Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Old 24th November 2014, 22:07   #1
MRGrp

Managing / Banning certain IPs connecting to the audio streams

Hello,

We have a Linux/CentOS 64 bit server with Centova Cast installed and several web radio stations all belonging to us. We use SHOUTcastDNAS 2.2.1.

Recently we have been searching (without success) for a functional smart/automated solution managing/banning IPs having certain behaviors.

To be a little bit more specific, we would like to be able to ban IPs when listeners use stream rippers, when hackers make 100 connections or more at once from the same IP, and if possible also ban IPs staying connected continuously for let us say 24 hours or more, etc.

We found an old application (R.I.P.) that seems not to beworking anymore.

I will be very thankful if the forum members give us some suggestions; perhaps there are other solutions/software out there doing this job?

Thank you.

Best regards
MRGrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 22:24   #2
DrO

you've missed out some of what you posted on another forum re: banning issues with the current DNAS which i'm not aware off being an issue. as whatever solution needs the DNAS to work correctly and afaik none of the banning options are not working in the current builds - do you have more information relating to that issue ?
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 08:42   #3
MRGrp

Hello DrO, thank you for your message.

We have witnessed the banning issue with the latest DNAS 2.4.2 build 167 (64 and x86) that we are NOT using at the moment, as we rolled back to version 2.2.1 which is working fine in our platform. I think I mentioned this in the thread you mentioned above?

So, in the now re-mounted DNAS 2.2.1 the banning features are again working fine.

The DNAS version 2.4.2 had a very nice feature allowing to ban some "agents" (e.g. known stream ripper software) which is not available in the DNA ver. 2.2.1 .

What we are looking for is, as said at the beginning of this thread, something similar to what the old R.I.P. was offering, and also we are really eager to find out how to ban automatically connections lasting for more than a certain number of hours.

Thank you!

Best regards.
Old 25th November 2014, 11:44   #4
DrO

I cannot replicate any issues with the banning functionally so if you're saying its broken in 2.4.2 then we're at another impasse as there's nothing I can find which is broken with it.

there is no functionality to automatically ban clients in the manner you're wanting and is something you'd need to script as the DNAS can provide the information needed for determining what you want to detect and then allows you to script banning.

the nearest you can get from native DNAS functionality is using listenertime to limit how long a client is allowed to be connected.
Old 25th November 2014, 21:16   #5
MRGrp

Thank you DrO,

Would you please further elaborate how to implement the "listenertime" functionality? And once disconnected, can the listener re-connect to the stream?
If it is equivalent to a "kick", I believe that we have already tried it from Centova Cast, but many listeners and rippers just re-connect again automatically after just 2 seconds. In this case they just suffer 2 seconds disconnection and then are allowed again to remain connected for let us say 12 hours, which is not helping a lot.

-- Can you please confirm if the earlier mentioned automated banning software called R.I.P. cannot really work with the new DNAS?
Perhaps we are doing something wrong?
If it cannot work with the new DNAS, it would be great to know if there is a way to make it work again!

Thank you again.
Old 25th November 2014, 21:39   #6
DrO

listenertime (as per the DNAS docs) will kick listeners once they've been connected for the time specified, so like an auto-kick option.

i have never heard of any software called R.I.P. so i have no idea what it does or how it interacts with the DNAS.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Tags
automated, banning, connection, manage