Old 20th December 2006, 12:03   #1
asdfgh

Best parametric eq for WinAmp?

Hi

Let's start from the wrong end

What is the absolutely best graphical parametric equalizer plugin (with possible accompanying audio editing suite) that works with WinAmp? Requirements: Top equalized sound quality from 25Hz to 20kHz, precise and reproducible adjustments, preset saving and all the goodies?

It's going to be used for some room eq (the want) for WinAmp and for my audio cleaning needs (the need).

Yes, I would love Waves Q10 for all that, but it doesn't seem to work with my VSS-only-capable NLE or Wavelab and thus it would be a bit pricey for WinAmp alone

As is obvious, the eq doesn't need to be cheap.
asdfgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 16:10   #2
asdfgh

Most eq's I have found are useless. They only let me adjust ranges such a 0-64Hz or 64-128Hz.

Do I really need to get a hardware equalizer to remove just 40Hz, for example?

If nobody knows a good software eq, then what's your preferred device?
Old 21st December 2006, 21:07   #3
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

you could use a professional vst dsp of some kind (with a winamp vst wrapper plugin)

that would work well.

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=146317
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 09:47   #4
tman77

One of the highest quality EQ's that I've found is Anwidasofts GEQ15V. With my Emu 1212m sound card and this Eq I get some smoooooth sound. You could use winamp vst bridge plugin or a program like
Minihost with the vst version of GEQ15V.
tman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 07:15   #5
asdfgh

Found!

I found lots of excellent equalizers at the kvraudio.com site.

I actually liked Anwida softs parametric PEQ1V more than their "graphical" GEQ... The parametric one is easier to use. One thing to note though, is that the Acon "Studio Necessities" bundle is a) cheaper and b) has eq, limiter and compression. And it looks sweet on Vista. BlueCats eq looks beautifull too, but Acon has more features and I like the fresh blue color theme more. Take a look at these. Oh, you pay for quality...

I tried the free version of Electri-Q also and it is very good (and ugly). It allows me to add just as many notches as I want and it has a great graph and all the flexibility I will ever need. Lot's of options though - maybe too many - and hence more complicated, but I just love the power. A problem solving tool, perheaps?

My favorite though is Izotope Ozone MP because it has
a) a modeled valve equalizer
b) a tube amplifier with bass compression, tube limiter and tube saturation.
Together these make a wonderfull change in my music. I like the eq presets. The free version comes with a few good eq curves, but you have to pay for full functionality. If you plan on using bass boost, then take a look at the bass compression. It worker wonders on my flac-files. Very much recommended!

Ps. get the free FFX-4DX plugin rack (for example) to test these. Or maybe the equally free Acon effect chainer (heven't tried it yet)?
Old 30th January 2008, 22:58   #6
bemymonkey

Re: Found!

Is there a way to get the EQs from the link above working for ALL sound in Windows XP? I'm a short way away from getting a hardware parametric EQ to tighten up my bass and EQ out the highs reflecting off all the glass in my room, but I wouldn't mind doing it in software if it'll save me a few bucks.

If that's not possible - do any of those EQs work with Winamp? I downloaded a few, but none of 'em had instructions for use with Winamp (and just copying the dlls into Winamp's plugin folder didn't work... just had to try :P). I managed to get one fired up in Cubase, but what the hell, I have more than enough EQ options there already...

Anyone know their way around this?

Weeeeeeeeeeee
bemymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 01:35   #7
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

Re: Re: Found!

Quote:
Originally posted by bemymonkey
Is there a way to get the EQs from the link above working for ALL sound in Windows XP? I'm a short way away from getting a hardware parametric EQ to tighten up my bass and EQ out the highs reflecting off all the glass in my room, but I wouldn't mind doing it in software if it'll save me a few bucks.
no, not that I know of.

Quote:
Originally posted by bemymonkey
If that's not possible - do any of those EQs work with Winamp? I downloaded a few, but none of 'em had instructions for use with Winamp (and just copying the dlls into Winamp's plugin folder didn't work... just had to try :P). I managed to get one fired up in Cubase, but what the hell, I have more than enough EQ options there already...

Anyone know their way around this?
use the vst plugin I posted above and load your vst plugins into it. (go to the plugin preferences-->right click --> load dll)
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 11:58   #8
bemymonkey

Ooooooh ok. Thanks Rocker!

Weeeeeeeeeeee
bemymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 19:23   #9
Dom Sabalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
Is there a way to get the EQs from the link above working for ALL sound in Windows XP?
Well, at least there is now! Take a look at DDMF Virtual Audio Stream.

Cheers

Ps.: hello everybody, this is actually my first post...albeit I registered in 2004...
Dom Sabalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion