Old 3rd August 2010, 18:36   #1
D.Dave

Error opening winamp

Hi guys, yesterday when my bro leave the pc, he forget to close aimp2, but i didn't close it. Then i proceed to open Winamp because i prefer it, but when winamp opens theres happen an error with gen_msn_adv.dll like in this picture:

if i didn't close aimp2 the error continue happening one window ofhter one with the some trouble.
I want to know if one of you had this error, and knows how to fix or repair it. And hope you don't say me simply close aimp, beacause if i do it my bro can kick my ass
Thank you
D.Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:58   #2
DrO

removing gen_msn_adv.dll will most likely resolve any other issues you've been having as well as i'd expect it's getting confused with the fake Winamp window AIMP creates. also gen_msn_adv.dll seems to be buggy from what i'm seen with a quick google search.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 05:51   #3
D.Dave

Thank you for taking time in see this. This dll is used by winamp and aimp to show what im listening in msn. If i delete it i can't show what im listening. I think the conflict is that the same dll can't show two songs at a time, and heres the problem. I try to don't show what im listening in aim and see if solves the problem. Thank you
D.Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 05:59   #4
robdog2004
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to robdog2004 Send a message via Yahoo to robdog2004
as you say its a conflict with the programs going after the same dll
i dont know if copying the dll into both programs will help the case or if this is the cause
but it is worth a shot

thanks rob
(c)rob 2013 (picture & SN)

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
robdog2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 08:37   #5
DrO

i doubt that will work. with the error happening, it sounds more like the msn plug-in is trying to find a Winamp window, finds AIMP and then has issues as it's trying to access strings cross-process (without the required code to handle that all correctly) and so will crash. even if i'm wrong, something seems to be fundamentally wrong with the given msn plug-in.

-daz
Old 6th August 2010, 12:35   #6
robdog2004
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to robdog2004 Send a message via Yahoo to robdog2004
dont know which plugin that is out there that would correct this since personally i dont use msn messenger itself(i use a program called digsby which grabs a snapshot of the title name and then broadcasts it), also dont know if there is a official msn plugin.
good luck daz and dave trying to figure this out

thanks rob
(c)rob 2013 (picture & SN)

(please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having
robdog2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 12:41   #7
DrO

well there's not much which can be done other than using a different msn now playing plug-in as gen_msn_adv.dll is obviously buggy and i'd guess it's not supported anymore by the original author (as happens so often with the msn plug-ins).

only thing is to find either an update for it or use an alternative - no idea on that as i don't use such things (i annoy people enough without spamming my music choices at them, hehe).

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
aimp2, error, open, trouble, winamp