Old 25th February 2008, 03:58   #1
larsonmars

3 Problems with Winamp 5.52

Hello Winamp friends,

I have some problems with Winamp 5.52 which finally made me use 2.95 now.

1. Winamp eats 150MB when it starts. Even when there is nothing to do for it.

2. Winamp sometimes won't quit properly. The GUI disappears but the process remains. I have to kill it with the Task Manager. However, it can be started again and again, yielding in multiple instances each eating 150MB of ram.

3. Winamp starts very slow compared to 2.95. I counted 3 to 6s for Winamp5.52 even though it had been started before and should have been prefetched by XP. (Winamp 2.95 is < 1s). I'd say this is related to the memory thing.

These three problems make Winamp 5.52 unsuitable for being the application to open when I double click on some media file.

My Winamp uses only those plugins that came with the installation. I deactivated the Winamp Agent and the new skin support.

My PC is a AMD X2 3800+ 1GB Ram. OS is Windows x64

Thank you in advance!
Old 25th February 2008, 04:31   #2
net-cruizer

Well my Memory usage shows in kilobytes I guess, so it's like 10,000k, which I would imagin is somethin like 10 megs.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's much anyways.
And I have tons of plugins installed, Bento running too.
Running, Winamp is usually around 15,000k and uses 0 to 10 in CPU column, averaging usually only 5 while playing.
No probs with GUI though. And I say maybe this Winamp does take a second more to start than old versions, but it should with the modern skins I guess.

I'm runnin Athlon64 3500+ with 512 MB of RAM
Old 25th February 2008, 04:49   #3
larsonmars

Well, what is your OS, maybe it is related to x64. Process Explorer states: Private Bytes: 149.084K and Virtual Size 250.556K, with a Working Set of 156.488K. Another thing is, that there is quite a lot of I/O activity. After 3mins running without playing task manager states that 14MB have been read and it increases constantly. This is unusual behavior. Winamp 2.95 is about 8MB here and remains at 12k I/O bytes other.

May be someone with Windows x64 or Server 2003 could post some experience here.

Greetings!
Old 25th February 2008, 05:44   #4
net-cruizer

Oh sorry, I missed that part about your OS being 64bit, or it just didn't register, lol.
(I'm just runnin regular ol' XP x86)
Yeah, ya never know, could be an issue with 64bit OS. Hopefully some other people, runnin 64bit respond to this post then.
Old 25th February 2008, 09:34   #5
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

i'd say you have bad third party plugins and you didn't read the faq.

you can save a lot of memory usage and loading times by using classic skins.(so it looks like winamp 2.95)

the new winamp is not as quick but it is much less buggy and has HEAPS more features.

windows 95 runs fast on a modern computer but that doesn't mean its better than xp.

i've been using x64 for years.

this is not a bug report thread.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports