Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama

Old 8th July 2003, 07:49   #1
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Are albums becoming obsolete? How do you listen to your music?

Most of you must have playlists containing 1,000's of tracks. Do you still listen to a new album repeatedly for a week, or do you hive-off the best tracks more-or-less straight away and add them to playlists??????

I do the latter, I take the tracks I like and add them to a playlist. Thus the album itself hasn't much relevance. Playlists are becoming so large it's like having your own personal radio station.

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
Cylob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2003, 11:38   #2
apollos
Forum King

I bought Michelle Branch's album Hotel Paper yesterday, I listened to the CD all day, then ripped it to my PC so I can keep the CD in good condition.

If there is a better sound system I have access to, I will use the CD I bought to play the better sound quality music or I will go round and rip the CD for other people, the world deserves to hear Michelle Branch.

So I'm half and half with you on that thought, albums to an extent are collecting dust in my perdy cd rack thing I built, but if by some freak accident, my pc exploded and the cds that I backed up all my mp3s too also exploded, where would I turn to? eh? eh?
apollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2003, 12:28   #3
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Ohhh interesting question.

I have two systems of playback on the go.....

At home, I have a 20gb laptop to which I'm ripping all my audio CD's to, very slowly I might add,for the purpose of this post, we'll call this machine "audio laptop", this is hooked into the main hifi system at home, I wanna listen to a CD I bring up the playlist on the laptop, switch on the amp and hit go, ultimately my whole CD collection will be on there, space permitting. CD collection will then be archived away in the loft.

New stuff that I download or "aquire" goes onto my regular laptop that I use for everyday stuff,surfing, working etc etc. I tend to listen to stuff on there untill I'm bored of it, at that point it get's shuffled over to the other machine, I currently have about 300 or so MP3's on this "regular laptop".

If I'm on the move, I usually carry a selection of tracks and stuff on my portable, usualy just enuff to get me to work and back, couple of CD's worth, I just pick and choose what I want from either machine and squirt it to the portable via the USB.
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2003, 12:59   #4
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Mr Jones, surely you can't move Soul Mining to the attic????

Old 8th July 2003, 13:11   #5
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I use the term attic metaphoricaly, or however it's spelt..

I do have to however at some point box up some discs, since the g/f moved in last year, the CD count has doubled in size,while sadly the floor space to store these ever increasing stacks hasn't.

So something has to give...

The other option I have been considering is to buy a new CD/DVD/MP3 disc player seperate to slot into my hifi stack, as I tend to make CD backups of all my MP3's as I go along, I've got a healthy stack of those as well. I'd then reduce my say 400 + cd's down to only a handfull of MP3 discs. That's something else that I may do, if only I could find a spare week or two to get organised and sit down and attack it all in one go, rather than pissing around doing a bit here, a bit there..
Old 8th July 2003, 13:48   #6
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

I have the same considerations. I've got 600 dusty CD's in gargantuan racks, arranged nicely by A-Z of artist. It'd be a shame to dismantle the lot and box it. Not only would it leave 1,000,000 drill-holes exposed, it'd be saying farwell to a large part of my life.

But that's the way it's going, I haven't played a CD for almost 2 years. They are obsolete. I can't complain though, having MP3's (and the means to acquire them) is a dream come true.

Old 8th July 2003, 14:03   #7
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Are they only obselete however because you have found alternative methods of getting your music?

Personally speaking, I have bought, lemme see, maybe half a dozen CD's since I discovered online music, that was back in what, 2000?

Lemme see if I can recall....
Bought 2 CD's for Xmas pressies for other people
Bought the last Steroid Maximus disc, this was a birtday request of mine last year, but the damd disc didn't come out until the day after my birthday, so I ended up with a HMV voucher to cash in for it instead
Bought thethe 45rpm album, mainly because his music is actually worth buying, and it goes nice with my other collection of thethe discs, I however snagged this off ebay for a fiver...
Bought the g/f two cd's she'd been nagging me for , mainly cos she wanted to take them on holiday with her, and I didn't have the time ,or inclination to go downloading...

And I think that is it, who said on line music isn't killing the industry heh
Old 8th July 2003, 14:39   #8
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
Are they only obselete however because you have found alternative methods of getting your music?
It's not so much getting the music (although downloading for free is nice), it's the fact that MP3's are far more convenient to use. The PC is the perfect tool for arranging music.

The last CD I bought was Ladytron/604, that was in October 2001. The irony is, it was also the first full album I'd downloaded from AGS. I downloaded it, liked it and bought the CD.

The next day I downloaded 2 albums by The Faint. I liked them and looked for the CD's in town, without avail. So I said sod it, from now on it's MP3's all the way. My CD buying days are long gone.

Old 8th July 2003, 15:14   #9
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

The only worry I have with all this, is technology marches onwards, and I'm conscious of the fact that I'm busy making masses of MP3 which will probably be obsolete or superseded by some other format in a couple of years, you can probably argue that they have been already with the variety of popular formats that are out there already, ogg etc etc.

The main reason I'm doing them to MP3 is because my taste in portable hardware has yet to jump onto the ogg bandwagon, but I'm pretty damd sure one day soon someone is gonna say "MP6 is the new lossless quality, squeeze your files into less than a mb worth of disc space format to be using." or, something like that, and I'm gonna be sat looking at gb's worth of files thinking, shall I re-encode them all again?

It's a bit like the VHS - DVD jump, or in my case it was VHS - Laserdisc - DVD, I've lost count of all films I've upgraded from one format to another.
Old 8th July 2003, 15:27   #10
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

I haven't the same fears. MP3's will never become obsolete IMO. They're so widespread & dominant there'll be a need to access them in years to come. Not only that, it's a good format and not far off CD quality.

Take .wav & .bmp files - they're largely obsolete but still accessible with most apps. I think you'll still be able to access a .wav file in 20 years from now.

Old 8th July 2003, 15:30   #11
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jones
It's a bit like the VHS - DVD jump, or in my case it was VHS - Laserdisc - DVD, I've lost count of all films I've upgraded from one format to another.
Also, I don't think you can compare data with physical media. It's a different ball game. I tend not to buy DVD,s knowing full well I'll be owning a hd that contains 1,000s of high quality films. I give it 5 years.

Physical media's going down the toilet.

Old 8th July 2003, 17:09   #12
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

The point I was making was that there is always something better that people want to move to, hence teh VHS to DVD analogy, people always want the best format.

If tommrow something came out that let you get CD quality sound, minimum footprint, say under a mb per 4 minute song, was totaly free to the end user wouldnt you want to "upgrade" ?

It's the same with everything in life, everyone always wants the next best thing, it's the reason we have the likes of colour TV, playstation2 and ex wives, always on the look out for the next best thing on the horizon. The problem comes when you get the next best thing, be that an audio format or some other "thing", what do you do, do you take the plunge and upgrade, or do you simply say, "oh well, this format I have now will still be ok for a good few years, I'll stick with this".

If you are anything like myself, then you want the new toys all the time, I'd still be watching a scummy B&W portable TV from the 70's otherwise
Old 8th July 2003, 17:23   #13
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

By the time MP3's are superceded you'll have 1,000s & 1,000s. I doubt whether you'll have the time to start from scratch on a new format. May be a case of keeping what you have and using the new format for future music. As long as it all plays on the same software.

I'm a technofile and a perfectionist, but I'd never consider replacing the MP3's. It's taken months to sort them all out in Songs-DB.

Old 8th July 2003, 17:28   #14
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

True, true, although at somepoint I'm hoping for a neural implant that will enable me to upload all my audio/video directly into my head, so I can replay at leisure without disturbing anyone else..

Might have to add some extra memory sticks though to ensure there is enuff space....
Old 8th July 2003, 18:49   #15
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

I'm stuck in the past - much prefer listening to complete albums than selected tracks - I've got the radio for that...

But, even as mp3s, I've got playlists of each album. I could load all the mp3s up into Winamp, but I don't bother.
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2003, 02:39   #16
duet maxwell
Major Dudette

Quote:
Originally posted by Apollos
I bought Michelle Branch's album Hotel Paper yesterday, I listened to the CD all day, then ripped it to my PC so I can keep the CD in good condition.

If there is a better sound system I have access to, I will use the CD I bought to play the better sound quality music or I will go round and rip the CD for other people, the world deserves to hear Michelle Branch.

So I'm half and half with you on that thought, albums to an extent are collecting dust in my perdy cd rack thing I built, but if by some freak accident, my pc exploded and the cds that I backed up all my mp3s too also exploded, where would I turn to? eh? eh?
thats prettymuch me
duet maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2003, 05:51   #17
Mattress
Forum King

I still buy CDs, I'm one of those weird cases where my downloading of massive amounts of MP3s has caused me to actually buy more CDs than I ever did before I knew about MP3s. I buy CDs and listen to them in my car. I also burn CDs to listen in my car but I do like to support the artists that I really like. Plus with the obscure kinds of music that I like it is a pain in the ass to try to get a full album from a P2P. Better to buy the disc, IMO.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2003, 09:47   #18
astillac

Send a message via AIM to astillac
I buy CDs... The artists that produced the recording went through a small bit of hell in order to do so...

I rip the cd onto my hd after I buy it, but that's only for when I'm using the computer... which is a lot of the time. ^_^ At any rate, I'm a die-hard Walkman woman. Something things just can't be improved on. I mean, the skips, the batteries dying... The rushing to some obscure Walgreen's so you can replace said batteries... It's a nice, solid feeling. There's something in a record, or a tape, or a cd... some sort of reality. The music is really there, and what you do to mess up the media is what you're to hear. It's down to the whole cause and effect thing for me. There's just something impersonal about downloading just the songs you want. I mean, what in life is like that?"'Cuse me, big man? Yeah, um, I want to be incredibly intelligent, but, ya know, I don't really want the insecurites and alienation that comes with that, aight?"

Whoa sorry about that.
I had no idea I felt so passionately about this.
astillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2003, 15:34   #19
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

I still buy CDs. Nothing sounds better coming out of my stereo than a good old CD. I've also ripped most of the CDs I own to MP3 on this PC. I have a NetMD walkman, so I can transfer MP3's to that or re-rip them to the proprietary ATRAC-3 format. Using that format and MDLP4 recording, it takes just a few minutes to record about 5 hours of music in decent quality.

No, CD's aren't obsolete. Out of everyone I've ever met, two people use audio collections on their computer instead of physical media. I don't see audio CD's being replaced - to the extent they replaced tapes - for a long, long time yet.

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2003, 15:56   #20
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

CD's will stagger on for years, but the line on the graph's definitely going one way.

Old 9th July 2003, 16:07   #21
duet maxwell
Major Dudette

astillac, i actualy like fussing with the batteries on my portable cd player or walkman.. dunno why just do

though i like to download music so i can listen to it, i still get soem joy when i buy the actual cd by the artist.. the removing of the plastic rap, looking through the lil book that smells new..
*shrugs* the simple pleasures

Last edited by duet maxwell; 9th July 2003 at 16:23.
Old 9th July 2003, 16:18   #22
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Sure (is it Duet or Maxwell), but you're paying an awful lot for those simple pleasures.

I admit I miss the thrill of the packaged product. But it's a thing of the past now.

Old 9th July 2003, 16:26   #23
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

astillac - it's good to see ethical people still exist. I do have ethics myself, but not when it comes to music. People will still make music whatever happens. It's instinctive in humans.

Old 9th July 2003, 16:29   #24
duet maxwell
Major Dudette

(its Duet for short bot eather will do, i even get called Max)
i agree prices are very high , but it also depends where u shop, if u buy in the small music stores not located in big malls u might have a better chance of gettign a good deal, also i tend to buy cds long after they came out, so prices on those are always low ( unless they are very popular still)

u know the funny thing is that i can still buy a christian music group or singer cd for under 12 dollars and $15 at most
their prices havent gone sky high yet - true enough that it might not be the most best "socialy pupular" music and thats why no one messes on the price possably.. but still, goes to show that u can still make money and not raise the price up like hell, but music companies that focus on "popular music" figure since u are willing to pay more for their stuff , unlike christian stile music or foreign country stuff
wich seems to be in a pretty low price tag
interesting no?

sorry for kinda getting out of thread topic
Old 9th July 2003, 23:23   #25
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

It's not a thing of the past. You might be willing to give up CD's, but believe me when I tell you that puts you in a minority.

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2003, 07:56   #26
astillac

There's some awesome places around here to get CDs
If you buy them used, they already have a little character, you know?
Plus, they're like, 12, 15 bucks... Fair deal, for me.

I LOVE getting new CDs... When I first got a job, in 10th grade I think, the VERY first thing I bought was a used NIN cd from Dynasty Music... It's so awesome...

Yeah, the format might be going out of style, for convenice sake, but I know I still have a fat box of records... My parents kept them, because they have memories... Human are notorious for imprinting their memories on things...

(Eh, maybe I'm spoiled. When I was in the Army, the CDs at the PX were always 12.99.... hrmmm)
Old 10th July 2003, 09:46   #27
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

The thing is, you continue to buy CD's in the full knowledge they will have disappeared within a generation.

Start building your file-based library now, be a pioneer!!!! MP3's as a widespread format are less that 3 years old, and yet people have already made the switch.

To add a bit of weight to the argument - if you dispense with the disc & packaging you'll be using less of the erath's resourses.

Old 10th July 2003, 09:52   #28
astillac

I back up all my CDs... but... hmmm
I dunno, I just like the damn things.
Old 10th July 2003, 09:55   #29
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Cylob

To add a bit of weight to the argument - if you dispense with the disc & packaging you'll be using less of the erath's resourses.
That's a flimsy excuse

What about all the resources that are used in building all these file servers that the next generation of music collections will be housed on, or the gigaquads of power that will be consumed to power it all......

Find a more solid reason
Old 10th July 2003, 09:58   #30
astillac

Yeah!!!
*ducks*

No, really, how much packaging do you really throw away from a CD?
*and I buy used Cds whenever I can... that's better, right?*
Old 10th July 2003, 10:12   #31
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Very true astillac, used CD's don't contribute.

However I can't agree with you Mr Jones, I can get 24,000 tracks on a small 120gb HD (uses little power). Let me see - that's 2,400 full cds that won't be required. Alot of metals and paper there.

You could say, MP3's are materialism without much material.

Old 11th July 2003, 02:26   #32
Tarron_D
Major Dude

I figured i should add something to this. IMO, MP3's are very unreliable when placed in a computer. Why? If something were to happen to your pc, guess what, poof. All you music is gone. I can understand buying a cd, and ripping it, i do it myself. I have a problem with just downloading the thing, when you really like the artist and their music. I can understand a song or two, but an entire album? Not only are you getting a potentially crappy quality file, but the artist isn't gaining anything. A cd is mixed, and mastered to sound as good as it can, and will stay that way. Its when its ripped with a bad encoder, and placed on Kazaa that it becomes unacceptable. Why do you sacrifice the perfection that is a correctly mastered cd for a file that was butchered by MP3? I know, its free, but a full cd is much more fulfilling in my opinion. Maybe you can't tell the difference between a 128kbps mp3 and a cd, but i can, and i couldn't imagine living without cd's.

"If everything I didn't give a shit about died, the only thing that would be left would be me, my dick, and maybe some pizza!" -Two (Visit www.ranting-gryphon.com, it rocks.)
Tarron_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2003, 02:32   #33
astillac

Hehehh

Yay Tarron!! :woot:
Old 11th July 2003, 02:36   #34
Tarron_D
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by astillac
Hehehh

Yay Tarron!! :woot:

"If everything I didn't give a shit about died, the only thing that would be left would be me, my dick, and maybe some pizza!" -Two (Visit www.ranting-gryphon.com, it rocks.)
Tarron_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2003, 07:31   #35
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

I had 2 hard drive crashes (1 internal, 1 external), in the latter I lost 5,000 MP3's. That was a bad day. I've since recovered 90% of what I lost, and now everything's backed-up along the way.

So what I have now is a complete MP3 system (from acquring, storage/backup to playing). It's healthy to have the odd disaster. The only thing I don't have is time to listen to everything I acquire.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama