Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 14th September 2013, 18:29   #1
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Winamp at Lifehacker´s list of the best for Windows 2013

Not a huge, big deal, but it´s not wrong to point it out, Winamp is in Lifehacker´s list of the best for Windows apps of this year. I see it maybe like some sort of (small) prize to the effort of people like DrO, Koopa, DJ Egg and others we don´t know about, who work against complains, idiots, politics and drawbacks, proving that Winamp is still improving and evolving and obviously one of the best media players PC has ever known.

Congratulations !!

Lifehacker Pack for Windows 2013: Our List of the Best Windows Apps
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 19:54   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Yeah, that came out in July. It was fun reading the comments. Like from that guy who said Winamp hasn't been updated in 8 or 9 years! Where's he been? He must have been taking about the UI's look, cause there have been dozens of 'under the hood' fixes and improvements. But I'm guessing because I've not been using the default skins for over 10 years.

It's too bad that some people focus more on how something looks, rather than on what it does. It's ironic too, since the look (in this case) is so easy to change.

Likehacker's three 2nd place players were also interesting choices. I was surprised AIMP didn't make the list.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 00:00   #3
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Haha yeah, there is a lot of people who talks without really knowing.. at first I thought you were talking about the other comments in the "The Best Music Player Application for Windows" (guess which app is it!) that is linked in the above article.

Winamp also made the "Windows App Directory" they build with all the best apps, but that article is older (2011 I think, strange I didn´t see it).

PS: Yes, it´s too bad people don´t see changes just because its appearance doesn´t change. Sometimes I think I would like to propose a design for a new default skin..
Old 15th September 2013, 00:11   #4
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
PS: Yes, it´s too bad people don´t see changes just because its appearance doesn´t change. Sometimes I think I would like to propose a design for a new default skin..
we often get that people don't like the skin but never say what / why they don't like it so there's not much chance in trying to make another default skin (since no one seems to know what people don't like about Bento let alone what would be wanted as part of a new skin).

there's nothing stopping you proposing a new skin, but really it'd be better just to try it and make one and that then develop into another possible skin included with Winamp than just talk about it.

also it doesn't help that too often people don't get that the skin can be changed (shows how well they pay attention during setup) and that other skins can be downloaded as well *shrugs*

and my thoughts on a new default skin, would be that it'd be a SUI skin most of the time but allow for parts to be 'torn-off' to make it a MUI skin when needed (which would cross the gap between those who like SUI and don't like SUI-skins) as well as possibly being a bit more flexible on placement of the sub-windows. which is about as far as we've gotten on thoughts other than Egg would like to see 'fresher' scrollbars in Bento.

at times, i wonder if we just changed the default colour theme of Bento to be lighter (as most web-design has gone for example) would be enough with some slight image tweaks. but then people don't like new default skins (based on the mass of abuse that came from Bento) but then most of the time, you only ever hear the negative *shrugs*
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 00:41   #5
djpete
Major Dude

said it before and I'll say it again. Winamp IS the best media player out there. NOTHING comes anywhere near the options and possibilities that can be configured.
Anyone who disagrees is either just plain
1 ignorant or
2 has a completely unqualified bias

Their loss.

Keep up the good work gang.

PS As for iTunes...pleeeeeeeease...give me a break.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 15:09   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
also it doesn't help that too often people don't get that the skin can be changed (shows how well they pay attention during setup) and that other skins can be downloaded as well *shrugs*
People rather look at moving images than read text or look at a single static image (even more so with audio included). Since many don't read what they could and should, they simply don't know what's available.

It would not hurt to add a short video (or slide show) to the main site (and to the installer with an option to disable after the 1st run) that cycles through all the default smart views in the Bento ML window, shows the various ways the Bento top middle window can be used (including visualizations), and cycles through images of the other skins included in the installer (with a notice that more are available on line).

I wish I had the skills to provide this. It shouldn't be very difficult for those with the know how and the tools currently available for such things. All the digital presentations I've every tried to make looked too amateurish or too technical for mass distribution, imo. I just don't have the artistic touch.

For whatever reasons, many (most?) people seldom look beyond the default installation of any app at first. They expect the defaults to provide them what they need. They rather just use the app for it's obvious (to them) purposes than spend time customizing and optimizing things (and learning how). That is reasonable, but therefore they remain mostly unaware of the true power of their apps for a long time. But once they become aware (by whatever means), they generally like the additional things available.

Winamp's greatest strength is also it's weakness. Currently there are so many ways it can be used (with and without 3rd party plug-ins) that it can intimidate those who do look beyond the defaults. Maybe the options/preferences should be divided into simple and advanced groups (if such a thing is possible at this point).

Even-though I've used Winamp from it's beginnings, once it became more complex, it took me a long time to overcome my fear of breaking something, or losing my way, before I started exploring the features and alternate usage that were not obvious to me.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 16th September 2013, 03:21   #7
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
we often get that people don't like the skin but never say what / why they don't like it so there's not much chance in trying to make another default skin (since no one seems to know what people don't like about Bento let alone what would be wanted as part of a new skin).

there's nothing stopping you proposing a new skin, but really it'd be better just to try it and make one and that then develop into another possible skin included with Winamp than just talk about it.

and my thoughts on a new default skin, would be that it'd be a SUI skin most of the time but allow for parts to be 'torn-off' to make it a MUI skin when needed (which would cross the gap between those who like SUI and don't like SUI-skins) as well as possibly being a bit more flexible on placement of the sub-windows. which is about as far as we've gotten on thoughts other than Egg would like to see 'fresher' scrollbars in Bento.

Well, I will work on a design to propose then. But if it´s possible, I would like hear the team´s thought and the little feedback you´ve already got (like when you say to make it SUI but with detachable windows, that´s something, not much but a start surely), it would be ideal to implement what´s doable into the design to make it more meaningful and not just based on my taste / judgement. Can I send you some questions by PM? (or tell me who should I direct to).

Quote:
at times, i wonder if we just changed the default colour theme of Bento to be lighter (as most web-design has gone for example) would be enough with some slight image tweaks. but then people don't like new default skins (based on the mass of abuse that came from Bento) but then most of the time, you only ever hear the negative *shrugs*
I'm not sure if people dislike default skins, Winamp modern was a great hit, Xion's default is another, iTunes became a classic, etc.. Maybe you should think about the benefits of a new skin not in terms of acceptance but about how much you win in other areas; a new skin can bring some fresh air, give a little more focus to new features, a chance to highlight other aspects of the soft (ignored before) and in general stay up to date with market tendencies if needed or just the soft heading.
Old 16th September 2013, 09:47   #8
DrO

but if no one knows what a new skin should look like and what and how it should provide access to features is what no one can decide upon. what I've said is about as much as thinking about it had gotten other than agreement that a new possibly default official skin would be good to have.

Winamp Modern got the same calls for something fresh as bento has gotten and bento was the attempt to do that and despite having the option in the setup process to select the old default people gave us a load of abuse and ditched Winamp over a skin change

however its done people complain and that's all we generally hear so its no wonder people on the team are generally negative to change and nothing ends up happening or when it does its too late. maybe we should just forget about Winamp and move on from it.

and from another point earlier on - I'd proposed a preferences overhaul back in 2010 to simplify / collate things more appropriately with the means to search for things but that's a load of work, breaks every language pack (which is another issue of its own getting them updated) and yes it'd be nice but it has minimal effect. I'd even looked at just moving some of the ui specific things to their own page recently and even that causes breaking at least 4 existing pages.
Old 16th September 2013, 09:54   #9
djpete
Major Dude

"maybe we should just forget about Winamp and move on from it"
What tha??!!

Maybe Winamp needs more promotion in the way of the above review etc.
A lot of this can be done at almost no cost.

Would be a very sad day if Winamp was discontinued.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 16th September 2013, 10:04   #10
DrO

don't mind me, I've just spent too long dealing with negative comments about Winamp outside of the forums reality bubble and this thread isn't helping my views on things at the moment (which is annoying as early last week I'd been considering starting to bring back some of my plug-ins to my site but now I've lost that urge).
Old 16th September 2013, 10:10   #11
djpete
Major Dude

:-(
Never say never.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 16th September 2013, 11:42   #12
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
don't mind me, I've just spent too long dealing with negative comments about Winamp outside of the forums reality bubble and this thread isn't helping my views on things at the moment (which is annoying as early last week I'd been considering starting to bring back some of my plug-ins to my site but now I've lost that urge).
Haha and how did that happened?? If this post makes you sad then the other I hold on to not publish about acquisitions "being always a failure" will make you.. happy? Haha.

Maybe I understand how you feel, I probably sound like the new employee that has a lot of ideas, really proud about how he'll change the company, make everything better, etc..
I work as a graphic designer in an Argentinian government's department.. Imagine that!!
Old 16th September 2013, 12:08   #13
DrO

it's hard not to get negative about things when all you get told is your product is shit and that you should just give up working on it. that is pretty much the stream of stuff which comes in from other media channels and when that's all you see, it makes you doubt that a) any of the fixes being done are worth it (for some yes, but most probably not now) and b) do enough people actually care (they just seem to care enough to complain which is just how a lot of people on the internet have become).

it doesn't help i'm 2 days away from being on these forums officially as a user and things have changed so much that i'm now starting to find it hard to see how Winamp is even relevant anymore (which is what saddens me the most) and that there's a lot of things which can still be done but resources pretty much prevent it from happening.

as i'd wanted to do like an anniversary plug-in pack or something like that to mark that date but at the moment i just can't see the point (guess i'm in one of my 'low points'). anyhoo, just ignore my negativity.
Old 16th September 2013, 13:05   #14
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Well.. I'm pretty bad at being comfort (or is it "do comfort"? I'm even reaching my English limit there haha), if it helps, probably a psychologist would advice to.. Take all that negativism and rage out and do something with it before you go, plant a code bomb (?), take servers down (¿?), write history's longest bitching post/mail, whatever.. Maybe you manage to do a "fresh restart" in an extreme way haha.

(Don't take seriously anything I've just said..)
Old 16th September 2013, 14:44   #15
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Well, I'm not the kind of always-positive-no matter-what, so it should be said:
Lifehacker belongs to Gawker Media, which belongs to.. Guess what.. AOL!
Yep, so it's not rare to find winamp will always be their favorite media player..

So long for the good news.. I should've post the other article haha
Old 16th September 2013, 14:54   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I still love winamp. I don't understand how anyone could say its obsolete, b/c what am I supposed to do without it? use iTunes?

kind of hard to understand how anyone can say its obsolete, when iTunes, MM, FB2K, etc are all going on strong.

I also like where they are going with the cloud stuff, which I think will keep it relevant.

I also like bento, I think its fairly well organized. having said that, it could be more efficient in how it uses space, which I've posted about before. for instance, the entire bottom is wasted space, (the row where the "collapse" button is).

one thing I think the app sorely needs, is DLNA capability. it should be a server, renderer, and RC. (the 3 main DLNA elements) winamp could serve as a 24/7 default media server IF it had that.

it also needs "accuraterip" so people can see if they are getting good rips or not.

it needs the ability to play iso images of DVDs. (pretty sure it doesn't, right?)

it also needs to build in remote control abilities to both the app and the droid app, so the same droid app that plays stuff, can remote control a given PC instance. and the cloud could be the conduit to do it, which would be cool b/c it would mean that the droid and pc winamps wouldn't have to necessarily be on the same wifi network.

the last thing i'll mention would be an official "winamp store" where users could DL free/paid plugins for their PC or Droid winamps, both official and 3rd party. I think that could boost revenue.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 17:05   #17
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
it's hard not to get negative about things when all you get told is your product is shit and that you should just give up working on it. that is pretty much the stream of stuff which comes in from other media channels and when that's all you see, it makes you doubt that a) any of the fixes being done are worth it (for some yes, but most probably not now) and b) do enough people actually care (they just seem to care enough to complain which is just how a lot of people on the internet have become).
Could it be the folks on these channels want Winamp to just go away, then they won't have to compete with the King. Don't get caught up in letting the vocal minority speak for the silent majority. If the powers that be really wanted to know, they could sponsor some focus groups and/or independent surveys.

Quote:
it doesn't help i'm 2 days away from being on these forums officially as a user and things have changed so much that i'm now starting to find it hard to see how Winamp is even relevant anymore (which is what saddens me the most) and that there's a lot of things which can still be done but resources pretty much prevent it from happening.
Since the powers that be have decided not to renew your contract that says a lot about the future of Winamp.

In America, it is all about the money and making the most while spending the least. All the other concerns about quality, relevance, usefulness, and so on is mostly propaganda and usually only a means to that end, imo. It is cheaper (and more fun if you like to gamble) to latch on to the next 'new' thing (for however long it lasts), than to try and keep the 'old dog' around.

Also, the richest Americans have always been very good at selling 'snake oil' and feeling justified doing so (Let the buyer beware). So it is either get with the 'program' or do what you think is 'right' and deal with the consequences. In other words, sell out or don't sell out.

It can be sad at times and difficult, but nothing to get negative about (keep your head up and eyes and ears open). Just need to be a realist about things, do what you can live with, enjoy what you enjoy, and keep a look out for the opportunities to turn things to your advantage. Opportunities do come along, often when you least expect them. Which explains why I've missed so many of mine.

Old 16th September 2013, 17:41   #18
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Since the powers that be have decided not to renew your contract that says a lot about the future of Winamp.
where did that come from? i'm still contracted.
Old 16th September 2013, 17:48   #19
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
where did that come from? i'm still contracted.
I was just about to change that sentence to "If the powers ... ". I was reading more into what was said than what was actually said.

You were talking about your anniversary. My bad! (look for the beer donation by the end of the week)

Congratulations!

Old 16th September 2013, 19:44   #20
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
I also understood you were talking about "2 days until I'm no longer a developer /volunteer but just a user" haha
Old 19th September 2013, 21:28   #21
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

There's a new poll up.... so get ready to vote again folks :-)
http://lifehacker.com/best-desktop-m...yer-1348058921
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 05:40   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

New poll is up
http://lifehacker.com/five-best-desk...ers-1359017080

We're winning so far, but it's a bit closer this time....

[EDIT]

Results:

1. Winamp 27.03% (1,557 votes)
2. foobar2000 23.24% (1,339 votes)
3. Zune Music 21% (1,205 votes)
4. MediaMonkey 19.55% (1,126 votes)
5. MusicBee 9.27% (534 votes)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 06:02   #23
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Actually last time iTunes won, by.. like.. Can't remember but was 30% to 29%. This time Foobar is the big contender.. We're 200 votes up so far..

PS: All the comments down there about Winamp make me feel less weirdo about sticking so much to winamp after all these years =)
Old 27th September 2013, 13:58   #24
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victhor View Post
Well, I'm not the kind of always-positive-no matter-what, so it should be said:
Lifehacker belongs to Gawker Media, which belongs to.. Guess what.. AOL!
Yep, so it's not rare to find winamp will always be their favorite media player..

So long for the good news.. I should've post the other article haha
NOW we are talking about a real -No media deceive- good news! Winamp won! Yep, it -still- really whips the llama's ass!! =)
Old 30th September 2013, 02:39   #25
Aminifu
Forum King

Was there ever any doubt?

Old 1st October 2013, 21:16   #26
Sagehorn

I'm proud of my own choice
Go on like this!
Sagehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 23:54   #27
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I am coming too late, because I didn't know, that I should vote again, but good news, that this time Winamp has won... :-)

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
best of, lifehacker, list, selection, winamp