Old 24th January 2003, 17:24   #1
Kvetch

Naming system for the Playlist

I am trying to setup a linux server with On-Demand, so I can pick which songs I want to listen to. I had a On-Demand server working fine in Windows but I only set it up as a test ( I only had a few songs with one word filenames). Now that I have setup Shoutcast on my Linux server, I seem to be having problems with certain songs in my playlist. Any song or file that has a space in it's name gets overlooked. Is there a way to make Winamp or whatever recognize files and file locations with a space in it? Or do I need to rename everything with underscores (ie. my_songs/mixed_blues/blues_song_1). Can it the playlist be written with single qoutes like you would in Unix? (ie. 'my songs/mixed blues/blues song 1')

Thanks,
Kvetch
Kvetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2003, 02:21   #2
Kvetch

anyone?

does anyone else have a problem with spaces in the song names?
Old 27th January 2003, 07:59   #3
FesterHead
Alumni

Suggestion: Fix the problem. Don't bandaid it.

You will find working with song files much more enjoyable when you have removed spaces and/or special characters from the filename.

Many taggers have a file rename function based on the song information. I use Music Library for all my tagging and renaming needs.

FesterHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2003, 15:28   #4
Kvetch

Thanks, I will give it a try. I didn't want to go thru each file since I there is a couple thousand files. I guess I should have wrote them out that way when I ripped them from my cds.
Old 27th January 2003, 16:11   #5
FesterHead
Alumni

Quote:
Many taggers have a file rename function based on the song information. I use Music Library for all my tagging and renaming needs.
Let your computer do the work for you. As long as the songs have valid ID3 (v1 or v2) tags, you should have a painless experience.

I use CDex to extract with filename setting: %l1\%l2\%l1-%l2-%l7-%l4
(artist\title\artist-title-track number leading 0-track name)

Then I remove spaces and special characters from artist and/or album (CDex equates album with title) and move to final directory resting place.

Finally, The tunes are loaded into MusicLibrary and the rename function is applied which removes spaces and special characters from the file name.

FesterHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2003, 20:13   #6
Kvetch

Thanks again, Music Library sounds good. I will give it a try, I have to transfer my files over to Windows machine first. Unless you know a Linux way?

So was I right in assuming that Shoutcast cannot read files with spaces in the names?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support