Old 21st June 2014, 21:20   #1
jimstrider

MPG Video Listed in Audio Library, Not Video

Hello:

Using Winamp Pro 5.666, I added an MPG video file. Unfortunately, it appears in the Audio tab of the library rather than the video tab.

The MPG extension is configured in the "in_directshow.dll", along with AVI, which file type does appear properly in the video tab of the library.

I cannot find any other configuration point to correct this categorization problem.

Does anyone have advice on where I can configure Winamp to display MPG (mpeg) files in the video tab of the library?

Thanks!
jimstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:45   #2
DrO

you really need to provide an info tool report (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins) as in_directshow.dll is not a known plug-in (unless you're referring to in_dshow.dll ?).

as everything associated via in_dshow will be reported as video unless the file(s) are being determined to not have a video aspect in the file(s). so maybe the files are badly encoded or something else or you've got a different plug-in handling things which would also explain it.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 05:47   #3
jimstrider

Yes, I should have typed "in_dshow.dll"; the DirectShow dynamic link library.

FWIW, Winamp plays the video file just fine. It simply shows up in the wrong library tab, that is Audio, rather than Video.
Old 24th June 2014, 10:59   #4
DrO

then it's most likely it's being incorrectly reported by the file and ideally we could do with a small example file which shows the issue to try to use it to determine what is / isn't going on.
Old 25th June 2014, 06:01   #5
jimstrider

I guess that puts us in an awkward state. The file in question is 1.21GB. Not exactly small. Going to try converting to wmv and see if that gets filed properly. Thanks for your help.
Old 26th June 2014, 05:47   #6
jimstrider

The conversion to a wmv file enabled Winamp to integrate the video properly into the library's video tab.

Reply posted to benefit anyone else who might experience the same issue.

I do not know why the mpg version appeared in the audio tab instead of the video tab.
Old 26th June 2014, 10:42   #7
DrO

i think that seems to almost confirm my suspicion that the original file is not reporting it has video in it (why i don't know). maybe i should do something to add a force override option to ensure everything is treated as video, but will have to have a think / see if i can find anything which shows the same issue to track down if our existing handling is correct or not.
Old 26th June 2014, 21:37   #8
MarkRH

One thing you could do is add your own Smartview and a series of if "FILENAME contains .mpg" or "FILENAME contains .wmv" and so on. I did that to create a view that only has MP3, OGG, and ACC files in it. I have another view that just has MOD files and another view that just has MIDI files.

I just realized.. I have no video files in Winamp. Never bothered adding any to the library on this system.

Is Winamp basing its audio/video detection based on the file's extension, header information, or if detects an audio or video stream within the file? Technically you can make a AVI or FLV file without the video part.
MarkRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 21:40   #9
DrO

a bit of everything you said.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support