens. SM
Old 16th July 2003, 16:34   #66
Krash
Major Dude

Geiss - I'm running Winamp 2.76 - before the integrate with winamp functionality exists. So I don't think that's your problem =[
Edit: While I understand your desire to fix bugs, I think it's really a little late. The two fixes, while perfectly sensible, do break alot of presets. Both "bugs" were easy to notice and work around - wave_y is obvious, and the aspect ratio made sense - in a skewed sort of way. If you'd prefer to keep the bugs fixed, it would be nice to have a batch-processing tool that could add a "wave_y=1-wave_y" to the bottom of all the presets, as well as something which would adjust appropriate values to maintain proper aspect ratio. Obviously, it's easier to just keep the bugs =]

SM: Typically, if Scroll Lock is set to ON, and THEN you start MD, the presets won't lock. You have to turn it on while MD is running for it to take effect. This is true every time you close and restart MD.

- Krash

Old 18th July 2003, 01:23   #67
Christophe
Sexaholic

NOTE: this is ryan, i am just at work using christpohe,s machine.

kay guys:::

first, forgive me, im on q french keyboqrd: argh:

anyway:::

wave y is reverted to originql code:
4:3 is reverted to original code:
and i need your help to really crank out some good presets (with the new functionality) FAST.
i really want to release the new version soon, but it will be way better if it ships with some good presets.

thanks in advqnce.... super thanks.

-geiss

- time heals but i'm forever broken
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2003, 01:46   #68
Rovastar

Yeap working on it. Give me another 24 hours . We do have plenty of new stuff in the last year without the new features though.

Hold on is that it then. I would like to change all the variables in MD e.g. Turn Filters like Negative on and off per frame.

IS this going to change??

Old 18th July 2003, 02:58   #69
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Ryan, I just have 3 questions for you. 1. Are you going to ad any more features to the new version (push a letter on the song list to go to group and a counter for the volume)any of Rova's ? I hope so. 2. What kind of computer (specs) do you use to write MD? and 3. did you get the problem Krash mentioned about going out of edit mode when you pust the excape key? I need to go to work shortly. Wish I didn't. Ho well. Thanks so much Ryan for my favorite prog. SM
Old 18th July 2003, 04:03   #70
MooseMuffin

I still cant get song titles to show up when the song changes like it used to. Am I the only one or is this too minor for anyone to mention?
MooseMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2003, 04:30   #71
Zylot
Major Dude

Damn, even on this crappy comp the new milkdrop rocks!

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2003, 10:58   #72
StudioMusic
Major Dude

MooseMuffin, I do not think anybody gets song title, custom messages or sprites. We are still in Beta. I am pretty sure it will be integrated into the final versionl. At least I hope so. SM
Old 18th July 2003, 11:31   #73
Rovastar

Right there are still a couple of bugs in the beta. Text no displayed, errors in code when none, etc. I will sticky a new thread in the Troubleshooting forums to address this. Please direct to: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=142635

Old 18th July 2003, 12:16   #74
StudioMusic
Major Dude

One more minor little bug and I mean minor. In window mode when you right click show playlist checkmark is sometimes there even when playlist is not showing. If you see it there and no playlist is showing just show playlist and then shut it down and it is blank again. Hope this makes sense. SM
Old 18th July 2003, 13:00   #75
Rovastar

*sigh* post it in the other thread

Old 18th July 2003, 21:39   #76
geiss

Cool, I've replied to most of these concerns... see the other thread:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=142635
Old 19th July 2003, 07:47   #77
FatalDischarge

Ryan, i gotta wonder.......

for the longest time it seemed like you have abandoned milkdrop. many have felt this way including myself. just out of curiosity, what the hell have you been up to? something great im sure. perhaps youve just been chillin or maybe basking in you own glory : ) just wondering.
p.s. please dont stop at 1.04.
FatalDischarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2003, 09:14   #78
geiss

well, there was that geiss 2 plugin

it took some time.

http://www.nullsoft.com/free/geiss2

and I was doing some internal work for AOL (they own us (Winamp), which you probably already know) for a while there (~4 months), and had virtually no spare time for vis stuff. =(

I hope to work on pure vis for at least the near term... =)

Peace,
Ryan
Old 19th July 2003, 18:52   #79
Zylot
Major Dude

Huzzah, that means milkdrop 1.05, 06 08 (why'd you skip 07 anyways?) 09 and 1.1!

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2003, 09:56   #80
Reenen

Text Speed Down

I've downloaded MD 1.04 and tried to program presets... it was too slow when you have text on screen (on my PCI TNT from noah's ark).

The reason I think that the text get so slow is because of the transparency on the text... older cards does not support transparency with ease (quake1 had a weird workaround that also slowed a PC down a lot for water)

If it is possible to make it an option to display text with a transparent background, then I am sure that the text speed problem could be fixed.

My vote is to keep the wave_y as it is (was in 1.03) because to me anyway, it makes sense mathimatically (working in the 1st quadrant).

I really like MD 1.04, and in time I'll post all my old 1.03 stuff here again (like I did more than a year ago about).
Reenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets