Old 30th June 2014, 07:43   #1
SketchSlayer

Using replay gain in a specific way.

Well when I tried using replay gain instead of forcing the quieter tracks to be louder it simply lowers how loud the tracks with average base volume are, This is the exact opposite of what I want from replay gain, I want it to set tracks to play at a similar level without killing how loud tracks are to make quiet stuff sound the same.

I'm sure someone will suggest just upping the volume that I'm using for output but that then sets everything outside winamp to stupidly loud forcing screwing with volume whenever doing anything outside of winamp which is why I am not going to be doing that.
SketchSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 09:08   #2
DrO

there is an option on preferences -> playback -> replaygain to adjust the level applied which should allow you to get things to what you want.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 09:20   #3
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi SketchSlayer,

I assume you're using the latest Winamp version with the latest patches. Winamp's RG tries to achieve an overall level of about 89 dB. Some users find this to be too quiet. Have you tried the adjustments (on the GP - Playback - Replay Gain tab) for files with and without RG tags? They allow an additional increase of up to 6 dB.

What OS version are you using? The Windows Volume Mixer (since XP) allows the max volume level to be set at different relative points for individual apps and system sounds. This lets you increase the volume for Winamp and offset it for everything else that is running at the same time. These settings should remain between sessions, but sometimes they are not and need to be set again.

Also, be sure the overall volume level control in Winamp itself is set to maximum before applying these other adjustments and offsets.

Edit:
DrO's reply was not there when I started to make mine.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 09:46   #4
SketchSlayer

Making replay gain just increase the dBs seems to make a lot of songs sound terrible for whatever reason...
Thinking I'll have to make do without replay gain which is a little annoying with how quiet some songs are.

And by default some songs seemed to have fine levels with replay gain on but others seemed to be lowered probably due to occasional slightly louder parts or somesuch.... which is more than slightly annoying.
Old 30th June 2014, 09:54   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Too much amplification of the original file can cause distortion and/or clipping. This is why it is better to set a lower RG level and then increase the volume with your speaker controls and use the Windows volume mixer to keep everything else from being too loud.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 30th June 2014, 10:00   #6
SketchSlayer

Huh, then replay gain is far less useful to me than expected I guess...
Thanks for the slightly better understanding of it, only reason I was that interested in it was to attempt to make certain rather quiet tracks more of an average sorta sound level but it seems like replay gain is far from what I'm looking for.

Last edited by SketchSlayer; 30th June 2014 at 10:02. Reason: typos
Old 30th June 2014, 10:03   #7
DrO

you could also see if switching between track and album mode helps (whichever is currently set, trying the other option). though its sounds more like you'd be better off with selective replaygain of files that need it rather than applying it to everything.
Old 30th June 2014, 10:07   #8
SketchSlayer

And how exactly does one apply selective replay gain?
I haven't spent too much time looking through winamps settings and from what I've seen it doesn't seem to mention selective RG.
Old 30th June 2014, 10:11   #9
DrO

as you appear to have processed all of the files, you'd have to remove the replaygain tags from all of the files you don't want it on. if you didn't have any files which have been processed, you would then only have to send those you want to be processed.

though it suspect replaygain won't be right for you even after doing that.
Old 30th June 2014, 10:12   #10
Aminifu
Forum King

I suggest you browse thru the article I wrote a couple years ago (link below).

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=345520

Old 30th June 2014, 10:17   #11
SketchSlayer

Yeah I had guessed it might not be the best solution after having had some insight into how to use replay gain, seems like a nice feature for a media player to have regardless of how useful it is to some.

Thanks for the help.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support