XBox 2 4 16.67%
Game Sphere? 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th July 2002, 08:08   #1
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Which game console "will" you buy?

Take the three consoles today follow their evolution in five or so years and tell us your conclusions

How will Playstation 2 evolve?
What will the Next XBox be like?
Will Gamecube2 be another purple cube?

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 08:11   #2
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

None...Im quite happy with games performance on my pc.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 08:13   #3
banjoe-john

Send a message via AIM to banjoe-john Send a message via Yahoo to banjoe-john
I "will" buy playstation 3. I've seen how well the first playstation has done over the years. It's done much better than N64, sales wise(i think...). I've played playstation 2 and I think it's great. I just don't like Micro$oft.
What about Dreamcast 2?
banjoe-john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 08:14   #4
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by banjoe-john
What about Dreamcast 2?
Atari should re-release the 2600 with flashy new stickers...
Old 25th July 2002, 08:15   #5
liquidmotion
Smokes Two Joints
Beta Team

Send a message via ICQ to liquidmotion
After playing 10-player Halo on the xbox, that is my system of choise (even tho i have ps2, snes, nes, dc, etc). bit of a collector, i guess

For a good time: shup | stashbox | my homepage
liquidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 08:20   #6
Anacific
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Anacific
PC is my future system of choice

"He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence." - William Blake
WSPA | WWF | RSPCA | AAPA | Green Peace - Know and help...
The Rainforest Site | The Animal Rescue Site - Click and help...
Anacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 08:23   #7
Emperor Chen

ATARI 2006!

Odd, this question was asked and I'm only 8 hours from buying an Xbox
Emperor Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 08:39   #8
Bizznatch
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Bizznatch
i'd rather upgrade my PC than buy a new game console.
Bizznatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 09:28   #9
apollos
Forum King

Damn! I was waiting for a none option.

Consoles are a pointless waste of money when computers are alot easily upgradeable and good ones out preform the shitty new consoles (X-Box for example) which is a babies toy compared to some l33t machines that will play alot higher demanding games.
apollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 09:54   #10
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

yes playing an internet based game on a 19inch CRT is so much fun as compared to a 62inch HDTV...

Consoles aren't designed to be PC's. They are designed to play Console games not cutting edge ultrabitmap nividia 4 gpus that need upgrading every 8 or so months.

This is a console thread not a PC games thread. Start a PC Games thread.

I'm Back?
Old 25th July 2002, 10:25   #11
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflip
yes playing an internet based game on a 19inch CRT is so much fun as compared to a 62inch HDTV...
Errrm...Even the nastiest low rent video cards come with tv out nowdays..

Also, its not neccesary to upgrade video cards every 8 months. Im sure a geforce4 ti4600 would still be a respectable card to own in 2 years time.
Old 25th July 2002, 10:48   #12
rm'
Banned

While computers may be more powerful, consoles have their place. They are much cheaper, and significantly easier to use. If you just want to relax after a hard day's work, you don't have to worry about booting up your OS, installing a game, configuring, and then finally getting to play. You just pop in the game disk, and start playing immediately. They are not designed to replace computers, so don't treat them like they are.

and my gf2 doesn't have tv out (although admittedly, it's quite an old card now).
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 13:32   #13
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Inatlantis
Damn! I was waiting for a none option.

Consoles are a pointless waste of money when computers are alot easily upgradeable and good ones out preform the shitty new consoles (X-Box for example) which is a babies toy compared to some l33t machines that will play alot higher demanding games.
Find me on a PC : Final Fantasy X, Onimusha Warlords, Devil May Cry, Jak & Daxter, Ico...

Need I carry on ?
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 13:39   #14
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
I wish someone would port "the third World War" for the sega CD to PC...
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 13:54   #15
isuck@shoutcast

i think sony made the best consoles, in my opinion, it beat the crap out of n64 with its s**t games that are desinged for 2 year olds (then again, i heard from someone that the maker of nintendo doesnt like gorey and horrible games) even when sony hadnt made the playstation, i still hated nintendo, i was with sega back then. sega still rules but now its died, its just microsoft, sony and nintendo.

but nintendo acctually got sony into making consoles not in a friendly way, but sony was going to make a cd rom for the super nintendo but after a while, nintendo called the deal off and sony decided to make its own console.

correct me if im wrong but games consoles came out before games for computers were made.

and obviously, id buy a playstation 3 when it comes out.
isuck@shoutcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 21:43   #16
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by banjoe-john
What about Dreamcast 2?
sega have stopped developing consoles and are concentrating on arcade and games developement now. apparently.

and isuck@shoutcast, you'll prolly be interested to know that nintendo commisioned sony to make a CD console to rival the Sega Mega CD, but when that bombed they cancelled it... so sony continued development itself, and it became the playstation. so you do owe nintendo something there

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 21:54   #17
eleet-2k2
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo

Atari should re-release the 2600 with flashy new stickers...
Sega is essentially dead.

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
eleet-2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 22:04   #18
fish
Pretty Cool Guy

Send a message via AIM to fish
None

The only reason people complain about PC games it that they usually have their dad's 486. My PC's so heavily modded that PC games are fine for me.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 22:28   #19
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
even though i'd like a gaming machine, i think it'd be more cost effective for a PS3. i was thinking about getting the next generation console, since i was impressed by the PS2 and Xbox.
it doesn't really bother me that "evil M$" owns the Xbox, as long as they can entertain me. nor do i care if "evil M$" doesn't allow users to modify it to run a *nix kernel. whoopie, i won't do that anyways.

so i'll weigh in what console best suits me, since many games cross different consoles i'll probably go with price and aesthetics.
but i can promise you, nintendo will unlikely gather any attention from me. it's fine if they want to target a younger audience... with pokemon **gag**
Aeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 22:32   #20
isuck@shoutcast

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm

sega have stopped developing consoles and are concentrating on arcade and games developement now. apparently.

and isuck@shoutcast, you'll prolly be interested to know that nintendo commisioned sony to make a CD console to rival the Sega Mega CD, but when that bombed they cancelled it... so sony continued development itself, and it became the playstation. so you do owe nintendo something there
I own the nintendo, super nintendo, and the n64, i think the best was the super nintendo. i wouldnt mind owing all of them such as the virtual boy and the original game boy that WAS a brick. but i still hate the games..........i just collect them.
Old 25th July 2002, 22:34   #21
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by isuck@shoutcast
I own the nintendo, super nintendo, and the n64, i think the best was the super nintendo. i wouldnt mind owing all of them such as the virtual boy and the original game boy that WAS a brick. but i still hate the games..........i just collect them.
my friend collects consoles. the SNES was good, but if you look at long-term entertainment, when there's people around, it has to be the megadrie version of micro-machines, even if the SNES version lets you have two players per controller

Old 25th July 2002, 22:43   #22
isuck@shoutcast

sony was basicly, the replacement sega, it brought gore and ultraviolence to games. for example, i think it was mortal combat, that the megadrive version had more blood then the one on the snes so the megadrive sold more copys. also, if you look at the playstation compared to n64, you would have grandtheft auto, a load of sex games (banned in virtually all countrys) metal gear solid, silent hill and a load of other games i cant even think of, on n64, you have super mario 64, donkey kong 64, banjo kazzoie (however you spell it) etc. now on the ps2, theres grand theft auto 3, silent hill 2, metal gear solid. the only game i can think of for game cube is luigis haunted masion (something like that)do you get my point? sony is better if you want gore, violence and even sex!
Old 25th July 2002, 22:46   #23
zootm
Forum King

if you want gore, violence and sex, go for PC...

consoles are better for "community" (i.e. when your mates are round) play, in my experience... i'm not a big fan of many single-player console games.

Old 25th July 2002, 22:46   #24
dollerspark
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to dollerspark
I like my PC, but I also like consoles, so I suppose I'll take my pick:

Xbox 2. I know a LOT of people are saying [extremly whiny baby voice]Micro$oft sucks so the Xbox sucks it only has Halo and that's it whine whine whine...[/extremely whiny baby voice] but the Xbox is the best console out there (ok, fine. It's best IMO...). I must say that it's one of the best things MS has ever done. Not only do the stats of the console beat the other consoles out there, but it actuall does have a great set of games behind it! I hear from developers in interviews about putting taking their PS2 or GC game and putting it on Xbox "We can do that now with the Xbox" or "the Xbox's power let's us do that."

I've never been a big Playstation fan. Nothing against Sony, I own some of their products and they have been great, but the PS is just so-so. The original had horrible graphics, wasn't the fastest piece of machinery around, and just basically stunk (once again, IMO). The only real thing that Sony had behind it was their games, but of course those could have been put on any other system... It got popular. It was cool to have a playstation. If you didn't have one, you weren't as cool. Playstation was to consoles what Mtv was to television. I was just "the cool thing," even if it wasn't that great. Now with the Playstation 2, they were able to enhance it and turn it into a much better system. The PS2 is a great system, don't get me wrong. Although the system wasn't as great as the Xbox's (IMO...) it still seems to be the one getting advertised more. I dunno, that's just always bothered me...

As for Nintendo, they make an OK system. I got the N64, and it was the best system of it's time. Yes, many of the games were child-geared but not all of them. Remember that old smash hit Goldeneye? Or how about Perfect Dark? Those games were brilliant at the stage the FPS was at then, and they don't seem to be too "kiddie" now do they? Anyway, the GC is ok. It's not the best stats-wise, but it is pretty darn good. And it does have a lot of good games standing behind it.

All in all, I have to go with Xbox. Don't judge the system just by who makes it. Judge it by the system itself.

"We are fortunate: we are alive; we are powerful; the welfare of our civilization and our species is in our hands. If we do not speak for Earth, who will? If we are not committed to our own survival, who will be?" -Carl Sagan
dollerspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2002, 23:47   #25
isuck@shoutcast

Bullshit..bullshit..bullshit..bullshit..(sorry its just a quote from a cartoon in killfrog.com) i dont mean anything agaisnt you and im not saying your wrong, but in my opinion, yea the graphics were blocky on the ps1 but the games were the best. wwf smackdown 1 and 2 easily beat wrestlmania and no mercy as it was a kot faster and the graphics actuualy did look a bit better. now the ps2 has come out, its still got the great games WITH better graphics and speed.

well thats my opinion, i have nothing agaisnt you even with the "bullshit" thing
Old 25th July 2002, 23:59   #26
chiquita chad
Forum King

definitely PS3... i cant wait for it to come out. hell i cant wait for grand theft auto:miami to come out. i bet GC and Xbox are good consoles. they just dont have the games PS2 has. plus PS2 plays all of the classics for PS one.

also Xbox and GC are bringing me down. Kill whitey

Artist Track
chiquita chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2002, 02:22   #27
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

ive read at more than one source that sony is doing research in network processing in an attempt to make ps3 100 or 1000 (cant remember which) times as powerfull as the ps2. the only other example of network processing being medical research i believe. the next xbox will be out before or on 2005 or 2006 (cant remember which.)

>>useless spewing of rumor based nonsence. grand theft auto vice city will be based in the 80's and will allow you to jack motor bikes helicoptors and planes (all based upon rumors) it will let you go into buildings and amass gangs. it has been in development (supposedly) since a year before gta3

personaly i dont ally myself or hold favortisim to any and im thuroughly glad that they all exist for my possible enjoyment. xbox is koo cause you can play your own music in games and since is based mostly on a computer will be easy to emulate to. ive already seen some n64 emulators in the early stages of development for xbox. i appretiate the game cube prolly only because the first system i played was a nes and have had an snes and 64 but possibly also because its game dedicated, loyal, and that its easy to devolp for. sony seems to be money greedy; ps2s break really easy, they only have two controllers, and they stayed 300 bucks for a really long time compared to the other two.

side note: i think oprah has allied with microsoft. hmm forgive me for i clearly have lost where i was trying to go with all this.(sleep deprivation)

Last edited by Omit Name; 26th July 2002 at 02:44.
Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2002, 02:25   #28
Bizznatch
Forum King

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&term=gamecube
Old 26th July 2002, 03:01   #29
Omit Name
mostly harmless
Major Dude

::TrueEntertainment::

Omit Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2002, 03:06   #30
Bizznatch
Forum King

Re: ::TrueEntertainment::

Quote:
Originally posted by Omit Name
Paddleballs are fun, just replace the ball with a female
Old 26th July 2002, 04:56   #31
Nofx Guy
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Nofx Guy
i agree consoles are fun to an extent .. but i still love my pc.. and since i work at a computer store i get all the uber leet parts for an uber cheap price.. so i can always upgrade my box!

ex --> i just bought a gf4 ti4400 but i already have my name down for a radeon 9700 :P , hey if its "cheap" and i can afford it, might aswell have the best eh?

www.audioflo.ath.cx
All music, All the Time
Nofx Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2002, 05:29   #32
henry3k56
Forum King

How about a Compaq Ellipse game console? I saw one in the trashcan the other day.

henry3k56 | Summer is here.
My Flickr Page & Frontierra | Posting Since September 2001.
henry3k56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2002, 06:52   #33
LawnGnome2005
Major Dude

This makes me want to get the Intellivision out of the closet. But, back on subject, I personally think i will buy an Xbox 2. It will hopefully be the most powerful machine when it is released in 2005. I have both Xbox and PS2 right now, and they are both great consoles. Xbox has the best graphics and is the most powerful, by far. But PS2 has a lot of great games. Also may I add that Gamecube is actually not "that" bad of a system. Although it seems it is directed at a younger audience, some of the games are amazingly fun. I bought one just for the Resident Evil series, and I can't wait for Metroid to come to it. OK enough talking, im gonna go play Intellivision!

LawnGnome2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2002, 11:30   #34
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

ownz
coleco vision, nintendo, super nintendo, new nintendo, game boy pocket, game boy advance, nintendo 64, sega game gear, sega genisis, sega dream cast, xbox

might get a sega CD or saturn

sega is not dead. they are making games for all three consoles. they are more alive than ever. instead of competing they are cooperating

about that sega cd thing. emulator. and use your cdrom drive.

I'm Back?
Old 26th July 2002, 14:57   #35
DJ ANTarctic

Send a message via ICQ to DJ ANTarctic
I hear Play Station Three is already in development.

"I am not responsible for the mood I am in today. Please direct all complaints to Mr. William Gates." ............
If you can read this, email me: little_nicky_nz@hotmail.com
DJ ANTarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2002, 17:32   #36
capitan3
Major Dude

Pc and game consoles are give a total diffrent effect, i have an x-box
and love it, easy to play lets me relax, the pc on the other hand has more violence and i guess demands more attention. but i guess i will always have 2 my pc and a game console.

Capitan3
capitan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2002, 17:43   #37
isuck@shoutcast

games consoles are some ways better then pc. for example, you know a game is gonna work on a game console but if you've bought a game for the pc that you know would work on your pc because it says so, when you get home to install it there can be problems like for some reason windows will get bored and decide to shut it down cos its preforming an "illegal" operation (that really gets on my nerves) or it crashes or you dont have direct x8.1 or theres a file missing. i know its not really the computers fault (even though i kick it and say how shit it is when i get far on a game without saving and it crashes) but its better knowing that it will work when you turn on the playstation (unless its 5 years old like mine so thye laser is f**ked and the cd's look as if a bear has scratched them). overall, i'd say games consoles will never beat pc's, but pc's are no way near of beating games consoles. about 9 out of 10 pc's will have a load of crap installed on it and at least one program working on it. get me? there both equal.
Old 27th July 2002, 02:30   #38
CrowbarTK Hullo
Major Dude

i'm not gonna buy anymore, i already have my lovely PS2 *glomps PS2* ^_^; eheh....i will most likely buy PS3 when it comes out (2005?), as if heard it has about 1000x the power od PS2 *drools at the very thought* *,* Also, in my opinion, the Playstion consoles have are the best. i doubt a N54 or Gamcube game could take me off my PC for a week or so. XD

[edit]D'OH....i thought the poll answers wre PS2, Xbox & Gamecube, not PS3, etc. X_x im a baka ^^; hwee.
CrowbarTK Hullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2002, 02:40   #39
liquidmotion
Smokes Two Joints
Beta Team

Send a message via ICQ to liquidmotion
Quote:
Originally posted by rm'
While computers may be more powerful, consoles have their place. They are much cheaper, and significantly easier to use. If you just want to relax after a hard day's work, you don't have to worry about booting up your OS, installing a game, configuring, and then finally getting to play. You just pop in the game disk, and start playing immediately. They are not designed to replace computers, so don't treat them like they are.
troo that, words of a true american haha

plus, multiplayer games are much better on console (read "my previous post about (xbox*3+halo)").

For a good time: shup | stashbox | my homepage
liquidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2002, 04:47   #40
tjb2004
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to tjb2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
Also, its not neccesary to upgrade video cards every 8 months. Im sure a geforce4 ti4600 would still be a respectable card to own in 2 years time.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! GOOD ONE!

And keep in mind that PS2 (which is far superior) came out before X-box.
tjb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Games Center