Old 24th March 2015, 01:43   #1
TwoCables

Gapless CD playback for sequential tracks?

No matter what Output plug-in I use (Maiko WASAPI, DirectSound, WaveOut - I strongly prefer Maiko WASAPI), some of my CDs that have sequential tracks (that are supposed to seamlessly continue from one song to the next) don't have a perfect gapless and seamless sound. Strangely though, this doesn't affect all of the track transitions on the CDs in question.

For a specific example, I have Dream Theater's Metropolis PT. 2: Scenes From a Memory CD. When transitioning from track 3 to 4, I hear the transition as a type of a click sound, as though it's an extremely tiny gap. I hear the gap, but I don't hear the dead space in between. When I play this CD in Windows Media Player 12, it's flawless. So, I want that flawless and seamless playback in Winamp, but I don't know how to get it.

To continue on that example, it's perfectly seamless/gapless/flawless when transitioning from tracks 4 to 5. When going from tracks 6 to 7, I hear the change. Like with 3 to 4, there's no gap, but I can still hear the transition. Windows Media Player 12 has no problem with this, just like it doesn't have a problem with the transition from track 3 to 4.

The same thing happens when going from track 11 to 12: no gap, but I can hear the transition, and WMP 12 had no issue with it whatsoever.

I'm using Winamp Full 5.666 Build 3516. Can you help?
TwoCables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 10:58   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
what format are the files? if LAME, what ver?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 14:53   #3
TwoCables

I'm talking about retail CDs. If you're wondering why I didn't say so before, well, I did. So, this has nothing to do with music files; just retail CDs that have continuous (or "sequential") tracks that are supposed to have a perfectly seamless and gapless track change.
TwoCables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 15:47   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
ok, I just assumed you had ripped them since that's usually the context of questions like this.

it would be interesting to see if you ripped to lossless if winamp still had the pause or not.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support