Old 4th May 2007, 14:39   #1
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Spider Man 3...Best Romantic Comedy of The Year?

Well, I saw Spider Man 3 last night/this morning. Waste of my six bucks. The first hour and a half was no more than a romantic comedy. The alien makes him your stereotypical emo kid, he does some silly things that made us all laugh, and that's pretty much it. Speaking of his emo-ness, how do we know when the "bad suit" is in control of him? Well it's simple. His hair turns black, and he makes his bangs go in front of his eyes. I'm not joking. The big "turning point" scene involves him walking past a mirror or store window, I don't remember which, the movie was that uneventful, and he looks at himself, and he deftly moves his bangs from tidy, do sloppily in front of his eyes. What was I guess supposed to be a "dramatic" moment only made the entire audience bust up laughing. What made it all the more hilarious was the seriousness with which "Peter" move his hair. Maybe they were going for the satire, but all they got was ridiculous.

There was 3 minute action sequence at the very start that didn't really do much more than make you not leave out of hopes there would be another. Little did I know I would have to wait 100 minutes later until the "final battle" which looked good, but was under appreciated due to sheer exhaustion of cute little jokes that filled the preceding minutes.

Bottom line, a great movie to take your girlfriend to. And even better, if you show up 5 minutes late, and leave 15 minutes early, there is pretty much no way either of you would know you were watching spiderman (except for the 4 scenes where he wheres the black suit and does the bad things that cause tension for the rest of the movie)
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 18:02   #2
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Also, I forgot to mention that Maguire ha put on a few pounds, and the existence of a double chin on spider-man was laughable, and the scenes where he was actually wearing the suit (not CGI scenes) were hilarious. The final scene showed his spare tire in all its glory.
Old 4th May 2007, 21:55   #3
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I just want to see Venom.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 23:20   #4
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Venom, I will admit, looked and sounded cool. It was just a shame this his part lasted a mere 10 of the 140+ minutes.
Old 4th May 2007, 23:42   #5
blickenstruck

My spidey-sense tells me you guys have too many comic books in your closets. No matter how much flashy CGI or computer animation goes into a sequel, it is still just a sequel. Does Dunst have a tire as well? Or does she get paid for more money shots in another well rated pg-13 film?
blickenstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 03:05   #6
Namelessv1
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
Venom, I will admit, looked and sounded cool. It was just a shame this his part lasted a mere 10 of the 140+ minutes.
That was bullshit. I've got to say I was really disappointed with how Venom was handled. He seemed almost marginal to the movie.
Namelessv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 03:11   #7
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I held little interest in this movie as it was but knowing that it's again a battle of spiderman versus his inner demons, I'll pass.
I'll wait for the XXX version.
Old 5th May 2007, 04:41   #8
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by blickenstruck
My spidey-sense tells me you guys have too many comic books in your closets. No matter how much flashy CGI or computer animation goes into a sequel, it is still just a sequel. Does Dunst have a tire as well? Or does she get paid for more money shots in another well rated pg-13 film?
Actually, I don't own a single comic book. The humor comes from the first movie, where he gets all ripped from being spider man, and now is a shell of the figure that he had in that movie. A "chubby" superhero is just funny.
Old 5th May 2007, 06:17   #9
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
I'll wait for the XXX version.
The webshots are better in that one, I hear.
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 06:52   #10
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
comedy is good
romantic not so much

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2007, 14:36   #11
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Kirsten Dunst's nipple
Old 6th May 2007, 05:16   #12
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

[QUOTE]Dlink said:
Quote:
Originally posted by blickenstruck
Quote:
Actually, I don't own a single comic book. The humor comes from the first movie, where he gets all ripped from being spider man, and now is a shell of the figure that he had in that movie. A "chubby" superhero is just funny.

Obviously you didn't read the comics. And this made the point that the majority of the non-comic fans rasp-berried about this flick. Spider-man was always about his relationship with MJ and his inner demons involving Spider-man. It was always like that.

Even more so, The symbiote used to change Peters apparel back in the day, and guess what he changed into? A leather jacket and biker boots. Y'know, like the "bad-ass" style of the sixties and seventies. So Sam Raimi made Peter Parker wear his hair in emo-style, so fucking what? How else was he supposed to change Peter visually? Give him a new face? Give him a fucking moustache so he could twist it while plotting to tie MJ to a train track?

The comic was always full of stupid comedy jokes because Parker is an idiot sometimes and MJ is a clueless twit. It's always been like that. Always.

It sucks when people totally unfamiliar with a comic book bitch when the movie based on the comic doesn't go the way they wanted it to go but instead goes the way the comic did.

Get real. This movie was made to make money, but it was based on a fucking comic book, one of the ones my dad didn't even read because it was too soap-opera for his angst-ridden tastes. Too bad you fell in love with Peter Parker on a false pretense. He was always in love with MJ, and he was always a dork. Period.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2007, 15:36   #13
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Remember when you can see erect Dunst nipple when she kisses upside down Spidey in the rain?

Best ... Spidey ... scene ... EVAR!
Old 6th May 2007, 16:12   #14
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Fickle
Obviously you didn't read the comics. And this made the point that the majority of the non-comic fans rasp-berried about this flick. Spider-man was always about his relationship with MJ and his inner demons involving Spider-man. It was always like that.

Even more so, The symbiote used to change Peters apparel back in the day, and guess what he changed into? A leather jacket and biker boots. Y'know, like the "bad-ass" style of the sixties and seventies. So Sam Raimi made Peter Parker wear his hair in emo-style, so fucking what? How else was he supposed to change Peter visually? Give him a new face? Give him a fucking moustache so he could twist it while plotting to tie MJ to a train track?

The comic was always full of stupid comedy jokes because Parker is an idiot sometimes and MJ is a clueless twit. It's always been like that. Always.

It sucks when people totally unfamiliar with a comic book bitch when the movie based on the comic doesn't go the way they wanted it to go but instead goes the way the comic did.

Get real. This movie was made to make money, but it was based on a fucking comic book, one of the ones my dad didn't even read because it was too soap-opera for his angst-ridden tastes. Too bad you fell in love with Peter Parker on a false pretense. He was always in love with MJ, and he was always a dork. Period.
All I was saying was fat spidey + no action + (stereotypical emo look != badass) == funny
funny != dark, action packed movie that was expected.
Old 6th May 2007, 18:27   #15
LuigiHann
Forum King

I expected a fun comic book movie.

It worked for me.

Old 7th May 2007, 22:57   #16
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally posted by Fickle

I agree.

The movies are not perfect but its pretty close to the comics.

And I double agree about the corny jokes spidey makes. That is something that stayed with him for as long as I could remember. It just wouldn't be him without them.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 07:26   #17
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
I just think that there were too many bad guys in this one. Seemed a bit "thrown together" to me. I still liked it though.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 09:04   #18
Arby

I guess we're not doing spoilers here. Hmmm. I'm not giving away 'too much', in any case, for any who are interested in not knowing more than they've already picked up here.

After reading so many lukewarm and totally negative reviews, I was willing to pass on this Spidey flick. But I'm off work for a week, so What the heck. I just kept my expectations low, as I usually do these days, and that worked.

I didn't mind the assorted villains, although the Sandman might have been one too many. But the horde of freaks should have bumped up the 'interesting' factor enormously. It bumped it up minimally. Had there been only one villain in this flick, together with the faulty directing and screwed-up script (more in the details than the broad outline), this installment would have been not just dead on arrival, but gone to dust to boot. (There is no question that a good script and talented direction doesn't require external aids - e.g., many freakish mutants or characters - in order to make a good flick. Look at T2 or Predator 2.)

Partly, I think I didn't get Raimi's style - right away. (And my thought about that is: Just because I didn't get his style, that doesn't make it bad.) But Raimi could have tried harder. Example: Spidey was pretty broken up about his friend Harry Osbourne. So why did he stop to talk to Sandman for 5 minutes while Harry lay mortally wounded? Well, Those over 10 might have thought about it.

Maybe Raimi wasn't allowed to try harder. Afterall, Movies these days are dishes that have too many chefs preparing them and the focus is on profit.

The movie needed to be more cerebral and rational and... well made. All the ingredients were there. Or maybe they were one too many.

*I thought for sure Campbell was going to abscond with the ring. That would have been hilarious. I'm not sure that the intended humor, in that scene, 'was' funny.
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 14:01   #19
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Saw it, hated it.

Bruce Campbell was the only redeeming quality of this movie.
Old 9th May 2007, 00:44   #20
LuigiHann
Forum King

Alternate Ending: (Spoiler)

After Spiderman defeats Venom, Sandman stops by to explain himself.
Spidey: So you're just robbing banks to save your daughter? My friend Harry is pretty rich, but he's dying. I bet if we take him to the hospital, he'll help pay for her operation.
Sandman: Okay.

I guess that would be too easy.

Old 9th May 2007, 13:25   #21
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I figured Spidey would reach out to him and help his kid but Spidey is a worthless excuse for a human and should be sprayed with a giant can of Raid.
Old 12th May 2007, 17:03   #22
rockouthippie
Banned

I liked Spiderman 1, tolerated Spiderman 2, but this movie was a total waste. I wasn't expecting much and even with that it was disappointing. I found myself looking at my watch.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 01:48   #23
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
I did look at my phone to see what time it was a couple of times.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 07:51   #24
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Go Bruce Campbell. Other than that, I could think of better ways to waste 3 hours.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 01:28   #25
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I'd rather watch a real spider build a web for a couple hours.
Old 3rd July 2007, 08:47   #26
Auris

SM 3 is absolutely waste of time
Auris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 08:49   #27
Auris

Quote:
I'd rather watch a real spider build a web for a couple hours.
LOL ... me too
Auris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 06:33   #28
demian

Send a message via Yahoo to demian
demian
demian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 08:20   #29
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by demian
demian
Post of the month!
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 13:29   #30
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Weekly post of the millenium
Old 12th November 2007, 10:51   #31
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

I saw Spider-Man 3 at last on DVD. I really liked it, just like I really did with the first two.

I've never read the comics, but I do agree with Fickle. The entire trilogy is all about the relationship between Peter Parker and MJ. Remember that the the first film opens with the line "My story is about a girl".

I like the fact that Raimi really explores the relationship between Peter and MJ and how it evolves over time.

The movie is not prefect; it does have flaws. It should have lasted three hours to exploit all the storylines but Raimi certainly couldn't make that. There are a couple of useless scenes (Peter doing silly scenes, the dance scene at the Jazz club) and the biggest caveat is the underuse of Gwen Stacey's character (could've made for an interesting quadrangle). But overall, the movie is excellent; it's way above anything that's been made so far with superhero films.

Wonder what they'll do with Spiderman 4
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 12:01   #32
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Twilightseer

Wonder what they'll do with Spiderman 4
Hopefully hand it over to a new director and crew and kick some life into the fanchise.

Don't get me wrong, Rami is a good director who did great things with Spidey.... but..... it fell into the trap of the '3rd superhero sequel' it tried to cram in too much story into 2.5 hours, too many bad guys.

1 was great, 2 was also a good cracking film, but 3 was just bloat in parts, I've no doubt we will at somepoint get a 'extended 3.5' cut of the film, to be honest , it could do with more of a trim than an extended.

The whole sandman subplot just seemed tacked on for the sake of introducing another bad guy to the film.

Look what happend with the 90's batman films.

1) Batman - Superb - Great bad guy
2) Batman Returns - Great - Two bad guys , although you could argue it was actually one...
3) Batman Forever....er..two bad guys, a new love interest, a new sidekick, a couple of minor bad guys.....
4) Batman & Robin - Two bad guys, another new love interest, another sidekick , so now you have 3 heroes.. another minor badguy, an even more minor bad guy... Utter cack.....

It took nearly 10 years and a total reboot of the franchise to make Batman cool again in Batman Begins, the similarities between how the Spidey and Batman films developed are spooky, lets hope if they do make a Spidey4 it dosn't end up the total fuck up the Batman & Robin was.
Old 12th November 2007, 13:36   #33
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

In my opinion, you can't really compare the Spiderman and Batman franchises.

The 3 Spiderman movies were made by the same director and the same cast, and were all good (just my opinion).

Batman became trash when they handed it over to Joel Shumacher, who made two unwatchable films. I haven't seen Batman Begins so I can't comment on it.

I agree with the criticism that the writers tried to put too many things into Spiderman 3; unlike you, I'll gladly take any extended version if it ever gets released . But even with too much stuff, it still makes for a very good show in my opinion.

Sam Raimi said that he wanted the franchise to continue, with another director while he would act as the producer. Good idea, but only if they come up with good scripts and keep the same cast, which is far from done.

Old 12th November 2007, 15:11   #34
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

You are right, Schumacher killed the original Batman franchise stone dead, the fact they couldn't keep a lead actor from movie to movie should have set the alarm bells ringing...

I will say though, get out and watch Batman Begins, the best Batman film since 'Returns', great stuff.

Maybe my opinion of Spidey3 was harsh, I only watched it on a shonky pirate DVD, but it did feel a little fat around the edges.

What I'd like to see in 4 (if they make one) is less of the romance between parker and MJ, a little is ok, but both of them mooning over each other for the film again felt a little 'fat', more action!.

Robert Rodriguez would make a good director, he certainly knows how to move a comic book to the big screen and he's not short on talent when it comes to action flicks either....
Old 12th November 2007, 15:21   #35
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Interestingly, IMDB already contains an entry for Spider-Man 4, set for release in 2009

Whoever writes it, directs it and produces it, I'd like to see:

- An enemy that is a real nemesis for Spider-man, not someone he can defeat in 5 minutes

- Bring back Gwen Stacey and give her a real storyline

- Stick to one villain (two is just too much for a 2-hour film)

Feel free to add to the list
Old 12th November 2007, 16:01   #36
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

I think there was some comments a while back by Sony execs that S4 was a cert, just without naming any solid cast/crew to go with it.

There again, the IMDB is a bit like Wikipedia, information at times can be 'sketchy' and inaccurate as some of it is user submitted.

One villain yes, but if you have to have two of them at least have them working together, venom, sandman and goblin MK2 was just too much to follow at times, they all had their own agenda which added to a confusing plot.

As for a villain, I'd go for Kingpin
Old 18th November 2007, 13:23   #37
essoo

Send a message via Yahoo to essoo
thanx
essoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 23:37   #38
Ghost07

Quote:
Remember when you can see erect Dunst nipple when she kisses upside down Spidey in the rain?

Best ... Spidey ... scene ... EVAR!
Try watching it in Blu-Ray.
Ghost07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2008, 00:55   #39
djmc

SPIDERMAN 3 BITES!

(nuff said...)
djmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 10:32   #40
gillcrist32
Banned

oh... really