Old 14th February 2007, 13:22   #1
alex5

Shortcuts on Vista

What is the proper way to create shortcuts on Windows Vista ?
If I set 'RequestExecutionLevel admin', install is running as administrator and shortcuts are created for administrator not the currently logged in user.
If RequestExecutionLevel is set to user, then shortcuts are properly created, but you can't write to Program Files, write unistall registry key...

How can I create shortcuts for current user (SetShellVarContext is set to current) ?

Thanks

Alex

[edit] 08/05/07 - DrO
Please refer to http://nsis.sourceforge.net/UAC_plug-in for information and plugin regarding this thread
alex5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 15:31   #2
Takhir
Major Dude

I could reproduce this with "Standart User" account UAC not only elevates execution level, but changes user as well... Even desktop links created for UAC requested admin account.
Takhir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 22:35   #3
stb

I think this is a serious problem which should be handled by NSIS. Of course we could build wrapped installers where some are running as user and some as admin. But this will be some very basic problem with Vista in general.

Problems:
1. Registry: HKCU
2. User profile directory (shortcuts and more)
3. "Run ... now" on finish page (this is a small issue in XP too if the installer is run as admin there). This might be a problem for other (custom) ShellExec's, too.

Can NSIS change its execution level at runtime? Does anybody know what Vista does here?

I think the best solution would be to run as admin in general when RequestExecutionLevel admin is set but to make special handling for HKCU / shortcuts.

Could NSIS detect what user was active before elevating?
stb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 22:51   #4
Anders

No NSIS could not detect this, vista elevates before the actual process is started

IntOp $PostCount $PostCount + 1
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 00:54   #5
Anders

I'm developing a plugin that hopefully will help to deal with these Vista problems, its still "in Beta" so don't blame me if it doesnt work or blows up in your face (or all over your HD)

Checkout UAC_RealWorldExample (Known issue: Does not print to instfiles page log or any kind of success feedback when elevated)

http://stashbox.org/13537/UAC%20v0.0.5b.zip

IMHO The shortcut problem is not really a problem, when using RequestExecutionLevel admin it is a "All users" install, if you want to use RequestExecutionLevel user, you should write the uninstall entry in HKCU and install your files in $LOCALAPPDATA

Old 2nd March 2007, 09:35   #6
stb

I agree: short cut is no real problem, I think I will just disable the possibility to install them for "current user". I know of current user installs but this is not an option for most of my installers here.

I use HKCU to store some settings for the user who installs the application. E.g. the license text can be stored as "seen" for the use who read it during install. Other users will get it on first application start. And I store language settings and more for the installing user.

Thanks for the new plugin, is there some short documentation how the functions work (other than the examples)?

As far as I can see this works like:

- start in user mode
- elevate to admin mode (with error/retry handling)

Can I un-elevate (back to user mode)?
If yes, I guess re-elevating (elevating for the 2nd time) would require additional password entry.

It seems the current process is changed at run-time. What does change on elevation? Username? access rights? "current user" profile (NSIS vars?)

What about my Exec problem? Currently I would like to run the installer as admin (could be done by requestlevel user and elevating in .oninit) but make the run caused by the finish page checkbox ("run now ...") to run the app as original user.
Old 2nd March 2007, 13:21   #7
kichik
M.I.A.
[NSIS Dev, Mod]

The SAFER plug-in should solve the Exec problem. But if the user is switched and not elevated, you won't get the original user.

NSIS FAQ | NSIS Home Page | Donate $
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -- Confucius
kichik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 16:51   #8
Anders

There are no docs at this time, the exported functions have a little bit of text if you look in uac.cpp

You cant un-elevate once you have elevated (Well you could call UAC::Exec on yourself but that would be the same as a "current user" install)

This plugin should solve the Exec problem, use Process Explorer (Sysinternals/MS), turn on the User and Intergrity level columns and run the realworld example as a normal user elevating with a different admin account

What changes after elevation depends on whether UAC is on or off.

UAC on and the user is an admin (Split token):
Nothing really changes
UAC::IsAdmin returns 1 after elevation and 0 before
UAC::SupportsUAC returns 1
UAC::GetElevationType returns 3 before successfull elevation with RunElevated and 2 after

UAC off and the user is an admin:
Nothing really changes
UAC::IsAdmin returns 1
UAC::SupportsUAC returns 0
UAC::GetElevationType returns 1

User not member of admin group:
Everything changes (Username/Profile/HKCU part of registry)
UAC::IsAdmin returns 0 before elevation and 1 after
UAC::SupportsUAC return depends on whether UAC is on/off
UAC::GetElevationType again depends on UAC on/off
(NOTE: Vista seems totally broken in this configuration (IF UAC IS OFF), try right clicking on a .exe and choose "Run as administrator", nothing happens, in this case the plugin uses its own custom RunAs dialog)

on pre vista systems UAC::GetElevationType always returns 0

the UAC plugin can allow you to run in "current user" mode, if $0 == 1223 after UAC::RunElevated the user clicked cancel in the UAC/RunAs dialog (This is all up to the creator of the installer)

The SAFER plugin doesnt work very well on Vista, MS broke the SAFER api on this OS (It still works but the process will still run @ High integrity level)

Note: This is all from memory, i might have missed something

Old 2nd March 2007, 17:13   #9
stb

Thanks a lot, Anders.

Some questions:
Can you explain Exec a bit more? How does this work? Does this run the process with the original user (calling the installer)? How does UAC::Exec behave on Non-UAC-systems?

Does this help with RunAs (WinXP) or is RunAs with XP always independent from the original user (I guess this is the case, so maybe the "run now" on the finish page is bad for XP when RunAs (possibly) is used).

I'm trying to understand this (before testing/verifying).

You wrote: "in this case the plugin uses its own custom RunAs dialog"
What do you mean with this? How is the "run as dialog" correlated to NSIS here?
Old 2nd March 2007, 17:33   #10
Anders

Run process explorer, you can see two instances(processes) of your setup, one running as the user that started the setup and one running at high integrity level (and possibly as another user if the original user was not a member of the admin group) When you use UAC::Exec/ExecWait/ShellExec/ShellExecWait the 2nd elevated process will send a message to the original process telling it to start a process (uses WM_COPYDATA)

Running as admin on pre vista or admin with UAC off on vista will only use one process and UAC::Exec just calls CreateProcess without any trickery

EDIT: on win2000/xp it somewhat emulates the vista elevation, UAC::Exec will start a process as the original user
I guess you could use the SAFER plugin on xp so the process spawned at the finish page does not run as admin even if the real user is admin

UAC::RunElevated just does ShellExecute on itself using the runas verb (The documented way to get the uac dialog on vista) this also works on Win2k/XP except you get the old school runas ofcourse. If a non-admin user on vista with UAC off is detected, using runas with ShellExecute will not work at all so UAC::RunElevated uses its own dialog that emulates the pre vista runas instead

Last edited by Anders; 2nd March 2007 at 17:48.
Old 2nd March 2007, 18:08   #11
stb

Thanks Anders, I will try your plugin.
Old 4th March 2007, 16:46   #12
Anders

New version: http://stashbox.org/13698/UAC%20v0.0.5c.zip

IsAdmin can now handle a restricted token on <NT6, no other changes

Old 25th March 2007, 04:50   #13
Anders

New version: http://stashbox.org/15549/UAC%20v0.0.5d.zip

Fixed a bug in IsAdmin, please update

Old 31st March 2007, 12:49   #14
stb

@Anders: You call UAC::Unload in .oninstfailed/.oninstsuccess.
Is this necessary?

I use Quit in many places in my scripts (to abort the installer immediately) and this will not run those callbacks, so UAC::Unload will not run. Is it safe to Quit without "UAC::Unload"?
Old 31st March 2007, 13:29   #15
stb

Additional question: Does UAC::Unload harm if UAC plugin wasn't used/loaded before?
Old 31st March 2007, 15:21   #16
Anders

It will not crash if you dont call unload, but it will probably leave uac.dll in $pluginsdir so you will leave stuff behind in the users $temp dir. The only thing UAC::Unload does is to call FreeLibrary on itself so you should probably call it if possible. If you call Quit before you call any UAC function you dont need to unload (IsAdmin,SupportsUAC and GetElevationType is safe to use without unload, RunElevated and ExecCodeSegment is not)

Old 1st April 2007, 16:25   #17
stb

I could not try it myself (yet), what about error level return values? I use "set error level" within my script and the outer process should return those error level value, too (if set).
Old 2nd April 2007, 11:09   #18
stb

Ah, found it:

RunElevate returns
"r2 is the ExitCode of the elevated fork process (The NSIS errlvl is also set to the ExitCode)"
Old 2nd April 2007, 12:36   #19
stb

The plugin seems to work. Thanks, Anders!

UAC::GetElevationType and UAC::SupportsUAC return "0" for XP. But RunElevated supports RunAs dialog (nice feature). It would be nice to have functions UAC::GetRunAsType and UAC::SupportsRunAs so one can show some message to the user before the RunAs dialog is shown. Seems that at least SupportsRunAs is already implemented (but not exported to NSIS).
Old 2nd April 2007, 16:38   #20
Anders

UAC::GetElevationType and UAC::SupportsUAC return 0 on XP and below because those are Vista specific.

I think RunAs is supported on all NT systems (And it is not needed on 9x) atleast it works on w2k and up. I don't have a NT4 box to test on so im not sure. What would UAC::GetRunAsType do, tell you what kind of runas dialog you would get (Does it really matter)?

I like the idea of the messagebox before elevation (Even tho users will get used to the elevation on Vista), I could probably create something like UAC::SupportsRunAs

Old 2nd April 2007, 17:03   #21
stb

GetRunAsType could return "1" if this is the inner process. I currently check myself for "/UAC:" in CMDLINE. I have to do this because the MessageBox I show will appear twice if I show it always before RunElevated.

I don't really know whether GetElevationType will really return the state of "inner" or "outer" process (imagine outer user IS admin, even with UAC -- could be caused by automatic install scripts). So maybe GetRunAsType could be something like "IsInnerProcess"...

I simulate SupportsRunAs for now by checking the OS major version against "5". AFAIK NT4 does not have something like RunAs (at least "runas.exe" is only available with 2k/XP).
Old 2nd April 2007, 20:30   #22
Anders

You dont really need to know if you are the inner process or not, if IsAdmin returns 1 you are either already admin or the elevation has been performed

Old 3rd April 2007, 10:03   #23
onad

NT4 users should install and use the SU command from the NT Resource Kit.

"Just do it"
onad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 11:30   #24
stb

@Anders: I need to know. It is helpful anyway to know this, but if I don't detect this (inner process yes/no), I will show the warning message twice if the user logs in as non-admin in RunAs dialog (try for yourself; it took me some minutes to detect what was going on there).
Old 3rd April 2007, 15:32   #25
Anders

ah ok, just look for "/UAC" then utill I can get a new version out

Old 3rd May 2007, 19:20   #26
FrozenFire

Downloaded your pluggin today to try to fix some exec problems i've been having in vista. I ended up making an function to install files in restricted areas and calling it to run in ellivated mode, but it didn't work, instead producing an error when the installer tried to write to the secured area.
FrozenFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 21:04   #27
stb

Post code here for help.

UAC plugin works fine for me. One important thing to know is that the whole installer will run elevated (or not), so you cannot have a single function run elevated and the rest unelevated (you would have to do this manually).
Old 4th May 2007, 13:37   #28
MarcOfChaos

Hello,

I am trying to make an installer which runs with "RequestExecutionLevel user".

During the installation process the user can select whether he just wants to execute or install the software. If he wants to install the software I use UAC::RunElevated to restart the installer with all necessary tokens. This works fine if the current user is an admin.
When I try it with an ordinary user the RunAs Dialog is dispalyed but the second program is not executed.

RunElevated returns a value of 6 which is (to my knowledge) the error code for a missing handle.

Any ideas what is happening there?
MarcOfChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 14:51   #29
Anders

Could you post some example script with this problem?

Old 7th May 2007, 08:25   #30
MarcOfChaos

Hello Anders,

Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately a code snippet will not be of much help.
I only call UAC::RunElevated when logged in as a domain user in Win Vista.

But the thing gets even stranger: I tested the installer from my desktop. When I copy the same installer to some other folder (e.g. \programms) UAC::RunElevated runs perfectly (RunAs Dialog is being displayed and the installer is restarted with the correct privileges). Btw: It also does not work when I run it under \users.
Maybe it is some kind of special virtualization with Vista.
Any ideas what is causing this?
Old 7th May 2007, 15:19   #31
Anders

I have no idea whats going on, and I don't have a domain setup to test with (I don't even have a Vista install to test on ATM)

Old 7th May 2007, 16:07   #32
MarcOfChaos

FYI:
I did some further research (trial and error...).
The error has nothing to do with whether the user is in a domain or not.
It just seems that CreateProcessWithLogonW does not work when the installer is in a user related folder (e.g. Desktop, Documents, etc.). If I copy the installer to some other place (e.g. Programms, Public, etc.) the installer works just fine.
I added some messageboxes to the uac.dll but CreateProcessWithLogonW did not give me any errors.
Old 7th May 2007, 19:37   #33
helix400

Quote:
Originally posted by MarcOfChaos
But the thing gets even stranger: I tested the installer from my desktop. When I copy the same installer to some other folder (e.g. \programms) UAC::RunElevated runs perfectly (RunAs Dialog is being displayed and the installer is restarted with the correct privileges). Btw: It also does not work when I run it under \users.
Maybe it is some kind of special virtualization with Vista.
Any ideas what is causing this?
I just tested it on my Vista machine.

I ran my installer on a limited Vista user account. If I ran it from a non-user folder, I got the Run As dialog. I put in the Administrator name and password, which Windows accepted. But my NSIS/UAC plugin code reported that admin access is required.

When I moved it to the users desktop folder, I received the error 6 as you mentioned.

Last edited by helix400; 7th May 2007 at 20:13.
helix400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 21:21   #34
Anders

Please describe your exact setup (Vista SKU, UAC on or off, type of user, exact directory it fails in)

Try this debug build: http://stashbox.org/19884/UAC.dll and watch the (unhelpful?) debug output with DebugView ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...debugview.mspx )

Are you sure the problem is with CreateProcessWithLogonW? you could comment out #define FEAT_CUSTOMRUNASDLG in uac.h to disable that code, but in my experience, Vista does nothing if you call ShellExecute(0,"runas") if the current user is not in the admin group and UAC is off (thats why I had to call CreateProcessWithLogonW in the first place)

Old 7th May 2007, 22:41   #35
helix400

Anders,

Your reply seemed to be directed at MarcOfChaos, but with your blessings, I'd like to help do what I can on this problem as well. I would really like to get this plugin working. Prior to receiving said blessings, I'm going to help anyways.

Attached is a .zip file containng two log files generated from DebugView.

Setup:
Vista SKU - Vista Home Premium
UAC is on
User - A Standard User (I named my standard user account "Peon")

standarduser_regularfolder.LOG is an example of me trying to run your UAC_AdminOnly sample from my C:\download\nsis\ folder. I put in my info into a Run As dialog, it said it needed admin access, so I tried again, it said it needed admin access, so I clicked cancel, and received the NSIS script message that it's aborting.

standarduser_userfolder.LOG is an example of me trying to run your UAC_AdminOnly sample from my C:\Users\Peon folder. I put in my admin info into the Run As dialog. I then got 2 message boxes (if you want the message box info, let me know...it was something about line 53 and line 60 i think), then the NSIS script gave the error: "Unable to elevate , error 6"

One last thing. I went into the log files and changed my actual password to simply "password". I don't want you seeing my real password :P
Attached Files
File Type: zip uacdebug.zip (1.6 KB, 714 views)
Old 7th May 2007, 23:14   #36
Anders

Hm, when UAC is on, you are not supposed to get my runas dialog, but the normal vista elevation dialog. My detection for this must be messed up. Would be great if you could drop by the nsis irc channel so I could create some test builds for you

or try http://stashbox.org/19898/UAC.dll

Last edited by Anders; 7th May 2007 at 23:35.
Old 8th May 2007, 00:14   #37
helix400

Anders,

I'd be happy to test that out and jump int the IRC channels to help you out (I really appreciate the time you're putting into this).

But for now, I have to go. I've got tickets to the Utah Jazz vs. Golden State Warriors Game 1.

(Also, I just double checked to verify UAC was on. When I ran a normal NSIS installer on my standard user account, I did get a UAC dialog asking for an administrators password.

When I ran a NSIS installer with your UAC plugin under the same user account, I did get the Run As dialog.)
Old 8th May 2007, 08:06   #38
MarcOfChaos

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply. I am currently a little busy (who is not? )
Find attached the logfiles and error messages of the 2 debug builds.

I tested on Win Vista Ultimate with activated UAC.
Just like helix400 I changed the passwords and usernames.
Attached Files
File Type: zip logfiles.zip (21.9 KB, 576 views)
Old 8th May 2007, 15:10   #39
stb

Hi Anders, I have three improvement suggestions:

1. The built-in RunAs-dialog for Vista is english only. This dialog should be "multi-language" (e.g. by loading text strings from some ini file in $PLUGINSDIR).

2. Currently we do not a RunAs-dialog which allows all users etc. We always want the user to login using an admin account. So the dialog might be changed: other texts, maybe a combo box where (local?) admin usernames are pre-filled etc. The "current user" setting (radio selection) seems quite useless here.

3. The XP/2000-RunAs-dialog is not optimal for installers because it has worse defaults. A good own dialog (see points 1 and 2) for Vista could be used for XP/2000, too. The dialog should mention the need for elevation (so we do not need a messagebox with explaining texts before).
We just need some text explaining why this dialog appeared and what the user is expected to do, a possibility to enter a username (Administrator account should be preselected) and a password input field.
Old 8th May 2007, 15:16   #40
stb

Just an idea: I don't know whether the system RunAs-dialog in Windows 2000/XP supports other authentication methods than password. Think of a fingerprint reader...
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > NSIS Discussion