Old 11th May 2003, 10:54   #1
fredthemasterofpuppets

"play audio CD" function

Well, I don't want to use in_cdda.dll to play my audio CDs. But, When I replace this plugin with in_CDreader.dll, the function Play->Play Audio CD isn't available anymore =(

So, Have I to stick with in_cdda.dll ?
fredthemasterofpuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2003, 11:13   #2
Lion King
Major Dude

known bug in CDReader, it works fine with winamp 2.81
Lion King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2003, 11:54   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The only noticeable difference between the two plugins now is cddb versus freedb, though cdreader is still more configurable.
I've ditched cdreader for now, because disk space and internet connection aren't an issue for me, so I'm happy to use in_cdda with cddb.

The main thing is that it now supports digital audio extraction like cdreader, as long as it's checkmarked in in_cdda config (which it isn't by default).
Let's face it, the main reason people use cdreader is for D.A.E. support
(working eq & vis/dsp/output plugins).

Copah must be aware of the 2.9x incompatibility issues by now, and I'm sure he'll fix his plugin for those who still want freedb/cdplayer.ini support...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2003, 12:49   #4
Lion King
Major Dude

CDReader can use WindowsNT's build-in STPI interface to digitally read the Audio CDs (that's why I prefer it)

also the extraction speed setting is usefull for those insane fast cdrom drives (i had to set it to full speed on win9x/adaptec aspi/24x cdrom though iirc - on win2k/nero aspi/same drive any speed seems to work)

btw. i have some choppy playback (sometimes) and slow vis (always after a while) problems with in_cdda digital/win2k/nero aspi (wnaspi32.dll 2.0.1.50)
Old 11th May 2003, 16:06   #5
fredthemasterofpuppets

Well, in fact, even with DAE Enabled with in_cdda.dll, I have gap between tracks, really annoying when the CD is a Live. It is not the case with in_cdreader.dll. =(

Any Idea ?
fredthemasterofpuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2003, 16:23   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I had to increase "buffer ahead on track change" value to 1200ms and "cut off" value to -60dB (with "remove silence" checkmarked) in out_ds config (Buffer & Other tabs) to achieve gapless mode with in_cdda.

Oh, and I think you need to uncheck "sample input" in in_cdda config too.

I'd also consider going back to cdreader if only the menus were there.

btw, afaik, in_cdda doesn't use/require aspi on NT-based OS'es (only 9x-based OS'es require aspi). It uses the native NT SCSI library interface by default . . .
I think...
Old 11th May 2003, 16:45   #7
Lion King
Major Dude

no it doesn't, it uses analog playback if no aspi layer is present (i know that for sure because i don't have an audio cable between cdrom and soundcard)
Old 11th May 2003, 17:23   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Well, yes, it uses analog playback by default, because "Enable DAE" isn't checkmarked by default... (and, if it is checkmarked, it will fall back to analog on Win9x if aspi isn't installed).

I'm really not sure about WinNT4, nor Win2k for a matter of fact,
but in WinXP it definitely doesn't use ASPI, it uses the Native NT SCSI Interface.

The only aspi file I've got installed is Nero's wnaspi32.dll (same version as yours) and DAE still works if I remove/disable that file.

The plot thickens . . .

btw, notice 2.90 whatsnew.txt

* added digital audio extraction in in_cdda.dll
- (needs WNASPI32.DLL under Windows 9x/ME)
Old 11th May 2003, 17:45   #9
Lion King
Major Dude

if i disable wnaspi32.dll the seekbar moves but i don't get any sound and no vis (there's nothing to sample from because of the missing cable), stpi in cdreader works fine with or without wnaspi32.dll

did you search the whole windir for winaspi32.dll? maybe it's still in the dllcache, mine is only in the winamp dir

btw. this maxi-cd i'm currently listening to makes zero problems :/
the choppy playback could be releated to heavy cpu load/memory usage (remember my old computer?), but i don't see what could cause the vis slowdown on the other cds

edit: that changelog note was only needed because winamp crashes when wnaspi32.dll isn't found on win9x systems iirc, that's also the reason why that option is disabled by default
Old 11th May 2003, 18:16   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Nope, there's no other aspi files anywhere in my windows dir.
Trust me on this one!

Originally, I manually copied wnaspi32.dll from the Nero dir into my System32 dir, because some old program I was using was moaning about no aspi layer being installed.

ASPI isn't installed by default in Win2k/XP and afaik isn't required, unless some app specifically requires it (in which case it should install it's own version, eg. as with Nero)
Quote:
that changelog note was only needed because winamp crashes when wnaspi32.dll isn't found on win9x systems iirc, that's also the reason why that option is disabled by default
Did I miss this discussion somewhere? It's the first I've heard about it crashing under Win9x if wnaspi32.dll isn't found. Was it fixed for 2.91? If not, then it should be in the Official Buglist.

Anyway, I'm just getting more and more confused by this thread with every new post. I'm off to get some dinner & take a breather . . . back soon.
Old 11th May 2003, 19:47   #11
Lion King
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Did I miss this discussion somewhere? It's the first I've heard about it crashing under Win9x if wnaspi32.dll isn't found. Was it fixed for 2.91? If not, then it should be in the Official Buglist.
Justin said that he can't fix it, I'm not 100% sure if it crashed or did some other wierd thing (I can test that tomorrow), maybe it was just a "dll not found" message instead of just falling back to analog (sounds more reasonable now that I think about it)
Old 13th May 2003, 14:08   #12
Lion King
Major Dude

quick test on win9x:

i get that popup when nero's aspi is used but not with adaptec's aspi (?)
the vis also slows down on win9x, it stopped before the song was finished once

an odd thing is that it always plays analog when it accesses the cd the first time, foobar2000 gives an error message when i access the cd the first time but cdreader plays it fine (automatic read retry?)

i had to set cdreader's speed to maximum, i didn't get any skips/choppy playback with any plugin

enough confusion, DJEgg? :P
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support